Here come the mermaids

MagicMike

"Ugh." - Everyone Who Loves The Ride

I mean, are we really going to do this with every movie? Just keep to the trend of shoehorning stuff onto what is already there? Continuing to skew the entire story line of the ride? How long before the "adding to" becomes "removing to make room for"?

I'm really not trying to sound horribly negative but...REALLY? MORE MOVIE STUFF?

Weather_Lady

I adored the first POTC movie, I really did! But adding movie-specific elements to a ride that lacked nothing to begin with is, to me, distracting and pointless, especially when it comes to the later POTC films, which I affirmatively disliked.

If they want to add working animatronics somewhere, I think we all know of some attractions that are in far greater need! ;)

TheTimeMan

Hello everyone, new member here. Question about the Pirates changes. If they are mermaids...any idea how they are going to be incorporated? Will they be Audio-Animatronics or an image like Davy Jones and Blackbeard?

danv3

Hopefully they'll be unobtrusive. It seems like a minor change if the work is over night. I think I read about a one day closure in October though.

bubbles1812

Apparently gone are the days when an attraction can go without having mucho ties to a movie... I understood putting in Sparrow but seriously, there isn't any need for more. The ride lasted how many years and still stayed popular without ties to a movie? Oh wait...over 30... What is the betting that if the haunted mansion movie had been successful, we would have gotten an Eddie Murphy animatronic?:eek:

Timothy_Q

I don't understand all the complaining.

It's hardly a tie in to the movies. They are mermaids. I don't think people will say "look, the mermaids from Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides!"
If the movie didn't exist and Disney decided to add mermaids to the ride, everyone would be thrilled

MKCP 1985

Pirates of the Caribbean was a billion dollar movie franchise, so somebody liked it. The mermaids added some menace to that last film and could be a welcome addition to the caves, so I look forward to seeing them in action.

There are always changes going on at Pirates. Some of the changes have not been as cool as this can be. Women chasing the pirates, anyone?

flynnibus

Premium Member
There are always changes going on at Pirates

No there's not.

The attraction was left virtually 'as is' until the poltically correct police struck.. and then left alone again until the movie's starting printing money. This isn't just 'this years change'. The attract stood unchanged for decades.. this is not change for freshness.. this is change for 'synergy' to continue to try to rewrite the attraction to actually be about the films - which it is not.

GrumpyFan

It's somewhat of a minor addition or "plussing" if you you will, but at least they're doing something trying to keep it fresh.
I like it and think it's a good addition that doesn't detract from the original spirit of the attraction.

Does anybody else find the irony in the two different kinds of Mermaids being added?
We have the rumored mean and nasty mermaids from the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides movie, then over in Fantasyland, we have Ariel. I wonder if this is intentional, or just a random occurrence where they saw an opportunity.

JustInTime

Hello everyone, new member here. Question about the Pirates changes. If they are mermaids...any idea how they are going to be incorporated? Will they be Audio-Animatronics or an image like Davy Jones and Blackbeard?

According to insiders here, these will be animatronics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom