Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

kurtk

Has there been any speculation or actual information on where this train will end at Disney Springs? There doesn't seem like a lot of land in the general area for a train station and the tracks. The road around DS is busy enough without stopping for a passing train.

Lilofan

Which has no bearing on safety which I'm guessing was your angle with mentioning the schools. It will be grade separated just like 417. They bought next to a major highway, and there are sound walls up for some subdivisions already. It's not like Brightline trains will be sounding loud horns the entire way through the 417 ROW, just the sound of its movement.
Have you ever heard the SunRail train that goes from Kissimmee straight to downtown Orlando via Orange Ave with the train horns blaring throughout the day going past residential homes while it runs on the tracks?

corran horn

Which has no bearing on safety which I'm guessing was your angle with mentioning the schools. It will be grade separated just like 417. They bought next to a major highway, and there are sound walls up for some subdivisions already. It's not like Brightline trains will be sounding loud horns the entire way through the 417 ROW, just the sound of its movement.
You've guessed incorrectly. West Creek Elementary is yards from 417. I imagine a train'll be pretty loud. So is Endeavour off Town Center. Hunters Creek Middle School too.

If you can see many sound walls between developments and 417 you're doing a better job than I have driving that route.

"they bought next to a major highway" is a hell of a thing as they potentially put a train in there.

I'm not against it, but I can see why people on that route wouldn't be jumping for joy.

(there's also businesses, particularly around Landstar and OBT/Town Center that I'm sure will be impacted. This isn't a monorail riding high in the sky)

Last edited:

maxairmike

All it takes is one fool to be walking on the tracks or driving across it to cause an incident.
If someone from a nearby residential area is walking across this, they have tried very, very hard to trespass and is in no more danger than if they had walked up there to cross 417 for some inexplicable reason. Again, this is grade separated, likely running at the same/similar level as 417, or possibly elevated.

As for the SunRail mention, SunRail uses level crossings/is not grade separated for the entire route and needs to use their horn. I don't believe there's any requirement for sounding a horn on a separated track (though I could be wrong on that).

You've guessed incorrectly. West Creek Elementary is yards from 417. I imagine a train'll be pretty loud. So is Endeavour off Town Center. Hunters Creek Middle School too.

If you can see many sound walls between developments and 417 you're doing a better job than I have driving that route.

"they bought next to a major highway" is a hell of a thing as they potentially put a train in there.

I'm not against it, but I can see why people on that route wouldn't be jumping for joy.

(there's also businesses, particularly around Landstar and OBT/Town Center that I'm sure will be impacted. This isn't a monorail riding high in the sky)

I never said many, I'm surprised there aren't more, but I do believe there are a few. I've been driving 429/408 more than 417 lately though, so I may be misremembering. With new track and proper maintenance, I believe new trains are generally no worse than highway noise.

ETA: And if they're putting them up all along US27, they really should be putting them up along 417. I just hope the widening helps cut down on the typical congestion between the Landstar and JYP area toll plazas every afternoon once things get back to more normal traffic levels.

corran horn

It'll be interesting to see where they put the tracks here, for example...

1615503098130.png

That's a down-berm between the highway and the school and the overpass (over Town Loop) is literally the width of the lanes both ways and that's it.

maxairmike

View attachment 538804

That's a down-berm between the highway and the school and the overpass (over Town Loop) is literally the width of the lanes both ways and that's it.

Unless CFX is modifying their widening plans to go entirely outward with an extra lane instead of expanding almost entirely using the median like current documents/concepts show, I expect the tracks to run on the north/west side of the roadway for the entire stretch along 417. Those lines on either side are the property/ROW boundaries, so you can see they have room for roughly another pair of 2-3 lane roadways, the berm would likely just be steep or a wall.

EDIT: I realize that likely means some slight configuration changes for all westbound exits, but that might have already been in the cards for some. Have to try and find the widening plans again. Think I may have linked them earlier in the thread.

Lilofan

If someone from a nearby residential area is walking across this, they have tried very, very hard to trespass and is in no more danger than if they had walked up there to cross 417 for some inexplicable reason. Again, this is grade separated, likely running at the same/similar level as 417, or possibly elevated.

As for the SunRail mention, SunRail uses level crossings/is not grade separated for the entire route and needs to use their horn. I don't believe there's any requirement for sounding a horn on a separated track (though I could be wrong on that).

I never said many, I'm surprised there aren't more, but I do believe there are a few. I've been driving 429/408 more than 417 lately though, so I may be misremembering. With new track and proper maintenance, I believe new trains are generally no worse than highway noise.

ETA: And if they're putting them up all along US27, they really should be putting them up along 417. I just hope the widening helps cut down on the typical congestion between the Landstar and JYP area toll plazas every afternoon once things get back to more normal traffic levels.
I disagree. Highway traffic noise and train noise on the tracks sounding their horns day and night is completely different. In regards to the Sun Rail track that goes via Orange Ave through Kissimmee and Orlando SunRail goes through residential neighborhoods, homeless areas which it is fairly easy for someone to walk on or near the tracks. One group that will be displaced are the nearby gators in the small bodies of water around the 417 Toll Road. The gators will relocate somewhere else.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I disagree. Highway traffic noise and train noise on the tracks sounding their horns day and night is completely different. In regards to the Sun Rail track that goes via Orange Ave through Kissimmee and Orlando SunRail goes through residential neighborhoods, homeless areas which it is fairly easy to walk on or near the tracks.
Brightline won’t be sounding their horns... the ROW will be grade-separated.

SunRail runs on a Mainline Railroad right of way that the Atlantic Coast Line was operating on in the 1920’s.

maxairmike

I disagree. Highway traffic noise and train noise on the tracks sounding their horns day and night is completely different. In regards to the Sun Rail track that goes via Orange Ave through Kissimmee and Orlando SunRail goes through residential neighborhoods, homeless areas which it is fairly easy to walk on or near the tracks.

Ok, let me try and make this simple. Just like 417 the tracks will cross roads via bridges. SunRail crosses roads at road level. The Brightline track in 417 ROW is essentially 417 in train form. There's no pedestrian or cross traffic on 417. After breaking to the new track to reach 417, it will (almost certainly) be entirely grade separated just like an interstate all the way to any station at Springs.

The only level crossings in the understood proposed Brightline route are around the Meadow Woods SunRail station. Outside of that, it's essentially interstate in train form, so no need (as far as I know) to use their horn.

Also, here's a link to the (current?) renderings for the 417 plans again. It shows the median being completely eliminated for the extra travel and breakdown/emergency lanes. Either way they go, putting tracks to the outside or bumping their widening to the outside, they'll have some exit reconfiguring to do.

417 rendering

*Edited to clean up what I was saying and for more information.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Ok, let me try and make this simple. Just like 417 the tracks will cross roads via bridges. SunRail crosses roads at road level. The Brightline track in 417 ROW is essentially 417 in train form. There's no pedestrian or cross traffic on 417. After breaking to the new track to reach 417, it will (almost certainly) be entirely grade separated just like an interstate all the way to any station at Springs.

The only level crossings in the understood proposed Brightline route are around the Meadow Woods SunRail station. Outside of that, it's essentially interstate in train form, so no need (as far as I know) to use their horn.

Also, here's a link to the (current?) renderings for the 417 plans again. It shows the median being completely eliminated for the extra travel and breakdown/emergency lanes. Either way they go, putting tracks to the outside or bumping their widening to the outside, they'll have some exit reconfiguring to do.

417 rendering

*Edited to clean up what I was saying and for more information.
Got it , thanks for these renderings , I can understand the residents of homes, condos, apts of Hunters Creek/Meadow Woods concern of train noise etc . I don't think they will go quietly about this train project being built in their area.

maxairmike

Got it , thanks for these renderings , I can understand the residents of homes, condos, apts of Hunters Creek/Meadow Woods concern of train noise etc . I don't think they will go quietly about this train project being built in their area.

Without the need for using the horn, it shouldn't be much or any louder than the already existing highway traffic noise. A moving diesel train seems to be about the same volume as highway traffic from what I can tell. I believe the tracks for Meadow Woods have been there decently longer than any of the subdivisions bordering it, so they knowingly bought near rail tracks. No different than buying near an airport and having to live with it possibly growing in air traffic, IMO.

Lilofan

Without the need for using the horn, it shouldn't be much or any louder than the already existing highway traffic noise. A moving diesel train seems to be about the same volume as highway traffic from what I can tell. I believe the tracks for Meadow Woods have been there decently longer than any of the subdivisions bordering it, so they knowingly bought near rail tracks. No different than buying near an airport and having to live with it possibly growing in air traffic, IMO.
Agreed, I think living on the flight path right near the airport runway is worse for the homeowners. Those planes are beyond loud.

trainplane3

I actually have relatives that live less then 200ft away from active tracks with no barrier. Honestly if you aren't looking or listening for the train, you can miss it entirely. And these are long, slow freight trains passing by. A highspeed, relatively short passenger train would probably be quieter.

lazyboy97o

This. The train will not be much louder than the highway. It is also only going to be going by a few times an hour at a relatively good speed. It’s not a bunch of slow, long freight trains.

joelkfla

View attachment 538804

Obviously, any overcrossing will require new bridges for either additional lanes or rail tracks.
How do kids that attend these schools know not to enter the highway?
Perhaps the retention ponds and fence provide a clue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom