Hiding out in the parks

Plane Crazy

Original Poster
This is a pretty random topic, but it's something that I've always wondered about. Has anyone ever heard of someone hiding out in the theme parks and staying over night?

With the number of people that visit Disney's theme parks, and the number of nooks and hidden areas, I have always wondered if anyone has ever tried to "camp out" overnight in any of the parks. I would think that you would have to be pretty desperate to use this technique to squeeze another day out of your theme park ticket... but it seems plausible that someone would try it, just to see if it could be done.

I know that Disney has a security and plenty of cameras. They probably also employ motion sensors and other security technologies (do they?). But, there are just so many places one could hide out.

On a recent trip to EPCOT, I walked around for about an hour after the park closed. And for long stretches of time... I saw nobody. No patrons, no cast members, and no security guards.

Similarly, I would think that it would be fairly easy to hide out on Disney property, in general (not in the parks). There is just so much land that I would think that it would be very difficult to prevent someone from trespassing. Has anyone ever heard of someone trying to camp out overnight on Disney property? Or, for that matter, just hiking around off the beaten path?

Again, I don't know why anyone would do this. I certainly have no intention of trying. But, as I mentioned, I am just curious to know if anyone has ever tried this (if they had, I am sure the cast member would have stories).

Laura

Premium Member
I've read this topic before...I'm trying to think of which forum I saw it in, but you might be able to find it if you do a search. It was interesting.

mkepcotmgmak

Plane Crazy said:
This is a pretty random topic, but it's something that I've always wondered about. Has anyone ever heard of someone hiding out in the theme parks and staying over night?

With the number of people that visit Disney's theme parks, and the number of nooks and hidden areas, I have always wondered if anyone has ever tried to "camp out" overnight in any of the parks. I would think that you would have to be pretty desperate to use this technique to squeeze another day out of your theme park ticket... but it seems plausible that someone would try it, just to see if it could be done.

I know that Disney has a security and plenty of cameras. They probably also employ motion sensors and other security technologies (do they?). But, there are just so many places one could hide out.

On a recent trip to EPCOT, I walked around for about an hour after the park closed. And for long stretches of time... I saw nobody. No patrons, no cast members, and no security guards.

Similarly, I would think that it would be fairly easy to hide out on Disney property, in general (not in the parks). There is just so much land that I would think that it would be very difficult to prevent someone from trespassing. Has anyone ever heard of someone trying to camp out overnight on Disney property? Or, for that matter, just hiking around off the beaten path?

Again, I don't know why anyone would do this. I certainly have no intention of trying. But, as I mentioned, I am just curious to know if anyone has ever tried this (if they had, I am sure the cast member would have stories).

one night i was on MK's closing team, and a teenage guy was in the restroom area by pirates, and another cm and i know his plans were to stay in the park... he was alone, and he wasn't using the facilites in anyway, but rather just standing in a stall, and when we came in to clear out the adventureland side of the park, he got a little nervous, and said he was using the restroom...
yeah right.

anyway, yes, it does happen, or at least, it is attempted, but it is pointless. there would be no reason to stay in the park overnight. the park is full of cms making the park magical for the next day. most attractions have cms inside of them, tidying up of the next day as well, so it's not like you could go into the HM and take pics, or anything like that, without someone PROBABLY seeing you...
anyway, i don't suggest it to anyone, although i don't know what type of punishment you would get...

Dr. Seeker

The only story I heard about that was at Disneyland in CA...I heard that two kids stayed overnight on Tom Sawyer Island and one of them drowned when they tried to get out that night.
Supposed to be one of 10 deaths at Disneyland. (Only 2 were actually Disney's fault)

Gregory

I believe the two were the recent Big Thunder Mountain accident, and a story that involved a ship (why does Columbia come to mind?) and something docking it snapping and flying off and striking someone...

Gregory

Hmm.. that has 9 deaths.. plus the BTMRR one.. that makes 10...

And, I know I've heard a story about a guy comitting suicide in Epcot using a gun (I can't confirm that..), and at least two other CMs involving rides (one on Skyway, another in CoP)

(Edit Dave's right.. I'm mixing up parks.. I didn't realise that Snopes was only talking about DL)

Mountain 3

I thought I once heard of a guest standing on Splash Mountain at the top of the main drop. Fell off the log and was then hit by the next log at the bottom of the hill.

Anyone else hear of that story?

MGMBoy

Holy thread drift Batman!

Back to crashing at the park. David Koenig talks in Mouse Tales about a kid who lived on Tom Sawyer Island and stole snack from the food locations on the island. They eventually found him staying near the burning cabin set then, during the day, he'd just mingle with the other guests.

se8472

MGMBoy said:
Holy thread drift Batman!

Back to crashing at the park. David Koenig talks in Mouse Tales about a kid who lived on Tom Sawyer Island and stole snack from the food locations on the island. They eventually found him staying near the burning cabin set then, during the day, he'd just mingle with the other guests.

Yeah that was a big drift but I also have heard of guest staying int he parks over night. Belive me when I say there isn't anything to do and heck it can even be scary. I remember a few late night shifts that I would get off and the place is almost ghostly. Think of it as walking around a city at night, granted there are still people walking around but for the most part all the noise and everything that is so normal is gone.

ISTCrew20

marni1971 said:
CoP was Disneyland too.
The latest I had ever stayed was 1 hour and 45 minutes after the MK closed. Not to try and stay in the park or anything, but to get some good pictures of the castle and Main Street empty. Surprise, there were still guests out lol.

MGMBoy

Studios was always creepy (except Muppet Courtyard because they kept the BGM running). Walking past Ewok Village after all-clear always scared the hell out of me. NO music, just the noises. Ah...I miss riding the bikes in Muppet Courtyard after all-clear.

*Remembers crashing head first into the Muppet fountain on one of the broken backstage bikes (Broken BEFORE I crashed it... :lookaroun ...really... :lookaroun ...don't you believe me?)*

aklodge

MGMBoy said:
*Remembers crashing head first into the Muppet fountain on one of the broken backstage bikes (Broken BEFORE I crashed it... :lookaroun ...really... :lookaroun ...don't you believe me?)*

Oh, thats what they all say, "It was broken before I got it"...:rolleyes: LOL Just Kidding!:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom