Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

Lilofan

I have traveled between Orlando and Tampa many times on business. Orlando isn't the only tourist spot in Florida.

The planning for rail between Tampa and Orlando has already been done - was part of the 2000 and 2009 proposals. And that included the necessary survey of land, along with legislative authorization to purchase the Central Florida Rail Corridor from CSX.

It's a little over an hour's drive on I-4 between the 2 cities. There are people who live in Georgia and work in Florida. I know because I've worked with them. And most have a good 45 to 50 minute commute each way - and not on an interstate.

And Miami isn't just a tourist destination. It is a major artery to South America via plane and ship. And an international banking center.

And there is more to Orlando than just tourists. Try visiting downtown. Observe the names on those buildings.

There is more to Florida than Walt Disney World. Why else would it be one of the fastest growing states in the country?
You are sadly mistaken. There is no Orlando and its forward progress without WDW.

DisneyCane

It's a little over 1 hour to drive between Tampa and Orlando. I-4 is a heavily traveled roadway and getting more and more congested. It is arguably the busiest interstate. Why do you think it's being expanded?

Why fly between those two cities when it is faster to drive, when you consider the added time - and hassle - flying?

The point isn't the eventual switch to electric vehicles. You'll still have a heavily congested road. The point is to reduce vehicular travel in a heavily congested corridor.
But how many of those I-4 drivers would rather take a train and not have their vehicle at the destination? Neither Tampa not Orlando is like arriving in New York City where you don't need a car to get around. Even if you could cut a few minutes off of the trip, you add the expense of needing to Uber or take a taxi all over the place. Large numbers aren't commuting from Tampa to Orlando to stay at WDW or Universal on property for a few days.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
But how many of those I-4 drivers would rather take a train and not have their vehicle at the destination? Neither Tampa not Orlando is like arriving in New York City where you don't need a car to get around. Even if you could cut a few minutes off of the trip, you add the expense of needing to Uber or take a taxi all over the place. Large numbers aren't commuting from Tampa to Orlando to stay at WDW or Universal on property for a few days.

Did I say they were? Most of the commutes between those two cities is primarily business related. I've driven around downtown of both cities. I'd frankly rather use a taxi or ride sharing. Which I do when visiting Atlanta.

DisneyCane

I mean you could ask the same question for any transit system on earth. Why did they build an airport in Orlando? Clearly before there was an airport nobody was flying into Orlando so why was it needed?
I assume from your screen name that you like trains but this isn't remotely the same thing. The airport brought the option of high speed and long range travel to Orlando. High speed rail just bring an alternative means of high speed, relatively short range travel to Orlando. Most people who drive those routes will continue to drive. People who don't want the 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hour drive can fly now. It's those flyers that are the biggest potential market for a high speed rail link between those cities. That's why it is important to know how many people fly on those routes.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You are sadly mistaken. There is no Orlando and its forward progress without WDW.

Incorrect. WDW doesn't explain why a former commuter institution, UCF, is now the largest university in the SUS, with 72,000 FTEs.

Central Florida is growing. WDW isn't the sole reason. You think the Villages, the largest self contained retirement community in the US, exists only because its residents liked to visit WDW?

Please.

Lilofan

Incorrect. WDW doesn't explain why a former commuter institution, UCF, is now the largest university in the SUS, with 72,000 FTEs.

Central Florida is growing. WDW isn't the sole reason. You think the Villages, the largest self contained retirement community in the US, exists only because its residents liked to visit WDW?

Please.
I don't agree. Many businesses, homes, condos, timeshares , small and mid size businesses, snowbirds are tied into FL # 1 industry ( you know what that is surely ) . You may not believe it but it is true. Central FL is growing with many retiring, relocating for work and it is all tied into directly/ indirectly to the tourism industry. Some locals refuse to believe it. The low property taxes that FL residents pay? Thank the Mouse among other things. UCF? That is just a school right in the middle of Central Florida's #1 driver - tourism.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't agree. Many businesses, homes, condos, timeshares , small and mid size businesses, snowbirds are tied into FL # 1 industry ( you know what that is surely ) . You may not believe it but it is true. Central FL is growing with many retiring, relocating for work and it is all tied into the tourism industry. Some locals refuse to believe it. The low property taxes that FL residents pay? Thank the Mouse among other things. UCF? That is just a school right in the middle of Central Florida's #1 driver - tourism.

I've lived in this state for 55 years. I'm well aware of the economics that drive the state, having been in state budgeting for some 20 years.

Property taxes are local and support local governments, including schools. Florida has no state income tax...that situation pre-dates WDW.

Orlando existed pre-WDW. As did the Orlando airport.

People aren't retiring to Florida because of tourism. People are retiring to Florida because of (1) weather and (2) low cost of living, including taxes. Which predate WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Which is why its call letters are MCO. However, until the mid-1970s, it was jointly operated as a military/civilian airport. I flew into it at least 8 times a year on my way back to college in the early 1970s.
I didn’t realise I’d flown through the shed type terminal as a kid until years later.

Lilofan

I've lived in this state for 55 years. I'm well aware of the economics that drive the state, having been in state budgeting for some 20 years.

Property taxes are local and support local governments, including schools. Florida has no state income tax...that situation pre-dates WDW.

Orlando existed pre-WDW. As did the Orlando airport.

People aren't retiring to Florida because of tourism. People are retiring to Florida because of (1) weather and (2) low cost of living, including taxes. Which predate WDW.
True Orlando existed pre WDW like a small sleepy city however Orlando would not be what Orlando is today without WDW and that's a fact.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I didn’t realise it was bombed.

It was used as a training ground for 2 bomb squadrons during WWII - craft included B-17s, B-25s and B-26s. Name was changed to McCoy in the 1950s after the AF colonel, who was the commander of the unit hosting the competition, was killed during a SAC Bombing and Navigation Competition.

Once military drawdown started after the end of Vietnam, McCoy became less strategic and was considered for closure.

While still operational, we had hoped my brother could have been assigned there during his 4 years in the AF. He surprisingly wanted to remain in Nebraska.

Goofyernmost

the Miami-fort Lauderdale -wpb service was operational and increasingly popular due to word of mouth. Exceeded projections often. It will be back in a bigger way once mco opens and normalcy returns. I guess you'll just have to be convinced by the numbers once open. Because there won't be any case against the service then.

Clearly they have done their due diligence.

There are some great YouTube contributors that have current updates on the expansion. The new segment opens next year or shortly after. Fascinating project. IMO.
I guess I should make myself clearer. I am expressing my opinion based on whatever knowledge that I personally have of the area. When compared to the 73 years I have been on this planet, I have spent probably 150 days on the highways of Florida. I am never going to see it completed and if I did I will never be riding it. Some opinions are based on nothing more then what, on the surface, I would do if it were my money and what I think is fiscally wise. Based on what I have seen over the last few years about Florida my guess is that 10 years from now everyone in Florida will be back to horse and buggy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom