Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

JoeCamel

I'm now in the Tampa area and most of my closer family is in Broward, and while I'd love to be able to casually hop on a higher-speed (than Amtrak) train to see them for the weekend, my previous line of work has given me enough knowledge to know that far more people down the southeastern seaboard of Florida hop in front of trains than ever usually get reported in the media...and I don't want to chance having to deal with a several-hour delay and/or being bussed around the scene.
Plus Miami is only a ~3 hour drive on good road.

DisneyCane

I'm not so sure the name "Virgin" is great branding for a train to take small children to Disney. Yes, I know the name doesn't really refer to that use of the word and there are things like extra virgin olive oil. Something just strikes me as odd for a bunch of 5 year olds to be boarding the Virgin train to go see Mickey!

TrainsOfDisney

I'm not so sure the name "Virgin" is great branding for a train to take small children to Disney. Yes, I know the name doesn't really refer to that use of the word and there are things like extra virgin olive oil. Something just strikes me as odd for a bunch of 5 year olds to be boarding the Virgin train to go see Mickey!

Do you not remember the Virgin Megastore at Disney? Goodness those were the days :(

I rode bright line soon after they started operations - great startup with good equipment and nice modern stations. If the Florida economy returns hopefully they will have a great future.

MonorailCoral

Plus Miami is only a ~3 hour drive on good road.
I meant from Tampa but Orlando applies as well

3 hours Tampa to Miami?? I either have the wrong car, or I don't have a badge to flash. ;)

The children?? What??

I thought their plan was to name the trains after the princesses...

JoeCamel

3 hours Tampa to Miami?? I either have the wrong car, or I don't have a badge to flash. ;)

The children?? What??

I thought their plan was to name the trains after the princesses...
I never have a problem with that time. That is south Tampa/shore to north Miami. Google lists it at 3:36

Nubs70

Nubs70

You don't think Boris will bail his company out?
Boris very well might, but I would not risk it if I were Brightline. Brightline is going to have enough trouble in a Post Covid mass transit world.

Branson is in some serious trouble. How is his premium cruise line looking? He is highly leveraged with a bleak future.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Walt Disney World plans to expand its shopping and entertainment complex by adding a Brightline rail station at Disney Springs.

Brightline, which is currently building near high speed rail service from South Florida to Orlando International Airport, said Monday the company and Disney entered into an agreement for the station.

“The design concept for the proposed station at Disney Springs at Walt Disney World includes a lobby on the ground level, passenger facilities and an upper level train platform,” Brightline said in a statement. “The proposed location would be in close proximity to Walt Disney World Resort’s four theme parks, two water parks and more than 25 hotels.”

The rail company did not provide an estimation as to when construction may begin, or how the project is specifically being funded.

Brightline CEO Patrick Goddard first confirmed to Spectrum News in December 2019 that it was looking to add a station at Walt Disney World as a part of its overhaul Central Florida expansion.

“Brightline will offer a car-free connection to the millions of visitors from around the state and the world who plan to make Walt Disney World a part of their vacation plans,” Goddard said in a statement to Spectrum News Monday. “Our mission has always been to connect our guests to the people and places that matter, and Walt Disney World Resort is a tremendous example of this.”

Crews are targeting a 2022 completion period for the South Florida to Central Florida rail link, which will be anchored by a station at the new Terminal C at Orlando International Airport. Once completed, Brightline would offer near high speed rail service from MCO to Miami with stops in between, including West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and other cities."

maxairmike

"Walt Disney World plans to expand its shopping and entertainment complex by adding a Brightline rail station at Disney Springs.

Brightline, which is currently building near high speed rail service from South Florida to Orlando International Airport, said Monday the company and Disney entered into an agreement for the station.

“The design concept for the proposed station at Disney Springs at Walt Disney World includes a lobby on the ground level, passenger facilities and an upper level train platform,” Brightline said in a statement. “The proposed location would be in close proximity to Walt Disney World Resort’s four theme parks, two water parks and more than 25 hotels.”

The rail company did not provide an estimation as to when construction may begin, or how the project is specifically being funded.

Brightline CEO Patrick Goddard first confirmed to Spectrum News in December 2019 that it was looking to add a station at Walt Disney World as a part of its overhaul Central Florida expansion.

“Brightline will offer a car-free connection to the millions of visitors from around the state and the world who plan to make Walt Disney World a part of their vacation plans,” Goddard said in a statement to Spectrum News Monday. “Our mission has always been to connect our guests to the people and places that matter, and Walt Disney World Resort is a tremendous example of this.”

Crews are targeting a 2022 completion period for the South Florida to Central Florida rail link, which will be anchored by a station at the new Terminal C at Orlando International Airport. Once completed, Brightline would offer near high speed rail service from MCO to Miami with stops in between, including West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and other cities."

I find the placement a little odd, unless this is completely segregated from Springs, as in 0 forms of direct foot traffic possible from the Springs area to the station. I can't imagine it going well with 3 free parking garages plus the surface lots right there. People will absolutely try to park for free instead of (I'm assuming) paid parking at the station lot/garage, and while yes they can be towed, I'm sure the volume would make that a slight pain. There is probably enough room between Grapefruit and TDO for the station (and parking), but I'm not sure about the curve radius necessary to get from the I-4 median (assuming that's what they'll be using) to the station and then back to the median. Although if it's coming from the south end of the airport station and is a spur station instead of "mainline" station...that might be easier to route.

Assuming the train will be traveling along I-4, where do we think the station will go? This is my best guess ⬇️

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 8.39.32 AM.png

castlecake2.0

Anyway this can be integrated into the new off ramp/interchange project at crossroads? I just can’t imagine they’d want this actually at Springs. Also I wonder if this will fall under Disney or RCID in regards to daily operation?

icc2515

I wonder if this will bring an end to Magical Express? The whole point of ME was to keep you in the world with no rental car. This would effectively do the same thing. Disney could offer discount tickets for the ride, not free of course, and you still would be locked in at Disney. They would have to provide some sort of luggage service as the busses at DS would not be able to accommodate it. I'm sure that Disney pays a pretty penny to Mears for ME.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom