High Gas prices affecting WDW attendance?

jmicro59

I hear attendance is going to be very, very low in July. Especially during the 17th thru the 26th time frame.
You hear me? VERY, VERY low attendance. :lookaroun

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Disney does not publish the amount of attendance at the parks.But I can say that from people I have talked to on property,attendance was way down this past 4th of July holiday.Yes,the MK did close due to capacity,but is was later in the day than in the years past.And in my opinion the downgrading to moderate pricing for the WR cabins is an indication of the slow economy.My only hope is they do this to some of the other Deluxe resorts temporarily,to allow some WDWMAGIC members to cash in on staying at one.:D

Or it could indicate that historic cabin users have opted to join the DVC. It could indicate that more people have decided to stay at Universal resort.
It could indicate that people dont want to pay the price to live in a glorified trailer?

Nemo14

Since most people pay for their trips ahead of time, I would think that the impact would be minimal now, but for those just planning trips for the future, there will probably be a significant drop in attendance. JMO

RedBaron

I would think that at some point fuel cost will affect attendance. I was planning to book a trip for this December. While I thought the rates for the resort, dining and park tickets were reasonable, the price of the airfare made the trip more than double in price so I had to forget it. While driving would be the more economical option, my kids are too small to sit in the car for 2 days. So once again our trip will have to wait. :(

Javier Boughton

let drill down to it

asume a 5 people family, 2 adults, 3 kids, 3 nights to get there, 10 in orlando 3 nights back, traveling in a minivan.

tickets=$500 for universal (yes people, admit it, everyone wants the hulk, spidey and mummy fix)
tickets=$1,000 (no park hoppers, no need)
hotel nights in orlando (10 nights) $1600
hotel nights traveling (3 each way, 6 total)=$700
meals (assuming 70 traveling, 120 in orlando, 16 days)=$1600
unnecessary souvenirs =$1,000
gas (traveling in a mini van 4 tanks each way)=$800

total, $7200

so gas is just 11% of the total budget...

cut down on meals, souvenirs, less nights, etc... just by taking out one day you can cut your expenses around $300..more than enough to compaensate .

so people, really stop complaining..if the gas budget is really jeopardizing your trip, you should beging to consider at all going...$100, 200 or 300 more should not be the decision of going or not..

my 2 cents

Ausdaddy

let drill down to it

asume a 5 people family, 2 adults, 3 kids, 3 nights to get there, 10 in orlando 3 nights back, traveling in a minivan.

tickets=$500 for universal (yes people, admit it, everyone wants the hulk, spidey and mummy fix)

total, $7200

cut down on meals, souvenirs, less nights, etc... just by taking out one day you can cut your expenses around $300..more than enough to compaensate .

so people, really stop complaining..if the gas budget is really jeopardizing your trip, you should beging to consider at all going...$100, 200 or 300 more should not be the decision of going or not..

my 2 cents

It's only 11% because of your assumptions. Most people don't drive 4 days to get there. You're also assuming more than $100/night for those on-the-road hotels. And, if you're driving 4 days, how do you figure you'll only need 1 tank each day? That's only driving 5 hours a day or so. The ratio is much higher if you use real numbers. Not to mention that the effect of high gas prices is that people have to pay much more for their everyday driving and have less money to spend on vacations. Not sure why everyone only looks at the trip itself.

jmicro59

let drill down to it

total, $7200

my 2 cents

With your assumptions your 2 cents would be $400 dollars...
Thats my one loonie. :)

gettingsmaller

A couple of comments:
1) I think WDW trips are planned far enough in advance that an immediate drop might not be seen. As someone else pointed out, it's likely the vacations being planned NOW for 6-12 months later that are in jeopardy.

2) Higher gas doesn't just affect the WDW trip. Yes, it can increase the overall trip cost, but the bigger factor is less available cash in the overall budget. Less available cash means less to spend on vacations--which means that people take shorter vacations, spend less on them, etc..

Jesùs_Carioca

From what I've seen, and the numbers that they give us every morning for The Animal Kingdom's attendance estimate, no real significant drop in guests has been seen yet.

"Recession" might be a dirty word and all, but in reality from what i've seen, we're seeing something right now that in comparison to our history as a country is not as bad as we think. Don't start panicking just yet over it.

Elonwy

I don't think the cost of the gas on the actual trip is the problem for anyone not going to Disney. If someone commutes a fair distance to work gas prices could actually add a few thousand dollars a year onto their expenditures and the money could come out of things like your trip budget.

TinkerCarol

While at Disney World last week I was told by two cast members that attendance is down 60% this year. I was really surprised. I guess the gas price, and air fare, really have taken its toll on Disney too.

yankspy

While at Disney World last week I was told by two cast members that attendance is down 60% this year. I was really surprised. I guess the gas price, and air fare, really have taken its toll on Disney too.
I was unaware that the boats had two captains now.:lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yes, my eldest was there and she said there was next to no one in the hotel and that every resort they dined at were deserted. The parks she felt were much less crowded than last year, she was able to do all four parks in 6 hours, 3 hours less time than last year.

lighteningqueen

Reading all your post, and post from the past. Not all is well with those who are paying it out. Since the gas crunch some are finding it hard to pay on their reservations due to having to use it on gas. I for one travel with my business and it is killing me. It takes us $300.00 per month to get and come from where we sell once a month. Plus all my fees to sell which are $450.00, food $250.00. Then all my supplies to build and paint our furniture. Which is about 800.00 per month. So I am spending almost $2000.00 before I even get there.I am selling less and less every month due to gas issues with our customers. So therefore making less. But my good months are coming for the fall. Since it is children related. But others are canceling their trips to the world because of this issue. And food oh my gosh it has gone up so much. I can't see where a family with kids can eat like they used to. And forget about it being healthy foods. They are out of reach for a typical family. So yes, gas is hurting everything. But doesn't it seem funny when business are hurting they go UP on their prices to make up the slow sales. I would figure they would go down to get the competition. We are driving down and hope that by Oct 22 when my bill comes due to Disney that we can pay for it. Alot can happen gas wise between now and then. I will not put it on credit. It would just have to wait. Then there is the dining tip that is no longer included on the plan. They will now have to come up with that. As far as trinkets from the parks.. I would put those on the back burner... $1000.00 are you kidding me. No one needs stuff that bad.. Meals (70) You must mean someone who eats 3 squares a day. Most do not do this. Oh well, we shall see how busy it is in Dec when we go. It wasn't bad last year. First 2 weeks.

fillerup

Just an observation.

Because we've had several sets of friends and family stay at Boardwalk this summer and because we do the lake loop there for exercise, we're probably averaging three trips a week to BW.

This summer, I haven't seen the main parking lot full. I haven't seen valet more than 1/3 full. I haven't seen the "No Parking for Epcot" sign even once. I haven't been directed across the street to remote parking. I've only been directed to self parking to the left of the gate a couple of times.

I always see empty tables at Flying FIsh. Last night at 8pm, the restaurant was no more than 1/3 occupied. And only occasional lines at ESPN.

This is a big change from even 2 months ago.

Can't speak to the parks or other resorts, but this is my take on BW.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just an observation.

Because we've had several sets of friends and family stay at Boardwalk this summer and because we do the lake loop there for exercise, we're probably averaging three trips a week to BW.

This summer, I haven't seen the main parking lot full. I haven't seen valet more than 1/3 full. I haven't seen the "No Parking for Epcot" sign even once. I haven't been directed across the street to remote parking. I've only been directed to self parking to the left of the gate a couple of times.

I always see empty tables at Flying FIsh. Last night at 8pm, the restaurant was no more than 1/3 occupied. And only occasional lines at ESPN.

This is a big change from even 2 months ago.

Can't speak to the parks or other resorts, but this is my take on BW.
You observations are in line with my own observations from this weekend. On Sunday Fast passes for Soarin were available almost all day and I never saw the wait hit over 90 minutes. The crowd at Epcot was arguably smaller then it was in the first week of December of 2007.

Mr. Tickle

The gas prices have affected my family. We have had annual passes for the past 3 years and use to go at least once a month. We're only driving from Tampa, but with all the other price increases (i.e. food, utilities) our entertainment money is all but gone. We still try to go every other month since tickets are aready paid for, but won't be renewing our passes this year because of all the combined price increases. The crowds have been down lately from the past couple years attendance. I think there are less local day trippers.

EpcotServo

Well all I know is that high prices (of EVERYTHING) are keeping us from going to Disneyland, so I'm sure this is happening to lots of other people.
:shrug:

Chernabogfan

Just my situation:

Family of 5, 2 adults, 3 kids, 2004 Honda Odyssey. We bring whatever we can with us, snacks, drinks, the whole 9 yards. Anything we can to save a buck. 2 day drive from Grand Rapids MI to Orlando, aprox 2400 miles round trip(Flying is too cost prohibitive with that many people. Especially since we stay offsite due to RCI connections, flying would mean a rental car. Better to drive). In January, when gas was 3.00 a gallon, we spent $400 round trip. For this January, we add $100 each way for a grand total of $600. Still less than plane tickets for five and a rental car for 10 days, no matter what discount carrier we get, especially these days. The extra $200 bucks isn't going to break us or force us to cancel the trip. The only thing it means is maybe we eat-in one or two nights rather than out. Whaddya gonna do?:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just my situation:

Family of 5, 2 adults, 3 kids, 2004 Honda Odyssey. We bring whatever we can with us, snacks, drinks, the whole 9 yards. Anything we can to save a buck. 2 day drive from Grand Rapids MI to Orlando, aprox 2400 miles round trip(Flying is too cost prohibitive with that many people. Especially since we stay offsite due to RCI connections, flying would mean a rental car. Better to drive). In January, when gas was 3.00 a gallon, we spent $400 round trip. For this January, we add $100 each way for a grand total of $600. Still less than plane tickets for five and a rental car for 10 days, no matter what discount carrier we get, especially these days. The extra $200 bucks isn't going to break us or force us to cancel the trip. The only thing it means is maybe we eat-in one or two nights rather than out. Whaddya gonna do?:shrug:
The thing is the extra $200 for a single trip is not the problem. It is the extra $200+ that we are having to pay every month to get to and from work, increased food costs, etc that are the problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom