HISTA will close May 10

T-1MILLION

Agreed, I dont think they know what to do with the space really, and they dont want to spend a dime obviously. Aside though from international vistors is merch really going to be that big a seller here? I see why it sells tons in california but here?

There are tons of MJ fanatics worldwide. The merch will sell for a while, although I am not sure if it will as much as Disney is expecting or wants. This is more for the MJ fans than theme park fans but its a win win because there are many of both, but MJ fanatics will go nuts over it, even if they never even saw EO originally.

As far as opinions of many Disney fans who want or expect better, all I wanna say is that, they don't really care about us.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There is a sample of some of the original effects. Easily done these days.
The false lasers are laughable, but that does show the extent of the original in theatre effects, most of which will be missing when the show returns.

T-1MILLION

The false lasers are laughable, but that does show the extent of the original in theatre effects, most of which will be missing when the show returns.

You know what else is laughable? The rainbow shirt glowing and the animation coming from Michael's fingertips..or the way he floats in mid air facing the audience....or just about most of the other on screen special effects in the show to the modern audience.

Things just have not aged well, but if they did it right the effects could return, but then there is that whole plussing thing they could go with...but yeah they don't do that anymore. They change or let go.

there are some easily done laser prisims and starfield effects done today for cheap cost. With the two months they are implementing this show they could do it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
but if they did it right the effects could return, but then there is that whole plussing thing they could go with...but yeah they don't do that anymore. They change or let go.

there are some easily done laser prisims and starfield effects done today for cheap cost. With the two months they are implementing this show they could do it.
Indeed. Cheap route once again. The biggest complaint from Disneyland was the lack of 1986 physical effects and the bouncing floor trying to make up for it.

zweltar

Yawn... HISTA, EO. Get rid of both, time for something new already...
Yep, this is what I've thought all along. Why bring back something 20 years old in a park dedicated to the future??? Disney is just trying to make a quick, easy buck. Too bad they were too slow to capitalize on death. This would have netted way more cash had they made the move sooner after MJ's death.

ABigBrassBand

I'm extremely happy that this film is being closed, it showed it's sign of age when the year 2010 rolled in and we realized that the 90's pop-culture has to go. I really wish that they would just get rid of it for good :-/

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm extremely happy that this film is being closed, it showed it's sign of age when the year 2010 rolled in and we realized that the 90's pop-culture has to go. I really wish that they would just get rid of it for good :-/

Well you could say that about any attraction that is based on any Disney movie. Just change the date: 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's

Alektronic

Right now, they are preparing to close HISTA on May 10. Last week it was going to be May 2. They have decided to upgrade the audio system and that is about it, they don't want to change it much because they will have to change it back again to HISTA after EO has had it's run of a year or so.

It sounds like the other parks are going all out with the special effects and make they will have good shows, but TDO wants to get by on the cheap. So it sounds like HISTA will be around for another 2-3 years, at least at Epcot.

Thanks Mythbuster for the advance info, it is good to have some insiders here, because TDO likes to wait until the last minute to make it official.

Testtrack321

Why bring back something 20 years old in a park dedicated to the future???

I think the error in this judgement is that Epcot, and EPCOT Center, has never been about the future per say. They were about progress, about the past, present, and future.

Every attraction up till Wonders of Life had this vision of presentationalism (call out to Passport to Dreams.) The rides were stories of us, our relation of the past and present to our future. SSE was about the progress of human communication and ideas and how this will shape the future. World of Motion, Living Seas, Listen to the Land, Horizons, Universe of Energy, they were all about this. Now every pavilion seems to have a backstory and some sort of history or organization behind it, with the noteable exception of The Land and SSE.

With one notable, and somewhat ironic in this discussion, exception, Imagination, which was supposed to be timeless and tie together the idea that our future comes from one little spark.

Future World has always been somewhat of an odd term to name that side of the park that so strongly features history. It wasn't until Innoventions and Mission:Space did we see a strong case for the future, to the point where M:S even takes place 20 years from now.

Captain EO's problem in Epcot is the Imagination pavilion, and Epcot by and large, has evolved from a jewel building full of magic and wonder into the Imagination Institute. Things don't exist there because they inspire wonder, but they fit into the Institute story. No longer is Imagination about Making Memories and the Dreamfinder, but instead a look into the working of the (ironic) Imagination Institute. Captain EO doesn't fit into this anymore, unless WDI and TDO have developed additional story elements*. My gut feeling is that we're going to see it plopped down and left to stand on it's own in a story pavilion.

*My own 10 minute brainstorming session came up with the concept of the Imagination Institute Film Archives, or something similar, that shows runs of movies that have sparked the imaginations of millions through the years, and are presented in a historical context. The films should be enjoyed as imagination inspiring pieces and also enjoy the imagination behind their creation.

Alektronic

I think the error in this judgement is that Epcot, and EPCOT Center, has never been about the future per say. They were about progress, about the past, present, and future.

Every attraction up till Wonders of Life had this vision of presentationalism (call out to Passport to Dreams.) The rides were stories of us, our relation of the past and present to our future. SSE was about the progress of human communication and ideas and how this will shape the future. World of Motion, Living Seas, Listen to the Land, Horizons, Universe of Energy, they were all about this. Now every pavilion seems to have a backstory and some sort of history or organization behind it, with the noteable exception of The Land and SSE.

With one notable, and somewhat ironic in this discussion, exception, Imagination, which was supposed to be timeless and tie together the idea that our future comes from one little spark.

Future World has always been somewhat of an odd term to name that side of the park that so strongly features history. It wasn't until Innoventions and Mission:Space did we see a strong case for the future, to the point where M:S even takes place 20 years from now.

I would have to disagree with you. Horizons was all about the future, it didn't have a past. Even in the queue line, they talked about the future and it was called FuturePort. They showed technological advances in the Future and had 3 different adventures into future destinations.

Testtrack321

I would have to disagree with you. Horizons was all about the future, it didn't have a past. Even in the queue line, they talked about the future and it was called FuturePort. They showed technological advances in the Future and had 3 different adventures into future destinations.

I counter your move with a youtube video! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbuA4m4QZQY

Minute mark 1:25 to 4:40.

Even though it dealt with "the future", it was the history of "the future." Here it isn't future time, but the historical, and nostalgic look at the future and what it said about those time periods. From the idea of having a giant cannon shoot a man in a bullet to the moon, to a neon metropolis, it's the history of "the future." The narration even references looking back at people "dreaming about the future for centuries", then showing current advances in technology, before heading into space colonies and undersea hotels. Granted, Horizons was weighted more towards the future than World of Motion, which had one giant room and a HM effect, but it still followed this general formula.

Alektronic

I counter your move with a youtube video! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbuA4m4QZQY

Minute mark 1:25 to 4:40.

Even though it dealt with "the future", it was the history of "the future." Here it isn't future time, but the historical, and nostalgic look at the future and what it said about those time periods. From the idea of having a giant cannon shoot a man in a bullet to the moon, to a neon metropolis, it's the history of "the future." The narration even references looking back at people "dreaming about the future for centuries", then showing current advances in technology, before heading into space colonies and undersea hotels. Granted, Horizons was weighted more towards the future than World of Motion, which had one giant room and a HM effect, but it still followed this general formula.

So are saying even though Horizons was talking all the about the future and not the past. It didn't belong in Future World? When Future World opened it was all about the future of Communications, Transportation, Agriculture, Oceanography, and Energy. Horizons combined them all and showed man's relationship with the future.

The big problem was they didn't keep it updated with the future, so technology caught up to them.

Testtrack321

So are saying even though Horizons was talking all the about the future and not the past. It didn't belong in Future World? When Future World opened it was all about the future of Communications, Transportation, Agriculture, Oceanography, and Energy. Horizons combined them all and showed man's relationship with the future.

The big problem was they didn't keep it updated with the future, so technology caught up to them.

Reread what I wrote. The idea that Epcot, and Future World, was "dedicated to the future" was wrong. It never was the intention to have a new Tomorrowland. WDI created attractions that took our history of something, where we are now, and then applied them into a vision of where we can go with it.

Your rebuttal was that Horizons was "all about the future", and you listed things that take place in future time compared to where we are now (such as FuturePort, destinations, etc) and didn't have a past.

My counter argument to that was Horizons very much so had a historical aspect to it, one that looked at "the future" as envisioned by those in the late 1800s, in the 1940s and 50s, and then now.

Watch the video, Horizons featured 3 minutes of people "dreaming about the future for centuries." That's historical. Then it included looking at what we are doing today in the omnimax theaters.

My main argument in my first post was that SSE, WoM, Horizons, UoE, Living Seas, and Land used history and present to pave a path into the future. There is future in Future World, but it is not ALL about future ideas, with no room for history, current events, or timelessness. Epcot is about the future with retrospection and mediation. And to get this back on topic, Imagination has never been caught up in this, until the recent refurbishment installed the organization theme to it.

"Keeping it updated" doesn't have anything to do with my argument and this discussion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Horizons was split into 3 broad acts during the ride; the past during the first part, the present in the Omnispheres and the future after the Omnimax films to the end.

EpcotServo

Generally all Epcot rides (and Tomorrowland specials by Walt) begun with a comical, and whimsical look at how we arrived where we are today or how the past dreamed the future would be, followed by a factual look at what the future might look like as imagined today. Notably, Universe of Energy, Horizons, and World of Motion were big on that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom