History Tomorrowland Music Loops?

Skippy

Original Poster
As always, coming here with my Disney Park Audio questions!

Anyways, throughout the long process of organizing the music I have, I keep running into questions about the music loops in Tomorrowland over the years, so I'd like, with (your) help to put together a nice time line of music played in the area.

1971-1990? - I have no clue
1990?-1994 - New Age Loop
1994/1995? - Raymond Scott recordings?
1994/1995? - A George Wilkins' rip off of those recordings?
1995-2003 - New Age Loop
2003-Today - Futuristic Medley Loop

Any help I'd love. I have the New Age Loop, Eleven of the Wilkins recordings, and the Current Loop.

p.s. Also with the Wilkins loop. On AllEarsNet they claim the lobby music in Alien Encounter (r.i.p.) was twelve tracks composed by Wilkins. I'm not sure if this is the same music or not, but I'd love to know, if someone has answers.

Skippy

Original Poster
Yes, thats from the current loop all the songs have the same sound to them. some of them even sound the same... I have a good quality version of that loop. unfortunately I can't find good places to spit it up into.

maelstrom

+ 1989-2003 Tomorrowland Music Loop:
Bubble Shuffle - Larry Carlton
Night Fire Dance - Andreas Vollenweider
The Palace - David Arkenstone and Andrew White
Summers Day - Suzanne Ciani
Windswept - John Jarvis
Inside the Sky - Steve Haun
Inside the House - Azuma
Sea Space - Larry Carlton
Fire Ritual - Patrick O'Hearn
Behind the Waterfall - David Lanz and Paul Speer
Generation Prelude - Peter Buffett
Generation - Peter Buffett
Elsewhere - Vangelis
Hidden Pathways - Bruce Mitchell

According to the Disney Music Loops website, the George Wilkins loop was used only for a few months in 2003. I used to have this loop but I just hated it, so now it's gone.

I have no idea what came before the new age loop. I'd be very interested in this as well.

Skippy

Original Poster
Here's a txt file that I somehow got concerning some of the tracks... make sense out of it if you can, it seems confusing overall to me. I probably got it from disney-central, but i can't be sure anymore.

Some information concerning this loop (taken from MagicMusic.net):

Re:Tomorrowland Area Music (old)
´ Reply #4 on: August 4, 2004, 07:22:14 AM ª

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ciar_j:

The "New Age" version of the Tomorrowland BGM was one of the last loops assembled by the late great Jack Wagner and was probably introduced no later than 1990 and no earlier than late 1989. It was temporarily replaced for the 1994 rehab by a pair of new loops -- first, a set of 1940s-era recordings by the Raymond Scott Quintette and then a newly-recorded Scott soundalike before reverting to the "New Age" loop (roughly 1996 - 2003). The original poster does ask a very good question: namely, what the Tomorrowland BGM was during the 1970s and 1980s... anyone?

Steve

General Disney Music Discussion / General Discussion / Re:Tomorrowland BGM ala Raymond Scott? on: March 22, 2003, 11:49:49 AM
Started by dtats, Post by sds910

Mike:

Some months back, the music you describe was posted to one of the Usenet newsgroups. Unfortunately, I've lost the name of the individual who posted, but I did retain his text file along with the music.

Here's the text file -- which sounds to my ears as if it's been written by Jim Hill -- and this should NOT be construed as an argument that *he* posted the music to Usenet:

About the music...

As you wander through "new" Tomorrowland, does it strike you odd that the soundtrack to the boiler-plate and rivited "Future That Never Was" is the same sleepy New Age music that park has been playing since the 1980s?
It wasn't always this way.

When the rehabed Tomorrowland first opened, it moved to the quirky beat of original Raymond Scott recordings. Scott was the prolific composer of jazz music that would later be remembered by most as being the underscore of several Warner Brothers cartoons. The "B" section of his masterpiece "Powerhouse" usually accompanied cartoon visuals of any assembly-line process or factory.

After a number of months, the scratchy original recordings of Scott's work gave way to newly recorded music which sounded exactly like Raymond Scott songs but were in fact close approximations of the tunes, changed enough it would seem to avoid having to pay royalties. This music cheerily played for several months more, until it too suddenly disappeared, only to be replaced once again by the New Age loop which was played in the "old" Tomorrowland.

I was baffled, as Scott's tunes were the perfect aural counterpart to Tomorrowland's new look. And Esquivel's take on "Harlem Nocturne" was still blaring away in Space Mountain's exit tunnel.

Several years later I discovered the raymond scott website (raymondscott.com) and on a page detailing public performances of Scott's works, found this entry:

Tomorrowland - DisneyWorld[sic]: (Orlando, FL) six Scott Quintette compositions and recordings blatantly used as musical template for constantly-running soundtrack loop at renovated theme park attraction; infringement settled out of court (1995-96) So there it was -- Disney was too cheap to pay for Scott's songs and was busted for it.

And it turns out this wasn't the first time the Mouse had tried to rip off Raymond -- the score for "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" also illegaly used elements of Scott's "Powerhouse," forcing a lawsuit and ultimately a settlement.

So here, presented for your enjoyment, is the mysterious, Raymond Scott-like second "New" Tomorrowland Area Loop.

Having repeated all that, I can tell you the following:

1) The Scott soundalikes were composed by George Wilkins.

2) Disneyís use of raymond scottís original recordings was NOT illegal, as their agreement with ASCAP/BMI allows for unlimited use of 3rd-party music, provided that the music cannot be *synchronized* to anything, and used for background ambience only.

3) Having Wilkins write and record the soundalikes, however, may have treaded heavily into the immoral -- and *dangerously* into the realm of plagiarism. As the original writer above notes, Scott's widow *won* a lawsuit against the ripoff music used for "Honey I Shrunk The Kids".

4) The curious fact that you heard the Scott soundalikes as late as August 2001 suggests a temporary substitution was made for some reason by Media Design, as the New-Age loop is still in general use there.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Hawk4255

Wow, I had no idea the Tomorrowland area music history was so...tumultuous, for lack of a better term.

Here's a question I've really been looking to find an answer for:

On the current Tomorrowland loop, what is the song that plays from about the 23:10 mark until around 23:45? It is very "large and dramatic" sounding. Is it from a previous attraction?

FYI, the loop I have was downloaded off the DC Torrents, it is the current loop (2003-present)

Any help appreciated, thanks!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Assuming it`s the same loop (39:34 total) the piece you are reffering to I think is a variation of the v2 preshow video music of Alien Encouner.

Skippy

Original Poster
I'm not sure what one's on DC-Torrents, but I'll assume it's the source one source one I have. And the whole song (in my version) stretches from the 21.12 mark to about 23.45. Hmm... I'm not hearing Alien Encounter, but I hear it in another section of the loop earlier... blended into what sounds like something from SSE. Aaah. this new loop confuses me at times. Let me check what version is on DC-Torrents, it may be the live one...

Skippy

Original Poster
Okay, so here's what I have for you.

I believe your version is the live/low-quality version, which would mean, yes it is the times that you posted. It's "Space" from the top of Spaceship Earth. I've also seen it called "Top of the World" I'm not sure if any official name was released for it. Either way it's the music played at the top of the ride, before your decent. Now in the Tomorrowland loop, it is mixed into the track that contains what I also think is the holding room music from Alien Encounter, but the little theme that is mixed in there (from 23.12-23.45) is "Space" (not to be mistaken as the track from Horizons)

Phew. there we go.

dxwwf3

I'm pretty sure that the AE video room just used the normal New Tomorrowland loop until the show started. I can remember hearing all of the tracks of that loop in there at one point.

Skippy

Original Poster
dxwwf3 said:
I'm pretty sure that the AE video room just used the normal New Tomorrowland loop until the show started. I can remember hearing all of the tracks of that loop in there at one point.
Actually thats the second time I've heard that now, I can't remember personally, but that makes sense, anyways the track I'm talking about from AE would be between the video and skippy's scene, then later when going into the main show room.

edit-- which is "Seize the Future", I probably should've mentioned that from the start...

dxwwf3

SkipKid are you talking about "Seize the Future"?

That's what they play after the TV and before S.I.R.

BTW, the New Tomorrowland loop I have is 58:46 long. And I'm talking about 1994 New Tomorrowland. Not the current loop.

Skippy

Original Poster
SkipKid are you talking about "Seize the Future"?

That's what they play after the TV and before S.I.R.
yes. you must've just missed my edit.

BTW, the New Tomorrowland loop I have is 58:46 long. And I'm talking about 1994 New Tomorrowland. Not the current loop.
I know, wasn't AE closed before the new loop anyways?

Hawk4255

Skip -- is there a better version out there than the one I downloaded from DC Torrents? If so, do you mind sending it to me or showing me to where I can get it?

As far as the part I'm referring to being "Space" from Spaceship Earth, I think you're right...I listened to the two for comparison, but they are pretty different, yet sound similar, so I am assuming that it is indeed a variation of "Space" (and I really like ithe TL variation!).

Thanks! If anyone else has any further info/downloads of this part of the song, feel free to get at me.

Skippy

Original Poster
Hawk4255 said:
Skip -- is there a better version out there than the one I downloaded from DC Torrents? If so, do you mind sending it to me or showing me to where I can get it?
I think I'm going to try to get it up on DC-Torrents sometime instead of the one they have... because a few people have been asking for it. I'll let you know if it gets up there.

Videoteck

Hey people I moving my discussion here I didnt see it when I made my post. Anyways yes the waterfall one is very werid I never heard about it before all I know is it seems like it was mixed very well.

jeffb

maelstrom According to the Disney Music Loops website said:
I too hate this loop, I never listen to it, I am glad Disney had to pull it. The music makes me think past not future.

I have a loop that I am pretty sure comes from Disney Central that is labelled either Space Mountain Area 1977 or Tommorrowland Area 1977 and runs about 24 minutes. It is almost all synth and effects.

maelstrom

jeffb said:
I have a loop that I am pretty sure comes from Disney Central that is labelled either Space Mountain Area 1977 or Tommorrowland Area 1977 and runs about 24 minutes. It is almost all synth and effects.

I have that too. It's pretty cool.

Skippy

Original Poster
Hmm... I'll have to check disney-central when popkid starts serving tonight... I for one... actually like the Wilkins loop I'm not sure how it would've fit with Tomorrowland, I never heard it when it was playing, but I like the sound of it anyways.

About the time frame for the Wilkins loop, I believe dml has it wrong and it was only played in 1994 or 1995, I'm not sure exactly. But unless they used it between loops when they switched in 2003, and I'm not sure why they would... then I don't think it was played.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom