HHN 21 is here...

daikonjam

It's seriously freaky, especially if you're a wimp like me. I went for my birthday last year, and MAN, I got chased, I screamed, I cried. It was baaad. I want to go back, because the shows are good and the theaming is incredible, but it's SO DAMN SCARY!

My first and only visit was in 2009 I am there this year again for the opening weekend, originally I did not think I would go this year, but after seeing the updates I am seriously considering it!

Screamscape states it may have a Las Vegas theme :)

WhatJaneSays

I'm utterly stoked already!

Halloween is like my holiday and I've done HHN for years now and last year was the first time I all my nieces were "old enough" to go. We had such a blast! My one wrist was bruised for days, the youngest held on so tightly.

Bill and Ted left much to be desired though. :/ Hope it's better this year for it's 20th anniversary.

Come on zombie showgirls! ... or perhaps showghouls?

Tears0Fire3000

I have to be honest, I don't get all the excitement for this, it was the most disappointing part of my trip last year and the idea of it being scary is laughable. I've gone to at least 4 different haunted houses each year for the last 6 years in Pennsylvania and I've seen all levels from local fire houses to ones that are featured on TV shows like America’s scariest attractions. Frankly short of some local "junk" holes, Universal was the weakest I've ever seen. You're never scared in the houses because you see the scares 5 people ahead of you, and that’s if they even bother trying half the time we walked through house with only a couple of people even interacting with us. The idea of the houses being themed is great but the themes were not caring through at all in many of the houses. They never seemed to use the bait and switch method where your attention is on one thing but the scare is beside or behind you. The animatronics level is no where it should be considering the amount they charge for this event. Anyone who’s been to Bate’s Motel can tell what they should be.
I liked the scare zones, but some of the people they had working them were god awful, one girl tried to scare us by following behind us, after rolling my eyes at my friend I felt bad for the girl and gave her a little jump so that she wouldn’t feel bad that her efforts were wasted, well she preceded to yell to the other works about how she scared us and sound like an excited kind kindergartener, yes very scary. :brick:
Truthfully neither me nor my friend had a single moment that made us jump. They were very disorganized, we spent much of the night on one line that claimed a 40 min wait, but turned out to be 2 hrs. I’ve never wait that long for anything let alone for a 3 min. walk through a house where, yes this is the honest truth one single person tried to scare us.
I liked getting to ride Jaws at night in the dark and the fire effects were going full, so that was cool. The Bill and Ted show was really good and I do wish they would do it other times because I don’t think I’d be likely to waste money on this event again. :shrug:

daikonjam

You must have gone on a really crappy night, because when I went, EVERY actor was trying to scare us and ALL of the effects were superb. Yes, the long lines and people in front of you do ruin the effectiveness sometimes, but I myself being a scaredy cat, liked knowing when i was going to be scared.

Slipknot

How did it go? I'm auditioning on the 12th, and really nervous

Went better than usual. The appointment system is a lot better than just waiting for hours for them to let you in. Don't be nervous. Just be yourself. You don't even have to dress nicely (normal street clothes will do). All they are really looking for is body type, height and availability (key word: availability).

BTW, I'd recommend going for Active Backup as you only have to show up/sign in 5 official nights (it is up to you if you want to work more nights than that) to keep your status for the next year (reunion audition, auditioning for other holiday events like Macy's Christmas and Mardi Gras), get a feel for being a part of both houses and streets and you can play in the park if you don't get cast certain nights.

Good luck.

Slipknot

I have to be honest, I don't get all the excitement for this, it was the most disappointing part of my trip last year and the idea of it being scary is laughable. I've gone to at least 4 different haunted houses each year for the last 6 years in Pennsylvania and I've seen all levels from local fire houses to ones that are featured on TV shows like America’s scariest attractions. Frankly short of some local "junk" holes, Universal was the weakest I've ever seen. You're never scared in the houses because you see the scares 5 people ahead of you, and that’s if they even bother trying half the time we walked through house with only a couple of people even interacting with us. The idea of the houses being themed is great but the themes were not caring through at all in many of the houses. They never seemed to use the bait and switch method where your attention is on one thing but the scare is beside or behind you. The animatronics level is no where it should be considering the amount they charge for this event. Anyone who’s been to Bate’s Motel can tell what they should be.
I liked the scare zones, but some of the people they had working them were god awful, one girl tried to scare us by following behind us, after rolling my eyes at my friend I felt bad for the girl and gave her a little jump so that she wouldn’t feel bad that her efforts were wasted, well she preceded to yell to the other works about how she scared us and sound like an excited kind kindergartener, yes very scary. :brick:
Truthfully neither me nor my friend had a single moment that made us jump. They were very disorganized, we spent much of the night on one line that claimed a 40 min wait, but turned out to be 2 hrs. I’ve never wait that long for anything let alone for a 3 min. walk through a house where, yes this is the honest truth one single person tried to scare us.
I liked getting to ride Jaws at night in the dark and the fire effects were going full, so that was cool. The Bill and Ted show was really good and I do wish they would do it other times because I don’t think I’d be likely to waste money on this event again. :shrug:

First off, as a scareactor, I can honestly say your attitude is a big reason not to go after you. You are not worth the energy. Secondly, any scareactor that breaks character on stage is stupid, thus it was probably a newbie or you are making it up (I'm leaning towards the latter...).

The more guests like you that don't come to HHN, the better it will be. To be honest, nobody working the event will miss you or your money. :wave:

joanna71985

Went better than usual. The appointment system is a lot better than just waiting for hours for them to let you in. Don't be nervous. Just be yourself. You don't even have to dress nicely (normal street clothes will do). All they are really looking for is body type, height and availability (key word: availability).

BTW, I'd recommend going for Active Backup as you only have to show up/sign in 5 official nights (it is up to you if you want to work more nights than that) to keep your status for the next year (reunion audition, auditioning for other holiday events like Macy's Christmas and Mardi Gras), get a feel for being a part of both houses and streets and you can play in the park if you don't get cast certain nights.

Good luck.

Thank you! I have my fingers crossed for ABU (but I have a feeling a lot of the returning members will be wanting it). Luckily, I think I should be fine for most of the evenings (at least).

Slipknot

Thank you! I have my fingers crossed for ABU (but I have a feeling a lot of the returning members will be wanting it). Luckily, I think I should be fine for most of the evenings (at least).

Not all the returning scareactors want ABU. Some only want to be in a house or street and some are only chainsaws so ABU should be open as they need a lot of them because many roles can be open any night.

joanna71985

Not all the returning scareactors want ABU. Some only want to be in a house or street and some are only chainsaws so ABU should be open as they need a lot of them because many roles can be open any night.

Ooo, well in that case....yeah, I'll definitely be putting ABU as my first choice. Fingers crossed I can get it

Tears0Fire3000

Wow, sorry to offend you, but no I'm not making it up, I can describe the girl and her exact location. I have no reason to make it up, as there were plenty of other things that weren’t at the level I would have thought universal to be at.
And for your information I love being scared, and I have be scared at even local small firehouse events, I just don't find a girl in a tacky Vegas style/Mardi Gras outfit walking behind me completely out in the open laughing very surprising or scary. Hey like I said I even gave her a jump because she was following us for so long. I liked some of the other scare zones alot, but some were very lacking. I went to the event not expecting insane scares, but I did think there would be some really good animatronics and some real efforts, especially seeing as tickets were as much as 70 dollars.
I get that there is no controlling the lines, but having 2 hr lines posted as 40mins is not acceptable to me, again sorry, but it’s my opinion. And it is absolutely true that we walked through the “Orfanage” (her they spelled it that way not me) with only one single person making any effort.
Oh and I have great respect for people who work at haunted attractions, I know it’s a tough job, but it is a job and I found it very disappointing that some workers just didn’t seem to care. Oh and the girl selling blood bag shots while we were waiting did an amazing job of trying to keep people entertained, which I have to assume it wasn’t really her job, so yes I do notice people who put in an effort.
I wouldn't waste the money again as I said so you don't need to worry about that, Thanks
(Oh and the bro thing, sorry I'm a girl)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom