Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

lazyboy97o

As I mentioned in my response to Andrew, perhaps Universal should pick up part of the cost increase related to its desire for rail service to its resort.
Universal has only ever offered to cover a portion of the costs. They could have simply offered to cover the cost difference for Brightline to follow the FL HSR alignment.

BTW, there is one road, leading to the Middle School, which would cross the track. A signal and crossing gates should solve the problem of children riding bikes. Again, I had railroad tracks in my backyard, and when I moved I had to cross them to get to school. Children can adapt - probably better than some adults.
It was to be fully grade separated in order to achieve the desired speeds.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Universal has only ever offered to cover a portion of the costs. They could have simply offered to cover the cost difference for Brightline to follow the FL HSR alignment.

Then officials need to put it to Comcast "If you want the extension to your property, which has added XXXX to the cost, then you'll need to pay the additional cost."

Lilofan

BTW, there is one road, leading to the Middle School, which would cross the track. A signal and crossing gates should solve the problem of children riding bikes. Again, I had railroad tracks in my backyard, and when I moved I had to cross them to get to school. Children can adapt - probably better than some adults.
That's not if but when fatal accidents crossing the high speed rail track to get to school , will happen and anything Disney ( ie high speed rail headed to the Kingdom ) will not be just local news but nationwide news.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
That's not if but when fatal accidents will happen and anything Disney ( ie high speed rail headed to the Kingdom ) will not be just local news but nationwide news.
Only because of the Disney connection. Is a child being hit by a train - usually due to engaging in unsafe behavior - any less tragic just because it didn't happen near WDW?

Another poster stated that the track will be off grade, so children should have no reason to be on/near them unless they are ignoring warnings. And again, it is tragic when a child accidentally dies.

lazyboy97o

That's not if but when fatal accidents crossing the high speed rail track to get to school , will happen and anything Disney ( ie high speed rail headed to the Kingdom ) will not be just local news but nationwide news.
And yet no big stories about the students dying because they were crossing the highway. The roads around the school are more of a threat to the safety of the students than a grade separated railroad track in an existing highway corridor that doesn’t double as a playground.

Lilofan

And yet no big stories about the students dying because they were crossing the highway. The roads around the school are more of a threat to the safety of the students than a grade separated railroad track in an existing highway corridor that doesn’t double as a playground.
Rest assured there will be a big story if a child fatality occurs on the track and it is the high speed rail going towards WDW. If one doesn't think all the kids will follow the safety rules , there is a bridge for sale.

lazyboy97o

Rest assured there will be a big story if a child fatality occurs on the track and it is the high speed rail going towards WDW. If one doesn't think all the kids will follow the safety rules , there is a bridge for sale.
Once again I ask, where do you think the train alignment exists at this moment?

Why are kids more likely to be on a grade separated highway corridor after a railroad is added?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There already are plenty of child-pedestrian deaths... mostly from cars.

Every year, an average of 67,124 child pedestrians are injured. 704 of those child pedestrians die. As it grows darker earlier, child pedestrians become harder to see. 36% of the deaths of children under 16 occurred between 3:00 and 7:00 PM.​

Compared to rail...

In 2018 alone, 66 children were killed and another 164 were nonfatally​
injured. More than 8 in 10 incidents involve a freight train, which do not travel on​
regular schedules like passenger trains, making them less predictable.​

So, how many freight trains will be on this route?

SpectroMan93

I genuinely do not understand this torches and pitchforks attitude toward improving public transportation via rail. Europe has had a vast, interconnected rail system for decades that amazingly has not been plagued by throngs of child deaths. The ENORMOUS majority of transportation accidents have occurred on roads, so if anything, introducing more rail travel and encouraging less car travel would create much more safe conditions for children to get to school.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I genuinely do not understand this torches and pitchforks attitude toward improving public transportation via rail. Europe has had a vast, interconnected rail system for decades that amazingly has not been plagued by throngs of child deaths. The ENORMOUS majority of transportation accidents have occurred on roads, so if anything, introducing more rail travel and encouraging less car travel would create much more safe conditions for children to get to school.

I can take a train from Barcelona, Spain to Paris, France in just under 7 hours. In a comfortable seat with good food and drinks. And not have to worry about liquids in a ziplock bag.

trainplane3

We can't have trains but no one complains about bulldozing hills, fields, or neighborhoods to build more roads. And then coming back 10 years later to add another lane.

It really doesn't make sense. It's just a bunch of people that are so used to cars that can't wrap their head around rail travel anymore here. No matter how much safer, cleaner, and faster it is they'll always complain.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We can't have trains but no one complains about bulldozing hills, fields, or neighborhoods to build more roads. And then coming back 10 years later to add another lane.

It really doesn't make sense. It's just a bunch of people that are so used to cars that can't wrap their head around rail travel anymore here. No matter how much safer, cleaner, and faster it is they'll always complain.

Let them routinely experience the parking lot that I-75 South regularly becomes in Marion County and see if that changes their outlook. Why would you want to spend the frustration of driving on congested roads like I-4 to travel east-west across Florida or I-95 to go from Miami to Orlando? Granted, you can fly there faster, but people never take into consideration the 2-3 hours it can take to go through TSA, boarding, fellow passengers, etc.

Andrew25

Let them routinely experience the parking lot that I-75 South regularly becomes in Marion County and see if that changes their outlook. Why would you want to spend the frustration of driving on congested roads like I-4 to travel east-west across Florida or I-95 to go from Miami to Orlando? Granted, you can fly there faster, but people never take into consideration the 2-3 hours it can take to go through TSA, boarding, fellow passengers, etc.
Yeah, I'm not one of those "everyone should use public transport" people... but traveling from Disney/Celebration to East Orlando/Downtown is an hour plus long journey that shouldn't take more than 30 minutes just because of 2 congested exits... that are mainly driven by tourism (Sand Lake/Vineland)

trainplane3

Yeah, I'm not one of those "everyone should use public transport" people... but traveling from Disney/Celebration to East Orlando/Downtown is an hour plus long journey that shouldn't take more than 30 minutes just because of 2 congested exits... that are mainly driven by tourism (Sand Lake/Vineland)
Exactly. It's good to give people options. I'd never say "you need to use public transit" but to have reliable public transit as an option is always a good thing.

Lilofan

Exactly. It's good to give people options. I'd never say "you need to use public transit" but to have reliable public transit as an option is always a good thing.
Not surprising no one has fully supported if high speed rail up being built right up ones back yard border. The silence is revealing. Not exactly the same but the same who support affordable housing but crickets if built right next to their homes.

JMcMahonEsq

There are at grade rail crossing all over the united states. Why do you think there is a high likelihood that children are going to be run over by these particular trains?

Although to be fair, while the likelihood of a kid running onto these hypothetical tracks is no higher than the risks that occur in every city in the US that has at grade light rail traffic and has so for the past couple hundred years, fair or unfair in the hypothetic even that it does happen here, the story isn't going to be tragic accident occurred, or parents should have been watching their kids. The headline and click bate online is going to be Disney Train kills child.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom