Help please! DDP or not?- decides our trip dates!

the1nonlysinger

Original Poster
When I went to WDW a couple years ago- reading the boards were SO helpful so I'm hoping that you might be able to help me out with this important decision!

My husband are just jumping on board for a trip to WDW for early December. The dates we had originally picked (Dec 4-12) do not have a DDR promotion available so we would budgeting on our own for food. We were going to bring/buy @ grocery store- breakfast, snacks, and supplies to make lunch (peanut butter and bread?), and only buy dinner each day on property. We budgeted $400 overall, to include the groceries, and dinner on property for the 7 days we are in the parks (some counter, some table service). I know I'm being optimistic ($25 for 2 of us to have dinner for counter service x 4, and $50 for 2 of us to have table service x 3)- but that doable?

If we chose dates a week later in December (Dec 10-18) we have the option of the free DDP- with the optional upgrade to plus package. I'm waiting for the travel agent to get back to me with the prices... Our thought is that if the prices end up being the same- it's better to go with the DDR cause we won't be eating out of our backpacks. And obviously if it's lower to get the free DDR then it makes it worth our while.

My biggest concern is that the DDR will be too limiting and we will have to be much more rigid in planning instead of just flexible about where we feel like going that day. (obviously the advanced reservations are preferred and I will try to do that!) I am trying to eat healthy and was also concerned that there were be a limit of the menu- but from other posts on here, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Are you overall happy with the DDP? Is it worth the money? (Biggest complaint??)

AND, is there any reason we should know about NOT to go the later week- other than the fact that it's closer to Christmas (and less shopping days left!).

Thanks for all the help!!!

I have never used the DDP, but it sounds like you would have more choices with it than without. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about grocery shopping and making your two meals everyday.

As for the week that you are going, that is the week my family goes every year. It is generally a cheaper week to go (at least as a FL resident) than the week before. We enjoy it, but it is getting a little more crowded each year. I can't compare it to the week before though, since I have never gone that week.

Not sure if any of that is too helpful, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. :lol:

cemeb4dk

I think your budget of $50 for a table service for 2 will be hard to stay in. Look at the menus and add up prices. Unless your just going to do sandwiches or something off the menu. Even if you do a dinner buffet most are $25-$50 a person.

Dining plan in my opinion is not to restrictive, you just need to plan. But with the time your going and basically anytime of the year you need ADR's for table service anyways. Unless you go at off eating times you may need be able to get seated.

My suggestion is to get an idea where you want to eat, look at the menus and find what you would eat and do the total. Then compare to dining plan of $39 a person per night. I would also factor in carrying a cooler with you for you bag lunch and everything else.

For us the dining plan works with the 2 of us and a 4 year old daughter and the places we want to eat with her, by doing the math it works out cheaper with the DDP. Also the convience of knowing your meals are taken care of before hand. Sounds like your on a budget so having it paid up front may help you budget your trip better.

JillC LI

If the prices are close, this seems like a no-brainer to me. Get the DDP, don't worry about preparing your own food or sticking to a strict budget while you're on vacation, and enjoy the vast dining options that Disney offers! We just booked our trip with free dining in March 2011, and I'm psyched! :wave:

oxodizer

I ALWAYS use the DDP its so easy and once you are there you don't have to worry about it. I usually use the snack for breakfast to get a bagel or muffin and buy a juice or milk, then I use a counter service for lunch and the table service for dinner. When I and two friends went last week for 5 days we spent at least $100 on each sit down meal comprised of one non alcoholic drink each, one entree each and one dessert each. Without the dining plan our food would have easily cost 160 or more a day.

The one thing I would caution is if you do choose the DDP make your reservations for food right away because its not as easy to get tables when they are offering the DDP for free.

ThinkTink721

We always use the DDP...we have paid for it & have booked the free dining promo several times...it is worth it for our family of 5.
I prefer knowing where I am going to eat & having ADRs...I also like have the meals pre-paid so that I don't have to worry about it on my vacation...it makes it easier for us. :wave:

tink65

We also always use the DDP. We've purchased it and enjoyed the DDP free promotion every year since 2005. We just like knowing everything is taken care of with having everything prepaid. Do make your ADR as quickly as possible. If your schedule allows I would definitely go the week of Dec 12-18th so you can take advantage of the free offer! We were there during that time last Dec and it wasn't bad at all. You could tell though that the closer to the end of the week the more crowded it became!

Tomi-Rocket

always ddp....

We wouldn't go to Disney without the ddp! We love to try all the different restaurants and visit some favorites and there's NO WAY we could pay out of pocket to do all that. It would be a considerable amount to have to save just for quick service meals. Our biggest complaint last year? Too much food. How often do you hear that? :)

dvcnut39

We just got back. If you are able, I would use the DDP. Don't forget to budget in for tips also. Have a great trip.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'll throw in a negative response.... Sort of.

I never even consider DDP any more. I save much more than the costs of my food by having an AP and using the TiW discount card.

It depends on whether you always stay at Value resorts or Moderate/Deluxe. AP discounts at Beach Club last year saved me enough over eight nights to fully pay for an AP for myself, an 8-day Hopper for my son, a TiW card and with the TiW discount ALL our food while we were there.

Do the math for yourselves based on where you stay and how you prefer to eat vs what you get forced to eat with DDP to make it a value.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I would have to echo what Monty is saying here. The only time we ever used the DDP was for a short stay we had on-site last year, because the room discount was too good to pass up. Otherwise the AP discounts and the TiW card have always provided greater amounts of savings than we could gain with the DDP. But again, the best thing to look at is your family's dining habits and do the math from there. :wave:

WDW_Emily

We have never done the dinning plan before. but on our last trip we ate at a few table service places and decided to book it for our next trip. It's just easier and the tip is also included. I agree with what Monty said though do the math. if you are planning on only eating 2-3 table services meals the whole week, its not the best bang for you buck.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We have never done the dinning plan before. but on our last trip we ate at a few table service places and decided to book it for our next trip. It's just easier and the tip is also included. I agree with what Monty said though do the math. if you are planning on only eating 2-3 table services meals the whole week, its not the best bang for you buck.

The tip and appetizer were both removed a while ago.

Guess it's been a while? :lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
For reference: we are AP holders, with a TIW card. Similar to a religion, I believe the inventors of the DDP should be stoned, and their bodies used for heating purposes :)

But really, how do you feel? :lol:

I'm actually with you on this - DDP doesn't make any sense to me. Too much work for little or no return. :shrug:

ErickainPA

I would go the 2nd week of December anyway, it's the best time to go, low crowds and heck if you are not saving anything anyway on the hotel price, since you need to buy tickets anyway, go with free dining. The first week you have the parade taping going on as well as a sporting event, which means quite a few teens running around like nuts :)

Have a great time. I am going in Sept but decided not to get the DDP (need to have at least a 2 day park ticket bought) since I was saving 30-40% off my hotel room and for my 4 days about 2 meals a day, figured will be about $100-125 (1 meal I am eating at my Aunt and Uncle's house) Then 3 weeks later my family (myself, hubby, 3 kids) are going and taking advantage of free dining, since they don't have a room discount at that time and I need to buy park tickets anyway.

HouCuseChickie

I've had theories too - they involve catching one of the MK ducks, then roasting him/her over a cigarette lighter :)

Folks often forget about this part... it IS a vacation, not a Wilderness Survival Experience :)

First off- roasting MK ducks :ROFLOL:

Secondly- I agree about the vacation part. I've met a few people who don't factor food as an "enjoyment" aspect of their vacation, but it's the backbone to all of my trips- regardless of where we're going. Of course this trip, I'm compromising for the kids and cutting signature dining in favor of tons of character dining- but it comes back to food and the whole food/dining experience being an integral part of our vacations.

That being said- I know not everyone is like this. If you can eat according to your $400 plan, stick to it and save $, and be happy with it and still fully enjoy your trip- it might be worth considering. Otherwise, I'd shift my dates and try and get in on free DDP. If not- you might want to consider an AP and TiW...although it's worth doing the DDP math to see if your plans make it a $ saver for you. It took some number crunching, but I determined it would be a $ saver for us - before I added a few extra ADRs :lookaroun and then got free dining to justify my excess. :lol:

rodman1369

I have a naive question :lookaroun We are going to DisneyWorld with Family who are Disney Vacation Club Members. We are going in First week of January 2011. Can DVC members get this Dining Deal? Or the other options like the gift card? We just tag along on their membership...and they have never used the Dining Plan. But if it's FREE??? :slurp:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I have a naive question :lookaroun We are going to DisneyWorld with Family who are Disney Vacation Club Members. We are going in First week of January 2011. Can DVC members get this Dining Deal? Or the other options like the gift card? We just tag along on their membership...and they have never used the Dining Plan. But if it's FREE??? :slurp:

DVC members have access to the DDP. but not for free.

Nikki M

The answer to this one seems obvious to me, if you are going to starve yourself otherwise, get the FREE DDP. We have never, and will never use the DDP, it is not a good deal, but in your circumstance it seems you will be starving yourself unless you go with the DDP. Have fun on your vacation, the restaurants are part of the fun. I hope you can still get your ADR's, it is a little late for that. Try to get them ASAP.

Have fun on your trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom