Hidden mickey plates in HM gone

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
The hidden mickey made out of plates in the ballroom dancing scene of HM is gone. I know cast members move them around from time to time but this one has been there for years and it just seems cruel to take it away. My 5 year old nephew always looks forward to pointing it out and I was at a loss of words to explain why it was gone. Try telling a 5 year old why disney has changed something, ...its not easy. Thanks to Comander Crimson tho for telling me about the staring nun of backlot express at Hollywood Studios. That made our day!

AswaySuller

Seriously?

It's plates.... Get over it!

It''s gonna be a lot harder telling him why the dog or grandma aren't around any more.... Consider this easing him in!

beyondyou

^That was a very rude way of saying that.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about though. It does suck that the plates were not in position, but as you stated cast members do move them around. Something may have happened to the plates since people are moving in and out of there before park open and after park close.
Tell the little one that mickey was doing the dishes that day :p

Axle1986

"The ghosts must have moved them!"
that would be the obvious way to explain to a kid... that's a CM way of explaining it...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They do move. Officially, they should not form a hidden Mickey but overnight playfull spooks tend to put them back.

HM Spectre

Yeah I noticed that too. The hidden Mickey was there on Wednesday but it was gone yesterday. Hopefully someone notices and "fixes" the table setting. :)

RalphinSC

From what I understand, this is not a permenant set-up by any means and gets moved back and forth constantly dependign on the CM's and the managers on the ride. OP, you were just unfortunate enough on your last ride through to go at a time that some had deemed to "correct" the misplaced plates. I bet in a future ride-through you'll find them in the HM configuration again. It seems to be a never-ending act of tasteful arrangement versus management expectation :goodnevil

SMS55

From what I understand, this is not a permenant set-up by any means and gets moved back and forth constantly dependign on the CM's and the managers on the ride. OP, you were just unfortunate enough on your last ride through to go at a time that some had deemed to "correct" the misplaced plates. I bet in a future ride-through you'll find them in the HM configuration again. It seems to be a never-ending act of tasteful arrangement versus management expectation :goodnevil

Yeah but this hidden Mickey has been there for atleast 12 years. I noticed it when an ex-girlfriend of mine who was a cast member pointed it out to me. Perhaps they are just swapping plates, cleaning them or something. Don't see why they would just remove it, unless it became too obvious and they took it out to keep the Mickey "hidden." The one on the web was removed a while back right?

Princess7

I hope the ghosts put it back by the time we are there at the end of the month. That hidden mickey and the one at Nemo and friends (in the tank) are the ones the kids always look forward to pointing out.

rbrower

Yeah but this hidden Mickey has been there for atleast 12 years. I noticed it when an ex-girlfriend of mine who was a cast member pointed it out to me. Perhaps they are just swapping plates, cleaning them or something. Don't see why they would just remove it, unless it became too obvious and they took it out to keep the Mickey "hidden." The one on the web was removed a while back right?

From what I've heard, the plates were never supposed to form a hidden Mickey, but we're rearranged that way by a few cast members. I think it has become somewhat of a tradition for the cast members of the ride to switch them to the hidden Mickey style after management takes it out. I sure I'm missing plenty of details, just trying to give a vague overview.
My real question is this: Why is management so against this additional hidden Mickey? Is there any specific reason why they don't want it there?

JIMINYCR

Maybe they are thinking that because it's become so well known that it's no longer so much a "hidden Mickey" anymore, so removing it for a while and returning it later makes guests have some suspense looking for it again. Just my own theory.:shrug:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Seriously?

It's plates.... Get over it!

It''s gonna be a lot harder telling him why the dog or grandma aren't around any more.... Consider this easing him in!

It was just a special one to us for certain reasons. Luckily, he has no dog and grandma is still kicking. I'll message you for more life advice when we do have a tragedy occur that rocks our worlds in the same fashion as this. Thanks for your soothing words in our time of need.

On a different note, a cast memeber told us the hidden mickeys started years ago when Eisner said that mickey and minnies image should be limited in other parks and seen mostly in MK. A few imagineers didn't agree with that idea so they began to hide mickeys image in various ways as a jab at him. As we all know, cast memebrs aren't always accurate with their info. So I'm not saying this is fact. Just something I was told.

bkgrim

Tell your child that one of the people who helped to make the ride came back to ride again and moved the plates. They will be back.

Polydweller

From what I've heard, the plates were never supposed to form a hidden Mickey, but we're rearranged that way by a few cast members. I think it has become somewhat of a tradition for the cast members of the ride to switch them to the hidden Mickey style after management takes it out. I sure I'm missing plenty of details, just trying to give a vague overview.
My real question is this: Why is management so against this additional hidden Mickey? Is there any specific reason why they don't want it there?

Management is against it because it isn't an official hidden Mickey. True hidden Mickey's are part of the imagineering design. These plates were never designed to be that. Now the plates on the door of the promenade shop in Morocco were designed to be there.

DaGoof00

It's not an official hidden mickey. When imagineering goes into HM they will reset the table back to how the plates are supposed to be. The official hidden mickey in the HM is the one on the hand of the Grim Reaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom