High Gas prices affecting WDW attendance?

Red devil

Original Poster
With gas prices the way they are (and only getting worse) I was wondering if anyone has noticed a decline in park attendance. I know that with the dollar where it is Europeans are more likely to visit but I was just wondering if we are going to see park attendance decline due to the greatly increased cost to those that would normally drive to WDW?

fosse76

With gas prices the way they are (and only getting worse) I was wondering if anyone has noticed a decline in park attendance. I know that with the dollar where it is Europeans are more likely to visit but I was just wondering if we are going to see park attendance decline due to the greatly increased cost to those that would normally drive to WDW?

I don't think it is currently having a significant impact (though I thought I read a post by a CM that they are noticing lighter crowds...though to a regular guest it might not be noticeable). Keep in mind most people plan for Disney and save specifically for that purpose, so it generally isn't going to affect their plans. However, I think come fall and winter there might be a noticeable drop in attendance.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Resort bookings are off compared to this time last year so an attendance downturn seems almost inevitable in the near future.

Yankeeplex

I had the same problem getting ADR for the first 2 weeks in December...we had to alter just about every day to coincide with the reservations that we were able to get. They did mention, however, that they were told to expect quite a bit of cancellations and that we should keep calling. People may be canceling closer to their trips if they can't afford it. Just wondering out loud.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
sorry should have been clearer DVC, and they said nothing available for any configuration in that week.
Yeah DVC will be a little different. You are dealing with a clientèle that has already pre-purchased their vacations lodging for decades in advance and were making room reservations for that week back in February. The regular resorts are pretty much wide open for that week. That in itself is not that unusual however having rooms available at all resort levels for the 4th of July weekend a week prior and at moderate and above the week of was quite unusual.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yeah DVC will be a little different. You are dealing with a clientèle that has already pre-purchased their vacations lodging for decades in advance and were making room reservations for that week back in February. The regular resorts are pretty much wide open for that week. That in itself is not that unusual however having rooms available at all resort levels for the 4th of July weekend a week prior and at moderate and above the week of was quite unusual.

Ive put in for the waiting list, but Im not expecting any movement. But Its funny because the last three Augusts & this May weve got what we wanted. Still its hardly slumming it at SS.:D

Disney_Belle

I can see where it would affect the attendance rate. Its affecting everything else, but I don't think it is a harsh difference. My cousin was a CM through the College Program from Jan - May of this year and she couldn't believe how busy it got at times. But I think everything sadly is being affected. I went grocery shopping yesterday and couldn't believe what I paid for what I had. I am going to WDW in January and was stunned at Southwest Airlines' rates. I remember 2 years ago being able to fly from Providence to Orlando for about $115 roundtrip. Now for my husband and I it will be over $800 for us to fly, but I won't let it stop us. If it wasn't such an important family trip, I would probably hold off on it, but its a trip we have been planning for 2 years so I have been saving.

I heard on the news this morning that one of the airlines (I believe USAir or United, feel free to correct me if I am wrong) are removing the televisions from their planes. They were saying by removing the TV's and their wiring, will save weight on the planes and save them $10 million per year on fuel.

BRER DAD

I can see where it would affect the attendance rate. Its affecting everything else, but I don't think it is a harsh difference. My cousin was a CM through the College Program from Jan - May of this year and she couldn't believe how busy it got at times. But I think everything sadly is being affected. I went grocery shopping yesterday and couldn't believe what I paid for what I had. I am going to WDW in January and was stunned at Southwest Airlines' rates. I remember 2 years ago being able to fly from Providence to Orlando for about $115 roundtrip. Now for my husband and I it will be over $800 for us to fly, but I won't let it stop us. If it wasn't such an important family trip, I would probably hold off on it, but its a trip we have been planning for 2 years so I have been saving.

I heard on the news this morning that one of the airlines (I believe USAir or United, feel free to correct me if I am wrong) are removing the televisions from their planes. They were saying by removing the TV's and their wiring, will save weight on the planes and save them $10 million per year on fuel.

I too couldnt belive what it cost to fly this year!!! Were going to drive down this year and even with gas the way it is, it will still be a lot cheaper.

Someone speaking for Disney on CNBC near the day of the release of Wall-E said domestic attendance was off heading into the peak summer months at the theme parks, but it was being off set with guests still coming from Europe and the UK. He didnt talk about the upcoming Holiday season though, he said it was too far off for any determination yet.

coachz

doom-and-gloomers

do the math...example..1200 miles from Chicago to WDW, 2400 miles round-trip...even with poor mileage(15 per gallon)..is 160 gallons...even if gas were $2/gallon less, that would save $320...probably not out-of-butget range to cancel vacation!!!!

scottnj1966

Lets see you still cant get rooms, and forget about ever going to a nice restaunrant anywhere at Disney because everything is booked.

Its packed.

Will know better in the off season. If it turns back into an off season then yes it has effected things.

Right now, nope. Packed as usual.

goofntink

Disney does not publish the amount of attendance at the parks.But I can say that from people I have talked to on property,attendance was way down this past 4th of July holiday.Yes,the MK did close due to capacity,but is was later in the day than in the years past.And in my opinion the downgrading to moderate pricing for the WR cabins is an indication of the slow economy.My only hope is they do this to some of the other Deluxe resorts temporarily,to allow some WDWMAGIC members to cash in on staying at one.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom