Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

trainplane3

Assuming the train will be traveling along I-4, where do we think the station will go? This is my best guess ⬇️

View attachment 515044
Train will travel in the middle of 417 and then turn onto i4 and run along it:
os-1546010984-g9nawsrc2n-snap-image

Of course the plans could've changed but probably not by much. They were given permission for 417's berm years ago.

Regardless of how it routes, it might have a weird "kink" to make the DS stop:
train.JPG

lazyboy97o

Anyway this can be integrated into the new off ramp/interchange project at crossroads? I just can’t imagine they’d want this actually at Springs. Also I wonder if this will fall under Disney or RCID in regards to daily operation?
RDIC, of course. No need to spend Disney money when you can take out cheap government loans or grants for rail service. I'm pretty sure the parking garages at DS are RCID.
Why would Disney, directly or indirectly through the District, pay for operations? Brightline wanted the station for their service so it seems they would be the one paying for its construction and operations.

trainplane3

So this would put the station closer to WWOS/Celebration?
I actually just re-edited my post to show a bit closer picture:
train.JPG

I have a feeling it's going to be close to DS and not IN DS. I'd be glad to be wrong though. The fact Disney gave permission means it'll be on property so this route probably changed or will change a bit.

dmw

In the Parks
No
This has the potential of bringing day guest to the parks, too. I wonder if Disney is planning a special bus line for Brightline passengers to the parks. There would need to be some way to prevent driving guests from parking at DS and get the bus to the parks, of course.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder if this will bring an end to Magical Express? The whole point of ME was to keep you in the world with no rental car. This would effectively do the same thing. Disney could offer discount tickets for the ride, not free of course, and you still would be locked in at Disney. They would have to provide some sort of luggage service as the busses at DS would not be able to accommodate it. I'm sure that Disney pays a pretty penny to Mears for ME.

I don’t see anyway this doesn’t eliminate magic express in some capacity....or at least move the shuttle service into the property to handle luggage/check ins

ryguy

I am not a huge fan of this project, that being said, I feel like a train between Tampa and Orlando is far more appealing than Miami to Orlando. I feel like a lot of people would use Tampa to Orlando. I question the viability of this project from South Florida to Orlando.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am not a huge fan of this project, that being said, I feel like a train between Tampa and Orlando is far more appealing than Miami to Orlando. I feel like a lot of people would use Tampa to Orlando. I question the viability of this project from South Florida to Orlando.

Actually...linking south Florida with Orlando from a tourist standpoint is very advantageous. There are a lot of opportunities to make the two travel destinations more closely linked if there is an easy, convenient travel option:..just my opinion.

For me...it opens up cruise ports in Miami and Fort Lauderdale and makes side trips to Orlando way more attractive.

FerretAfros

I wonder if this will bring an end to Magical Express? The whole point of ME was to keep you in the world with no rental car. This would effectively do the same thing. Disney could offer discount tickets for the ride, not free of course, and you still would be locked in at Disney. They would have to provide some sort of luggage service as the busses at DS would not be able to accommodate it. I'm sure that Disney pays a pretty penny to Mears for ME.
Although one could conceivably ride Brightline from MCO to WDW, it seems unlikely that they would eliminate DME.

DME was created as a one-seat ride to connect the airport to the various hotels. However, taking the train would require multiple transfers, using the automated peoplemover from the airport terminal to the multimodal station (in addition to the one taken from the gates to the terminal), train from the multimodal station to the WDW station, and then a bus from the WDW station to the hotels themselves. It's just not especially convenient, especially when you factor in luggage for each transfer, along with the propensity of tourists to screw things up any time they have to take their fate into their own hands. While it can be annoying how often the DME folks check and re-check your destination, their system is well designed to be idiot-proof.

Additionally, with all the transfers, I don't imagine this could possibly save any time when compared to a coach bus. Even when the buses are running infrequently and stop at multiple hotels, the total time from the terminal to your hotel would likely be faster than the multimodal extravaganza this would require.

Furthermore, this train system is designed for long-distance intercity travel, not short-distance local trips. The headways between trains will be more similar to flight routes from an airport than a subway system. During peak periods, trains might run every half hour or so, but could dwindle to 1.5-2 hours between trains during other times of day. While high-speed trains often have several stations in major cities to get long-distance passengers closer to various destinations, they're really just not suited for this type of short trip. Areas with established high-speed rail systems (Japan, France, China, etc.) rely on local bus and subway systems for local trips within any given city.

The only way I see this replacing DME is if Brightline manages to negotiate a contract with Disney at a lower price per passenger than Mears currently has. However, with the huge amount of fixed infrastructure for rail to build and maintain when compared to coach buses that use roads maintained by others, I doubt they'll be able to come close.

Realistically, this station is designed for travelers coming from other Brightline destinations (Miami, Tampa, etc.), as a way to get them closer to their ultimate destination in WDW. It's a convenient enough location that it could convince long-distance travelers to use the train instead of driving; it's the type of anchor destination that really gives the system a reason to exist (unlike the airport station, which is only convenient due to the amount of space available, rather than proximity to anything of interest). Any intracity travel within Orlando would be an ancillary benefit, not a primary goal.

JoeCamel

Train will travel in the middle of 417 and then turn onto i4 and run along it:
os-1546010984-g9nawsrc2n-snap-image

Of course the plans could've changed but probably not by much. They were given permission for 417's berm years ago.

Regardless of how it routes, it might have a weird "kink" to make the DS stop:
View attachment 515047

How about more like the blue line? I can't see them turning north at I4 - 417 to DS

shaky.PNG

Rose&Crown

This project is all about moving cruise passengers to Orlando faster and easier. If you combine a Disney cruise out of miami with WDW now no need for a rental car.

If and when the cruise industry is back this is going to do quite well I think.

trainplane3

How about more like the blue line? I can't see them turning north at I4 - 417 to DS

View attachment 515061
It's easier drawn up then done. You'd have to build bridges, grade inclines, and have several tight turns. I don't think Disney would want to replace the their building and encroach that closely to Typhoon Lagoon.

My red line is just what was set into stone a few years ago. I'm curious on how this affects this section. I could almost see them building a elevated station over top of Buena Vista and connecting it to a garage or the bus loop.

Was it @Magic Feather that mentioned months ago in the Skyliner thread that the DS bus loop area was intended to be a large transit hub during the early days of Hyperion Warf? I'm sorry if it was someone else.
Actually...linking south Florida with Orlando from a tourist standpoint is very advantageous. There are a lot of opportunities to make the two travel destinations more closely linked if there is an easy, convenient travel option:..just my opinion.

For me...it opens up cruise ports in Miami and Fort Lauderdale and makes side trips to Orlando way more attractive.
And even then, it'll remove some cars off the highway as well which is a benefit for everyone. I know I'd rather shave an hour off, relax, and not have to deal with traffic.

I take Amtrak between Pittsburgh and Philly typically once a year. That thing takes about an hour (or two) longer then a drive and I'd still rather take it then dealing with driving. I can sleep, walk around and enjoy the views.

Last edited:

wedenterprises

I wonder if a DME from the Disney Springs Station to the resorts would work. Disney could know ahead of time how many guests are arriving on the train and where they are heading. If they are heading to a park there could also be WDW buses available.

I also wonder if they'll make the DS station exclusively accessible by bus/DME so that guests don't park at DS and walk.

Magic Feather

I'm under the impression that Magical Express will function as is, unless sudden bad blood between Disney and Mears pops up.

Brightline has publicly said that they won't actively advertise going between MCO and WDW, and I think that might be because of Disney and DME. I see it being a "take DME for free" or "pay to take the train to Springs, enjoy Springs, then use Disney Transport back to your hotel"

I could also see DME, but just for luggage, being advertised as a service. Then allowing people to spend their final hours on property at Springs where they take the train to MCO, where their bags are already checked in.

rio

I wonder if a DME from the Disney Springs Station to the resorts would work. Disney could know ahead of time how many guests are arriving on the train and where they are heading. If they are heading to a park there could also be WDW buses available.

I also wonder if they'll make the DS station exclusively accessible by bus/DME so that guests don't park at DS and walk.

Unless they use the Disney Springs bus depot, I doubt they’d be able to move DME. Traffic is just too terrible around that location to add a full second bus depot, and I’m not sure they’d have the space.

They could resolve the Disney springs to park problem by requiring all guests boarding a park-bound bus to have a Brightline ticket stub. There isn’t as much of a concern for riders going to the station, so that leg of the trip could be more relaxed.

I believe that Brightline did want to build a station at Port Canaveral though. Does anyone else know if this is correct/if this ever got approved? I could see Disney Cruise Line traffic moving to brightline if this ever did happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom