Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

lazyboy97o

There are at grade rail crossing all over the united states. Why do you think there is a high likelihood that children are going to be run over by these particular trains?

Although to be fair, while the likelihood of a kid running onto these hypothetical tracks is no higher than the risks that occur in every city in the US that has at grade light rail traffic and has so for the past couple hundred years, fair or unfair in the hypothetic even that it does happen here, the story isn't going to be tragic accident occurred, or parents should have been watching their kids. The headline and click bate online is going to be Disney Train kills child.
No at-grade crossings were planned.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There are at grade rail crossing all over the united states. Why do you think there is a high likelihood that children are going to be run over by these particular trains?

Although to be fair, while the likelihood of a kid running onto these hypothetical tracks is no higher than the risks that occur in every city in the US that has at grade light rail traffic and has so for the past couple hundred years, fair or unfair in the hypothetic even that it does happen here, the story isn't going to be tragic accident occurred, or parents should have been watching their kids. The headline and click bate online is going to be Disney Train kills child.
We need to do something about all those cars that intersect pedestrian walkways at grade!!!

homerdance

Not surprising no one has fully supported if high speed rail up being built right up ones back yard border. The silence is revealing. Not exactly the same but the same who support affordable housing but crickets if built right next to their homes.
I would prefer a HSR/light rail vs a congested interstate.

But it’s not being built in thier backyard. It’s in the public right of way.

What has a train ever done to you that caused you to hate them so much?

trainplane3

I would prefer a HSR/light rail vs a congested interstate.

But it’s not being built in thier backyard. It’s in the public right of way.

What has a train ever done to you that caused you to hate them so much?
6df.gif

Rich Brownn

Brightline wants that Tampa expansion badly Our governor killed the original TPA/MCO HSR before any studies came in. After the fact it was shown that it would have been one of the few public transit to actually make a profit. BL knows the money is there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twirlnhurl

Brightline knows there is money to be made connecting MCO to Tampa, but the cost of borrowing the money to build it is dramatically higher now than it was when Brightline originally began planning it. Once you factor in the cost of construction and debt, even something with really high ridership may not be worth building. Being able to build this stuff for a reasonable amount of money is crucial if you want it to actually happen.

Unfortunately for everyone except a few dozen people in Hunters Creek, it looks like the cheaper option is off the table. So now we are at the mercy of the federal government, the state of Florida, Florida's Turnpike Enterprise, FDOT District 5, Universal, the voters of Orange County, the counties of Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and Volusia to come to an agreement. I'm not saying it will never happen, but it's odds are low.

Andrew25

Brightline knows there is money to be made connecting MCO to Tampa, but the cost of borrowing the money to build it is dramatically higher now than it was when Brightline originally began planning it. Once you factor in the cost of construction and debt, even something with really high ridership may not be worth building. Being able to build this stuff for a reasonable amount of money is crucial if you want it to actually happen.

Unfortunately for everyone except a few dozen people in Hunters Creek, it looks like the cheaper option is off the table. So now we are at the mercy of the federal government, the state of Florida, Florida's Turnpike Enterprise, FDOT District 5, Universal, the voters of Orange County, the counties of Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and Volusia to come to an agreement. I'm not saying it will never happen, but it's odds are low.
*and Disney

Even if Universal didn't propose their alignment, there will still be Orange Country voters to approve a station offsite WDW (along with rail lines) and the Turnpike would still be involved with the train having to go over their road either way they choose.

I want this thing built too, but a good amount of congestion in Orlando is in that Orange County Convention Center area where a train will help tremendously.

Andrew25

It should be 2 different things though - that’s the problem.

Let Brightline build the proposed route to Tampa and then if you can get funding for sun rail to the convention center great!
Sure, I agree, in a perfect world we can get both, but unfortunately there's only so much funding available and I doubt we get both.

Edit to add: Either way they choose, still expect for it to not be worked on for a few years as I-4 just started construction on widening that could then make way for any train service.

lazyboy97o

Sure, I agree, in a perfect world we can get both, but unfortunately there's only so much funding available and I doubt we get both.

Edit to add: Either way they choose, still expect for it to not be worked on for a few years as I-4 just started construction on widening that could then make way for any train service.
Brightline had their funding plan in place.

I-4 already has a rail corridor. FDOT never really let go of their silly dream of building a bullet train.

JMcMahonEsq

Not having a lot of experience on the gulf/west coast of Florida, what is the major benefit/need for a rail connection from Tampa to Orlando?

Asking out of ignorance/curiosity as it would seem like all it would be supporting is inter/Florida traffic and you already have I-4, including millions/billions spent on widening that. It wouldn't seem like it would help much with dispersing vacationer traffic, unless there is a big population of people using cars for split stays in Orlando and Tampa, and it seems pretty far such that you have a large population commuting to work between the two cities/areas . Plus the drive itself is what, around 100miles, give or take? I have always thought you get major saving on rail travel either internally in cities, or across longer distances where the speed of the rail help outpace car travel. Here it seems like your almost caught in between.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom