Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

wedenterprises

Unless they use the Disney Springs bus depot, I doubt they’d be able to move DME. Traffic is just too terrible around that location to add a full second bus depot, and I’m not sure they’d have the space.

They could resolve the Disney springs to park problem by requiring all guests boarding a park-bound bus to have a Brightline ticket stub. There isn’t as much of a concern for riders going to the station, so that leg of the trip could be more relaxed.

I believe that Brightline did want to build a station at Port Canaveral though. Does anyone else know if this is correct/if this ever got approved? I could see Disney Cruise Line traffic moving to brightline if this ever did happen.
I agree that area is congested. They would have to make room for *some* buses, though.

Is it possible to build a station on the Strawberry lot over by Cirque? Maybe this is how they separate DHS from Train parking.

joelkfla

I agree that area is congested. They would have to make room for *some* buses, though.

Is it possible to build a station on the Strawberry lot over by Cirque? Maybe this is how they separate DHS from Train parking.
Brightline platforms are 850' long. I see 3 possible locations around DS with enough linear space:
  1. The Speedway lot, extending into the Cast Services lot, as has been discussed above. This would be ideal if the trains do come up I-4.
  2. Strawberry lot, possibly extending north from the West Side bus loop.
  3. Across both Watermelon & Mango lots, between Orange Garage and West Side bus loop.
For options 2 & 3, tracks could exit the property along the westbound I-4 to DS ramp.

The press release said the platform will be elevated, so some existing parking could be preserved below it. The elevated platforms also could extend across BVD or the West Side bus loop.

Last edited:

UCF

Original Poster
I'm under the impression that Magical Express will function as is, unless sudden bad blood between Disney and Mears pops up.

Brightline has publicly said that they won't actively advertise going between MCO and WDW, and I think that might be because of Disney and DME. I see it being a "take DME for free" or "pay to take the train to Springs, enjoy Springs, then use Disney Transport back to your hotel"

I could also see DME, but just for luggage, being advertised as a service. Then allowing people to spend their final hours on property at Springs where they take the train to MCO, where their bags are already checked in.
Where has Brightline said they wouldn't advertise going between MCO and WDW? They've specifically said the opposite in the past...

I've heard quite a while ago that the options being explored were to replace Magical Express with the Brightline train. Brightline was claiming to Disney they could deliver people more quickly then Magical Express on average. They were willing to possibly run separate/additional trains for Disney as well.

My understanding was a top concern for Disney was that Brightline only provided 2 stops in the Orlando area for that to happen: MCO and Disney. This was a problem for Orlando as they wanted some non-airport access to Brightline, and earlier this year Brightline proposed eliminating all other stops, and in exchange to Orlando offering to let them use their rail line to build an east-west Sunrail route.

I have to assume the reason Brightline is now eliminating all local stops from its route is to satisfy Disney to get a Magical Express contract. It likely makes financial sense for everyone as well (except Mears). Disney will be seeking rent for the station, Brightline can get guaranteed tickets/ridership for their service, and people can get to their hotels faster.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And isn't this new proposal just a branch going from DS to MCO only? The cross-state line will stop at MCO and continue past WDW.

JoeCamel

And isn't this new proposal just a branch going from DS to MCO only? The cross-state line will stop at MCO and continue past WDW.
I would hope it is a connection between the airport and WDW using the same right of way rather than another stop on the "near high speed" route. I think they will run the train along 417 to world center drive then the stop at DS. Taking a loop out of there to enter the I4 corridor if only one route. Either way would work.

esskay

This will allow Branson to instead work on his dream of teleportation onto a ship traveling at warp speed.
It was never Bransons project. Virgin Group were buying a tiny stake in Brightline as a licensing tie in. Thats what Virgin does. Branson owns a tiny number of Virgin companies, they just license the name out to over 400 companies and take a nice chunk of cash. No idea why, there's been more failures than successes so it's not exactly a fantastic brand to associate yourself with!

JoeCamel

It was never Bransons project. Virgin Group were buying a tiny stake in Brightline as a licensing tie in. Thats what Virgin does. Branson owns a tiny number of Virgin companies, they just license the name out to over 400 companies and take a nice chunk of cash. No idea why, there's been more failures than successes so it's not exactly a fantastic brand to associate yourself with!
I think you get a weekend on his island if you license the brand ;)

esskay

I wonder if this will bring an end to Magical Express? The whole point of ME was to keep you in the world with no rental car. This would effectively do the same thing. Disney could offer discount tickets for the ride, not free of course, and you still would be locked in at Disney. They would have to provide some sort of luggage service as the busses at DS would not be able to accommodate it. I'm sure that Disney pays a pretty penny to Mears for ME.
Can't see it having the slightest of impact. There's a big difference between taking a train to Disney Springs and then having to lug all that luggage across and through disney springs to the bus stop, with busses that are not kitted out for luggage vs a coach directly to your resort.

Magical Express isn't going anywhere, not to mention the train wouldn't be free.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney buses can't handle the luggage. There's no benefit going to the DS bus terminal where there are passengers-without-luggage buses.

Wherever the train stops, there will likely be luggage-capable buses and shuttles that make the rounds of several resorts each. You wouldn't need more than six new bus bays.

Assuming the 417 right of way exists and then needs to head to DS...

1606168123491.png

Note that the land Disney owns is the purple and the faded green.

1606168270284.png

Although... if it's just a hub, and there's no reason to make DS a 'destination'.... then there are plenty of other places on the property to create a train terminal to simply be a resort hub.

halltd

I’m dying to know where at Springs there’s enough room for a high speed rail station coming from the airport that will need tons of connections to property. How far away is still considered “Springs”? It needs a big enough radius to turn off from I4 too.
Maybe it’s really in the I4 median but they’re gonna take out the Suntrust building or something and connect it to Springs with the pedestrian walkways already there?

halltd

The last plan I saw had the tracks going down 429 from the airport to i4 to Tampa. It doesn’t make sense to take 417 and then go back north to Springs. Plus if they ultimately want to go to Tampa, WDW is just a stop, not a spur.

429 and i4 makes way more sense.

If you look up the beyond I4 ultimate plans online, you’ll see the rail row in all the drawings. It even shows a station by celebration, but that all may be old now. I assume the row is still there though.

maxairmike

I’m dying to know where at Springs there’s enough room for a high speed rail station coming from the airport that will need tons of connections to property. How far away is still considered “Springs”? It needs a big enough radius to turn off from I4 too.
Maybe it’s really in the I4 median but they’re gonna take out the Suntrust building or something and connect it to Springs with the pedestrian walkways already there?

If it is actually in the Springs area, the most likely placement is between Casting/Grapefruit and TDO. There's not enough space in the median in that area IMO, there's not the land on either side available to make a wide median like around World Dr, and I don't see them completely covering the highway plus exits in that spot with the station.

bpiper

The last plan I saw had the tracks going down 429 from the airport to i4 to Tampa. It doesn’t make sense to take 417 and then go back north to Springs. Plus if they ultimately want to go to Tampa, WDW is just a stop, not a spur.

429 and i4 makes way more sense.

If you look up the beyond I4 ultimate plans online, you’ll see the rail row in all the drawings. It even shows a station by celebration, but that all may be old now. I assume the row is still there though.
429 is the western beltway. Just how would it possible use that road?

halltd

If it is actually in the Springs area, the most likely placement is between Casting/Grapefruit and TDO. There's not enough space in the median in that area IMO, there's not the land on either side available to make a wide median like around World Dr, and I don't see them completely covering the highway plus exits in that spot with the station.
That part of I4 gets ripped up next and widened, though. There a rail ROW in the median. Maybe not big enough for a station, though. On the plans, it shows it further South by Celebration. Things must have changed though.

bpiper

I can't see it being a spur. The passengers on one leg would be facing forwards, while on the other leg, would be facing backwards... Passengers will NOT like that. My significant other gets nauseous if she has to ride facing backwards....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom