Help me prepare for my first deluxe stay.

Mainahman

Original Poster
We absolutely love AKL. It was Kidani that actually got us hooked on DVC. I had never even heard of DVC but got one of those "magic" coupons for a room discount and booked us a one bedroom, honestly with no idea what that meant. We get there and I was shocked, "wow a whole kitchen, and the balcony overlooking the savanna blew me away".
One thing I would advise, is to go to the check in counter (even though they are trying to get people to do online checking) and there is no harm in asking if there is any way for an upgrade to a savanna facing view. I'm not sure it is going to be super crowded and if there is space they may be able to accommodate your request and throw a little (more) magic your direction!
Also with having a car and a full kitchen you can hit a grocery store and get some drinks/snacks etc. to further enjoy that large balcony you will have!
As a poster earlier said, coffee on that balcony before the crazy of the day is bliss!
I was going to call my requests in and ask for a "distorted" or whatever they call it Savannah view as one of my demands, but that's not a bad idea. We're planning to get there early to enjoy the pool. I did see a Publix close by, so thinking if stopping there before we get there. Secretly, I'm hoping.my wife.gets bitten by the DVC bug. ;) I'm really looking.forward.tk get up at say 5:30 or so, make some coffee and sit out there and relax!

MickeyCB

I was going to call my requests in and ask for a "distorted" or whatever they call it Savannah view as one of my demands, but that's not a bad idea. We're planning to get there early to enjoy the pool. I did see a Publix close by, so thinking if stopping there before we get there. Secretly, I'm hoping.my wife.gets bitten by the DVC bug. ;) I'm really looking.forward.tk get up at say 5:30 or so, make some coffee and sit out there and relax!
They will accept your requests for certain things, but tend to remind you they can't always accommodate them. I'm probably 70/30 on getting requests, floor levels, near lobby, etc. I don't think we've ever received an upgrade.
And you might want to go to the grocery store after you get your room, if you have cold/frozen items bell services might refrigerate them for you but I'm not sure. (Or call and ask I guess).
When we have groceries delivered by Garden Grocer they will store cold stuff they bring but I've never bought stuff, then asked them to put it in their fridges while you wait for your room. I don't know if they offer that service.
I love those one and two bedrooms to have snacks, drinks, our coffee brand, etc. available in the room. (I cook NOTHING)! 🤣
So excited to see how it works out for you guys!

Mainahman

Original Poster
They will accept your requests for certain things, but tend to remind you they can't always accommodate them. I'm probably 70/30 on getting requests, floor levels, near lobby, etc. I don't think we've ever received an upgrade.
And you might want to go to the grocery store after you get your room, if you have cold/frozen items bell services might refrigerate them for you but I'm not sure. (Or call and ask I guess).
When we have groceries delivered by Garden Grocer they will store cold stuff they bring but I've never bought stuff, then asked them to put it in their fridges while you wait for your room. I don't know if they offer that service.
I love those one and two bedrooms to have snacks, drinks, our coffee brand, etc. available in the room. (I cook NOTHING)! 🤣
So excited to see how it works out for you guys!
I got us a reservation for Sanaa for night one. That should take care of dinner. Groceries, we will mostly need dry goods, like coffee etc. I could see us running after for some milk for cereal etc. We drive so we can actually just leave alot of it in the car while were in the pool waiting for a room. Ive had decent luck getting my requests. although last time all i asked for was a king size bed, and we didnt get it, Oh well. Im just excited to get such an amazing resort!

epcotisbest

@Mainahman I am going to toss an unsolicited tip your way. We like to cook in the room and always do some grocery shopping when staying in a villa. Our favorite is a Publix at the Water Tower Shops at Celebration. It is a good grocery store with a nice deli and bakery department too, and is easy to get to from Kidani.
And, best of all, while over at Celebration, before you stock up on groceries, go over to the downtown section of Celebration and walk around. Then have lunch or dinner at a restaurant there called Columbia. It is our favorite restaurant in all of the Orlando area.
Look it up, check out the menu and then go give it a try. This is a shaping up to be a special trip, so you might as well try something else out that is new and different. You will thank me after trying Columbia.

Mainahman

Original Poster
@Mainahman I am going to toss an unsolicited tip your way. We like to cook in the room and always do some grocery shopping when staying in a villa. Our favorite is a Publix at the Water Tower Shops at Celebration. It is a good grocery store with a nice deli and bakery department too, and is easy to get to from Kidani.
And, best of all, while over at Celebration, before you stock up on groceries, go over to the downtown section of Celebration and walk around. Then have lunch or dinner at a restaurant there called Columbia. It is our favorite restaurant in all of the Orlando area.
Look it up, check out the menu and then go give it a try. This is a shaping up to be a special trip, so you might as well try something else out that is new and different. You will thank me after trying Columbia.

Good idea! Ill give it a look! I appreciate this. I will show the wife. If i looked at a map, is that the one like super close to AKL? like you could take a back road there? i was considering going there already ha!

epcotisbest

Good idea! Ill give it a look! I appreciate this. I will show the wife. If i looked at a map, is that the one like super close to AKL? like you could take a back road there? i was considering going there already ha!

There is a Publix on Orange Lake Blvd. that is closer, but we prefer the one at Celebration, because of Columbia and we just like visiting Celebration.

KenHutch

We normally stay at FQ but on our last trip we stayed at Animal Kingdom. Well about our 5th day we got back to the room and it was raining lightly. We got to stand on our balcony and watch a mother giraffe with its young one playing tag for about 15 minutes. Made the whole trip worth the cost and we ate at Boma for the 1st time. What can I say all you can eat Zebra Domes and I could easily make a meal just from the soups.

epcotisbest

Here is a trip report from a few years back that includes some photos from Celebration if you have any interest. Don't think we ate at Columbia on this trip, but we did do some resort hopping. Having stayed at many different DVC resorts, this one is one of our favorites, Saratoga Springs. We have stayed at it five times, and it would have been six, but our May trip this year got cancelled.

Club Cooloholic

My daughter got her last trip "on us" in 2018. She wants to go back,but knows the costs. We might have to delay next year's trip with the niece and nephew depending on my nephews recovery, so we might try to make my daughter and her fiance a deal. Pay for your part of the trip, we will drive you , and help you plan, and we will go together.
Well if you rent a 2 bedroom you can fit more in a d your daughter can contribute. Cheaper for everyone that way.

Toodycat

We switched from GF to the two bedroom at Kidani on our last trip to WDW in 2018. It was amazing. The rooms are gigantic, especially the master suite which has an enormous and luxurious bathroom. The balcony was lovely and you could see the animals at all hours. We loved it. You will have an amazing time!

Attachments

• AD764584-3350-48A8-83DD-80220016E602.jpeg
    AD764584-3350-48A8-83DD-80220016E602.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 854659B1-68F4-4915-92B0-D6BD87EDF56B.jpeg
    854659B1-68F4-4915-92B0-D6BD87EDF56B.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 368F7CC8-B48B-4AB1-97FB-5332FF690529.jpeg
    368F7CC8-B48B-4AB1-97FB-5332FF690529.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 196
  • C7CBBFFE-96F3-4EA5-9E9E-63721ADF497B.jpeg
    C7CBBFFE-96F3-4EA5-9E9E-63721ADF497B.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 37B6397A-A1CB-478D-988C-A04B5D193D85.jpeg
    37B6397A-A1CB-478D-988C-A04B5D193D85.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 166

Mainahman

Original Poster
We switched from GF to the two bedroom at Kidani on our last trip to WDW in 2018. It was amazing. The rooms are gigantic, especially the master suite which has an enormous and luxurious bathroom. The balcony was lovely and you could see the animals at all hours. We loved it. You will have an amazing time!
Man real photos are amazing!! Can not wait! Thank you so much!! It's huge! Will be great with 2 teenagers

Toodycat

Here are a bunch more. I love to take photos of resorts. You will have plenty of room with your teens. The unit sleeps 9. There are two double beds in one room, one bed in the master and a pull-out sofa and convertible chair In the living room.There are also three full baths.

Attachments

• 8BF14203-DDF4-49FC-AFB1-8DE8B7D64251.jpeg
    8BF14203-DDF4-49FC-AFB1-8DE8B7D64251.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 9B72A235-B47F-427E-95B2-C15361AD4F8A.jpeg
    9B72A235-B47F-427E-95B2-C15361AD4F8A.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 163
  • F19C7E93-6F41-4D62-91CB-030769312CA3.jpeg
    F19C7E93-6F41-4D62-91CB-030769312CA3.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 158
  • E2E06EDE-2F70-4714-B305-B86DD2633F76.jpeg
    E2E06EDE-2F70-4714-B305-B86DD2633F76.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 22776EA2-EBBE-4D1D-998E-F449644C9EC0.jpeg
    22776EA2-EBBE-4D1D-998E-F449644C9EC0.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 9B01395E-724D-4B27-934D-A4C2C5449808.jpeg
    9B01395E-724D-4B27-934D-A4C2C5449808.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 1077FB4D-77C3-4CC6-92B2-B6BA6D1F7545.jpeg
    1077FB4D-77C3-4CC6-92B2-B6BA6D1F7545.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 61767B58-F79E-4C15-8C00-462AEA1BB10D.jpeg
    61767B58-F79E-4C15-8C00-462AEA1BB10D.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 181

Mainahman

Original Poster
Here are a bunch more. I love to take photos of resorts. You will have plenty of room with your teens. The unit sleeps 9. There are two double beds in one room, one bed in the master and a pull-out sofa and convertible chair In the living room.There are also three full baths.
It's beautiful! 39 days left! I've never experienced anything that grand, so this will be a great adventure.

InHisLove

So excited for you!! Thank you for sharing the blessing. We love the bead activities at Animal
Kingdom Lodge, but I'm not sure if they will be happening. Cookie decorating is one of my kid's favorites, but also something I imagine won't be available now. The pool at Kidani is amazing!

Mainahman

Original Poster
So excited for you!! Thank you for sharing the blessing. We love the bead activities at Animal
Kingdom Lodge, but I'm not sure if they will be happening. Cookie decorating is one of my kid's favorites, but also something I imagine won't be available now. The pool at Kidani is amazing!
I hear most of the resort activities are off because of covid, but the pool, and pool bar will be there. My neice and nephew will love the waterslide and animals on site. With lower park hours we may actually spend more time at the resort. We are beyond excited. Best part is the kiddos have no idea where we got put. I want to surprise them.

Kekscast

One of the recent episodes of the Radio Harambe podcast actually has a great "touring plan" of the Animal Kingdom Lodge where they tell you about all the things you can and should do - I recommend it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom