Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

lazyboy97o

Do you all follow Tommy Hawkins? DS station was never practical for anything except excursion traffic to and from MCO. There was never a straight through station the trains would have to back in and we know how backing and WDW works out.
Anyway if you haven't seen this why not and if you have why are you surprised this station is a non starter??

This has been discussed and it wouldn’t be the first such station. The Brightline trains have locomotives at each end.

Vegas Disney Fan

Is there any reason Brightline couldn’t just build a WDW adjacent station?

It wouldn’t have the free advertising that comes with an official Disney stop but if Ubers were going to be needed anyway it seems this is still possible, they’ll just have to buy land and build all the infrastructure entirely on their own rather than using the existing Disney Springs infrastructure and relying on the Disney buses.

This has been discussed and it wouldn’t be the first such station. The Brightline trains have locomotives at each end.

This is very common in high speed rail in Europe also, a lot of cities don‘t have tracks running through the whole city so the trains pull in and exit the same way. This allows them to get closer to the heart of the city without having to build unnecessary track to keep going through it.

lazyboy97o

Is there any reason Brightline couldn’t just build a WDW adjacent station?

It wouldn’t have the free advertising that comes with an official Disney stop but if Ubers were going to be needed anyway it seems this is still possible, they’ll just have to buy land and build all the infrastructure entirely on their own rather than using the existing Disney Springs infrastructure and relying on the Disney buses.
That’s pretty much what they were doing. The plan was the take I-4 down to Tampa, using the right of way set aside years ago for rail. Disney property is literally right there next to I-4.

biggy H

The new route going via the 528 is going to be a lot slower and cost twice as much than going via the 417 as they have to build loads of crossings with gates.
We all know how people treat these sort of crossings in Florida by the high rate of incidents and fatalities on the line Brightline currently operate on. I suspect Disney doesn't want any of the bad press that is almost certain to happen when the first idiot drives around closed crossing gates and gets hit by a train

lazyboy97o

It says the route changed, not that Disney changed it. Given the anti-Disney climate in FL right now, I wonder who did this.
Brightline is not a state project. SunRail is currently owned and operated by FDOT but the new route was worked out by local officials, so local that Volusia county leaders were bothered by not being included. The purpose of the new route was to facilitate a stop near the Orange County Convention Center and SunRail service to Orlando International Airport. Brightline had been exploring a northern route along FL-528 that would have included a convention center stop but it generally followed the old Florida High Speed Rail route which was elevated and did not physically intersect with SunRail's tracks. Brightline's preferred (cheaper) southern route along FL-417 missed the convention center but did intersect with SunRail. Local officials worked out a route that stopped at the convention center, intersected with SunRail so it could expand service and would qualify for federal funding to make up the cost differences. Brightline have made no indication that they no longer intend to expand to Tampa (which would negate the need for a route) or use I-4 as the route to Tampa. Nobody has shown how this new route would be so different from the previously explored northern route that it hampers the feasibility of the Disney stop, especially since this new route was all about working out a right of way between Disney and the airport.

ppete1975

I wonder if when they cancelled magical express they had expected this to go through, and that it would be a "temporary gap" in easy transportation for out of state travelers.

TrainsOfDisney

Now I will say... we don’t know what discussions were happening behind closed doors... it could be that part of the agreement for having a station on Disney property is that brightline operates Disney - MCO shuttles hourly, etc. This new route will not only go past competition, it will also be slower and less direct.

That’s total speculation of course.

lazyboy97o

Now I will say... we don’t know what discussions were happening behind closed doors... it could be that part of the agreement for having a station on Disney property is that brightline operates Disney - MCO shuttles hourly, etc. This new route will not only go past competition, it will also be slower and less direct.

That’s total speculation of course.
A northern route was a possibility when Disney agreed to the station. The southern route being the only option seems like something that would have gotten out. It would have made this whole exercise to work out a third route futile.

Disstevefan1

My sarcasm didn't come through well enough. In the thread about DME ending, people were saying that the train was going to be the replacement for it. Obviously it never was going to be a legit replacement even when it was still happening. And I had to make fun of those posts.
Ah, that one got by me, yes, I totally agree with you and apparently Disney does too :)

Bob Harlem

Interesting, if Brightline ever adds that Port Canaveral/Cocoa station that's a missed opportunity for Disney Cruise Lines also. (Although they'd need to build 2 big train bridges to get over to Port Canaveral directly US1 & 528 is still pretty darn close to the port -- granted the nasa railway goes out close to there too, but it's a bit too close to the launchpads to use for public).

mattpeto

Brightline says an alternative station will be placed near the original Disney Springs site, but not on land owned by Disney -

I don't have the clearest understanding here but the convention site is not far from Disney property. Maybe there's hope that Brighline, Sunrail and Disney can still make the last hop possible eventually, a centralized spot that will benefit resort guests flying in from MCO.

Patcheslee

I think most of you are forgetting that the intended audience of Brightline is South Florida and Tampa residents who want to travel, not MCO passengers. It is 100% cheaper and convenient to Uber from MCO to your resort.
Since we fly into MCO, we thought about visiting Miami pre Disney vacation. It also opens up the possibility of Miami/Tampa cruise ports without needing to pay the extra flight cost for us.

O-Town

I actually agree with them on this, no reason to invest into a train that will drive right by (advertise) the competition with a large portion of your guests.

A much better plan would be direct transportation to and from the airport and your hotels… if only someone could think of a way to do that 🤦🏼‍♂️
As an Orlando resident, good for the change. This will connect the region to South Florida and the airport with proper transit.

Disney was trying to block the connection in order to reduce competition. Wanting to reduce competition is not wrong, but the best way for Disney to do this is to offer their own bus service to the airport.

However, blocking progress for the region to reduce competition and save a few bucks is wrong.

EDIT: Remove ambiguity.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom