Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

Lilofan

By that logic Disney should be taxed for all of the tourists driving on I-4 to get to the theme parks.
FL makes their money when tourists fund the 417 Greenway Toll Road at I-4 and Sanford exit. It is a multiple toll road approx $10 to drive to the WDW exit. It is expensive but it eliminates going though the bottleneck of I-4 downtown Orlando and points west.

lazyboy97o

FL makes their money when tourists fund the 417 Greenway Toll Road at I-4 and Sanford exit. It is a multiple toll road approx $10 to drive to the WDW exit. It is expensive but it eliminates going though the bottleneck of I-4 downtown Orlando and points west.
Neither Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise nor Central Florida Expressway tolls go to the state’s general funds. The money stay within the respective systems for building and maintaining their roads.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Here's the story if you get a paywall -

"Walt Disney World's (NYSE: DIS) plans for a Brightline high-speed rail station have derailed.

A representative with Disney confirmed to Orlando Business Journal that the plans for a station, announced in 2019, to connect to the multibillion-dollar Brightline project are no more.

“As many people who are involved in this project are aware, the new route configuration does not support a Disney Springs station and as a result, we don’t anticipate being part of this project," Disney spokesperson Avery Maehrer told Orlando Business Journal.

The company did not share any other details.

Executives with Brightline were not available for comment.

Brightline's current route is expected to take it along State Road 528 and Taft-Vineland Road — through the International Drive corridor — and down Interstate 4. Its previous route — when Disney first announced its involvement — had the train heading down State Road 417 and bypassing the tourist corridor.

That 417 route drew heavy criticism from multiple parties, including residents of the Hunter's Creek community and I-Drive business stakeholders.

The 528 route gained popularity as more parties including city of Orlando, Orange County and Universal Orlando Resort worked with Brightline to get the train to the Orange County Convention Center area on I-Drive.

That led to Universal pledging to donate 13 acres and money for an Orange County Convention Center-area train station that would be used by Brightline and SunRail, the Central Florida commuter rail system.

The new station likely will help service attendees of the convention center and future theme park guests of Universal's new Epic Universe theme park — set to open in 2025 across from the convention center — who fly in to Orlando or travel from South Florida.

Brightline's $2.7 billion, 170-mile Orlando to West Palm Beach expansion is roughly 80% complete and expected to finish construction by the end of 2022. The service is expected to start by 2023."

Gringrinngghost

Here's the story if you get a paywall -

"Walt Disney World's (NYSE: DIS) plans for a Brightline high-speed rail station have derailed.

A representative with Disney confirmed to Orlando Business Journal that the plans for a station, announced in 2019, to connect to the multibillion-dollar Brightline project are no more.

“As many people who are involved in this project are aware, the new route configuration does not support a Disney Springs station and as a result, we don’t anticipate being part of this project," Disney spokesperson Avery Maehrer told Orlando Business Journal.

The company did not share any other details.

Executives with Brightline were not available for comment.

Brightline's current route is expected to take it along State Road 528 and Taft-Vineland Road — through the International Drive corridor — and down Interstate 4. Its previous route — when Disney first announced its involvement — had the train heading down State Road 417 and bypassing the tourist corridor.

That 417 route drew heavy criticism from multiple parties, including residents of the Hunter's Creek community and I-Drive business stakeholders.

The 528 route gained popularity as more parties including city of Orlando, Orange County and Universal Orlando Resort worked with Brightline to get the train to the Orange County Convention Center area on I-Drive.

That led to Universal pledging to donate 13 acres and money for an Orange County Convention Center-area train station that would be used by Brightline and SunRail, the Central Florida commuter rail system.

The new station likely will help service attendees of the convention center and future theme park guests of Universal's new Epic Universe theme park — set to open in 2025 across from the convention center — who fly in to Orlando or travel from South Florida.

Brightline's $2.7 billion, 170-mile Orlando to West Palm Beach expansion is roughly 80% complete and expected to finish construction by the end of 2022. The service is expected to start by 2023."

Translation:

Universal Gets a Stop.

Disney:
giphy.gif

Gringrinngghost

I WILL wager $50 that they wanted to keep it but Josh D'amaro nixed it. He was the one who nixed all of the Anaheim subsidiaries when they found out there was a chance they would have to pay a living wage.

Gringrinngghost

What is the connection between Anaheim and this?
Anaheim’s ‘living wage’ ballot measure was to affect anyone who had tax subsidies and would have had Disneyland paying employees 18 dollars an hour by this year. Here is a brief timeline.

A timeline:
  • January 31st, 2018: Josh D’Amaro named to become Disneyland Resort President in press release.
  • March 5th 2018: Josh D'Amaro becomes Disneyland Resort President.
  • May 1, 2018: The Coalition of Labor Resort Unions, composed of 11 unions, submitted signatures for the initiative petition to the city clerk of Anaheim.
  • June 13, 2018: The Orange County Registrar of Voters verified that the coalition had collected at least the minimum requirement of 13,185 valid signatures—equal to 10 percent of the city's voters.
  • June 19, 2018: The Anaheim City Council voted 4-3 to place the initiative on the November ballot, rejecting the option to adopt the initiative or to order an impact report.
  • August 21, 2018: Josh D'Amaro sends a letter on wanting to end Tax subsidies.
1656369682951.png

• August 28, 2018: The Anaheim City Council voted to cancel deals with the Disneyland Resort that offered its parent company tax incentives for investing in its theme parks and a nearby shopping district.
  • November 6, 2018: The Initiative passes by 54.20%.
  • September 25, 2019: Josh D'Amaro named to become president of Walt Disney World Resort in press release.
  • November 2019: Josh D'Amaro becomes Walt Disney World Resort President.
  • May 18th, 2020: Josh D’Amaro named Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.

lazyboy97o

Anaheim’s ‘living wage’ ballot measure was to affect anyone who had tax subsidies and would have had Disneyland paying employees 18 dollars an hour by this year. Here is a brief timeline.

A timeline:
  • January 31st, 2018: Josh D’Amaro named to become Disneyland Resort President in press release.
  • March 5th 2018: Josh D'Amaro becomes Disneyland Resort President.
  • May 1, 2018: The Coalition of Labor Resort Unions, composed of 11 unions, submitted signatures for the initiative petition to the city clerk of Anaheim.
  • June 13, 2018: The Orange County Registrar of Voters verified that the coalition had collected at least the minimum requirement of 13,185 valid signatures—equal to 10 percent of the city's voters.
  • June 19, 2018: The Anaheim City Council voted 4-3 to place the initiative on the November ballot, rejecting the option to adopt the initiative or to order an impact report.
  • August 21, 2018: Josh D'Amaro sends a letter on wanting to end Tax subsidies.
View attachment 648958
  • August 28, 2018: The Anaheim City Council voted to cancel deals with the Disneyland Resort that offered its parent company tax incentives for investing in its theme parks and a nearby shopping district.
  • November 6, 2018: The Initiative passes by 54.20%.
  • September 25, 2019: Josh D'Amaro named to become president of Walt Disney World Resort in press release.
  • November 2019: Josh D'Amaro becomes Walt Disney World Resort President.
  • May 18th, 2020: Josh D’Amaro named Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.
I know what it is, how is it relevant to Brightline?

Vegas Disney Fan

A stop would have been nice, but it never would've been the solution many assumed it would be between MCO and Walt Disney World.

I thought the same, it would still require a transfer to an Uber or bus at Disney Springs with all your luggage in tow, it would work but it wouldn’t be a true replacement for the convenience of Magical Express.

We love the train from CDG to DL Paris but they drop you off right next to the parks / hotels and you can walk to your hotel from the station, it works because it’s so compact.

I’d love for Magical Express to come back as a result of this announcement but that would require Disney putting service over profit so I’m not holding my breathe.

lazyboy97o

Do I need to spell it out…

I’m sure I made it pretty clear.

Those both have one thing in common, Josh D’Amaro. I stated “I WILL wager $50 that they wanted to keep it but Josh D'amaro nixed it.”
Yes, spell it out because they are two very different scenarios. Not wanting to increase operating costs doesn’t usually lead to not wanting to collect rent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom