Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

lazyboy97o

Let’s not forget even with a stop at Disney Springs, Disney or someone would have to provide transportation from there to the resorts itself. It really didn’t seem ideal other than the “it’ll have a stop at Disney” headlines
Transfers aren’t unusual when using transit. A bus ride could well be worth it to people instead of driving from Tampa or Miami. Including SunRail could also have increased options for people.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Transfers aren’t unusual when using transit. A bus ride could well be worth it to people instead of driving from Tampa or Miami. Including SunRail could also have increased options for people.
Oh I agree it would have been nice for a lot of people, it just wasn’t the automatic DME replacement just because it was going to have a stop at Disney Springs

UNCgolf

This would have never worked as a DME replacement without Disney investing money in additional transfers, which I doubt they would have done. Even if they did, though, it would have likely been the least appealing option for the majority of guests.

But having a station would still provide a benefit for some percentage of guests, and not doing it seems silly.

Sir_Cliff

This would have never worked as a DME replacement without Disney investing money in additional transfers, which I doubt they would have done. Even if they did, though, it would have likely been the least appealing option for the majority of guests.

But having a station would still provide a benefit for some percentage of guests, and not doing it seems silly.
I'm a bit mixed on whether it would have provided much benefit to Disney as it seems like a pretty inconvenient and not especially cost effective way to travel to the parks and resorts. Perhaps for solo travellers and those intending just to visit Disney Springs it would have been convenient, otherwise I'm not so sure. I doubt Disney would see much benefit in laying on free transportation from the train to the parks and resorts, so would the cost and inconvenience of paying a train ticket and then an Uber or taxi from the station to your onward destination really make sense for many people?

Overall, I don't see what they have to lose in having the train extend to Disney Springs. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if the benefits were never expected to be that great and would now be expected to be not worth extra cost and hassle from Disney's side.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
While I can't find the details, it sounds like after the route changed to get it to the Convention Center, it no longer passes alongside Disney's property so there isn't anywhere on Disney owned land to put the station.

Disone

I don't think this has anything to do with the logistics of getting people from the proposed Disney springs station to their specific destination within the Walt Disney World resort.

Walt Disney World just does not want all of its guest riding the train from the airport to Disney World to stop at Universal and international drive first.

WDW will not tolerate stop at their competitors station before their guests arrive at their station.

Universal actually probably just wanted to cancel the project but now are caught with having to donate the land and facilitate a station. Should be interesting to see if Universal actually finds a way to back out of this once construction begins on the actual route.

Either way, had the route not changed a Disney springs station would have happened. I don't believe the new route is any different from where the old route merged to I-4 down to Tampa.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
This isn't a surprising move but it just shows how outright petulant Disney has become. Their ego is so inflated they couldn't bear the thought of doing something for the betterment of the area. You'd think with the growing hostility toward them recently, this would have been a no brainer. Oh well.

donsullivan

Premium Member
This isn't a surprising move but it just shows how outright petulant Disney has become. Their ego is so inflated they couldn't bear the thought of doing something for the betterment of the area. You'd think with the growing hostility toward them recently, this would have been a no brainer. Oh well.
How is it petulant if the new route no longer passes alongside or thru their land? They can't just build a station if they do not own the land.

Twirlnhurl

Universal actually probably just wanted to cancel the project but now are caught with having to donate the land and facilitate a station. Should be interesting to see if Universal actually finds a way to back out of this once construction begins on the actual route.
The currently proposed Brightline route is dependent on the Orange County Penny Sales Tax for Transportation passing in November. So the odds of this route ever being built are pretty low.

I would love to be wrong, but I think it is very unlikely that Brightline will ever extend on new right of way beyond MCO.

donsullivan

Premium Member
You're being daft. See below.
I try to live in a world of facts. I live in the neighborhood that the old route passed right through alongside Hwy 417 on the path that went directly toward the WDW site before heading west to Tampa. Just because it might route 'along' I4 does not mean it will cross onto Disney property. All it needs to do is be on the east side of I4 and it's not on land Disney has any control over to build a station. Most of the route after WDW toward Tampa was alongside I4 which doesn't change, even if this does happen.

lazyboy97o

I try to live in a world of facts. I live in the neighborhood that the old route passed right through on the route that went directly toward the WDW site before heading west to Tamps. Just because it might route 'along' I4 does not mean it will cross onto Disney property. All it needs to do is be on the east side of I4 and it's not on land Disney has any control over to build a station.
And the fact is that a northern route was always an option, even if it was not the preferred route. It is also a fact that the plan is to use the I-4 right of way to get to Tampa. Disney’s land is directly adjacent to I-4, so please describe this completely new, unannounced route that somehow avoids Disney on the way to Tampa.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I try to live in a world of facts. I live in the neighborhood that the old route passed right through alongside Hwy 417 on the path that went directly toward the WDW site before heading west to Tampa. Just because it might route 'along' I4 does not mean it will cross onto Disney property. All it needs to do is be on the east side of I4 and it's not on land Disney has any control over to build a station. Most of the route after WDW toward Tampa was alongside I4 which doesn't change, even if this does happen.
I'm not interested in debating with someone who is intentionally being obtuse. There is no "new plan" that somehow allows the Orlando to Tampa route (which is using I-4) to completely miss WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom