Help me prepare for my first deluxe stay.

Mainahman

Original Poster
If we drove non stop it would take us close to 15 hours and that even with myself, mom, and dad driving is not going to happen. I enjoy the first day at the pool because the rest of the vacation there isn't much more time for the pool so the first day we get a lot of that in. We then go to Disney Springs in the evening for a meal and some shopping. It is a nice first day. It is also good if it is the first time vacationing at the resort and you get to know your surroundings.
This will be a great new adventure. We know POP century like the back of our hands The look on the kids faces when we arrive will totally be worth it.

Doodlelicious

This will be a great new adventure. We know POP century like the back of our hands The look on the kids faces when we arrive will totally be worth it.
Just the beautiful decor of the place will put smiles on the entire family. I hope they still have the fire pit chats about there cultures in the evenings because that is something to see in itself.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Just the beautiful decor of the place will put smiles on the entire family. I hope they still have the fire pit chats about there cultures in the evenings because that is something to see in itself.
I believe it's off due to covid. It sounds amazing though. I need to start planning out 2021 trip, and trying to figure out where to stay currently

Doodlelicious

I believe it's off due to covid. It sounds amazing though. I need to start planning out 2021 trip, and trying to figure out where to stay currently
That is a shame. I was a teen when I saw that and you would think that would be the last thing a teen would want to go to, but it was great. I am now 21 and would love to see it again. I am not sure when I will be going back to WDW as I am quickly running out of WDW vacations with my parents. :( I will be graduating from college next Spring and hopefully getting a real job and finding a place to live on my own shortly after that. I will have to start thinking about my own vacations to WDW and eventually my own family WDW vacations.

Mainahman

Original Poster
That is a shame. I was a teen when I saw that and you would think that would be the last thing a teen would want to go to, but it was great. I am now 21 and would love to see it again. I am not sure when I will be going back to WDW as I am quickly running out of WDW vacations with my parents. :( I will be graduating from college next Spring and hopefully getting a real job and finding a place to live on my own shortly after that. I will have to start thinking about my own vacations to WDW and eventually my own family WDW vacations.
I'm heavily leaning on making a Polynesian stay the plan for next year, but just need to get the wife on board.

Doodlelicious

I'm heavily leaning on making a Polynesian stay the plan for next year, but just need to get the wife on board.
Another great resort that I haven't stayed at for quite some time. Huge plus is it is on the Monorail system. It also has some great restaurants. Plus Trader Sams which I have never gotten to drink at, but have heard great things.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Another great resort that I haven't stayed at for quite some time. Huge plus is it is on the Monorail system. It also has some great restaurants. Plus Trader Sams which I have never gotten to drink at, but have heard great things.
Weighing options. It will be my other neice and nephews first time, so I want it to be just as special as this one with the niece and nephew that are going this year.

Doodlelicious

Weighing options. It will be my other neice and nephews first time, so I want it to be just as special as this one with the niece and nephew that are going this year.
Polynesian will be extremely nice. The Grand Floridian is my favorite resort that I have been to as it is elegant and just has so much detail to it. My days going to the Grand Floridian will be soon over once I start paying my own way though.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Polynesian will be extremely nice. The Grand Floridian is my favorite resort that I have been to as it is elegant and just has so much detail to it. My days going to the Grand Floridian will be soon over once I start paying my own way though.
My daughter got her last trip "on us" in 2018. She wants to go back,but knows the costs. We might have to delay next year's trip with the niece and nephew depending on my nephews recovery, so we might try to make my daughter and her fiance a deal. Pay for your part of the trip, we will drive you , and help you plan, and we will go together.

Doodlelicious

My daughter got her last trip "on us" in 2018. She wants to go back,but knows the costs. We might have to delay next year's trip with the niece and nephew depending on my nephews recovery, so we might try to make my daughter and her fiance a deal. Pay for your part of the trip, we will drive you , and help you plan, and we will go together.
My Mom and Dad know how much I love Disney and they know how much an Art Teacher just starting out is going to make. Both my parents are in the Medical Field as mt dad is a Neurologist and my mom is a Physical Therapist so when I said I wanted to study to become an Art Teacher they had to be a bit on the shocked side. :) Needless to say if I need a little financial help to make a vacation happen they will make it happen for me. Heck I think you know what I am talking about because you mentioned that you have a daughter. Well I am my dads princess and that is the way it always will be. I am not saying I am going to rely on my parents all my life because I am definitely not going to do that, but I know they got my back.

Mainahman

Original Poster
My Mom and Dad know how much I love Disney and they know how much an Art Teacher just starting out is going to make. Both my parents are in the Medical Field as mt dad is a Neurologist and my mom is a Physical Therapist so when I said I wanted to study to become an Art Teacher they had to be a bit on the shocked side. :) Needless to say if I need a little financial help to make a vacation happen they will make it happen for me. Heck I think you know what I am talking about because you mentioned that you have a daughter. Well I am my dads princess and that is the way it always will be. I am not saying I am going to rely on my parents all my life because I am definitely not going to do that, but I know they got my back.
I know she wants to go back, if we delay my nephew because of his leg healing, we will likely go just after true 50th and go with them. I'd likely make her a deal to pay for thier ticket portion, and we will take care of the resort portion to be able to let them stay somewhere nicer.

Doodlelicious

I know she wants to go back, if we delay my nephew because of his leg healing, we will likely go just after true 50th and go with them. I'd likely make her a deal to pay for thier ticket portion, and we will take care of the resort portion to be able to let them stay somewhere nicer.
I imagine every resort in WDW is great. I have been 10 times since I was young till just last October and we have as a family stayed in what is considered the Deluxe type of resorts. Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk and Contemporary. Once I move out I will stay where ever I can afford to stay. To me the perks of staying on Disney property is huge while vacationing at WDW.

Mainahman

Original Poster
I imagine every resort in WDW is great. I have been 10 times since I was young till just last October and we have as a family stayed in what is considered the Deluxe type of resorts. Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk and Contemporary. Once I move out I will stay where ever I can afford to stay. To me the perks of staying on Disney property is huge while vacationing at WDW.
We've always been at POP because it's affordable, and we're never there. I'm hoping this kidani stay changes that.

Doodlelicious

We've always been at POP because it's affordable, and we're never there. I'm hoping this kidani stay changes that.
I have never been to POP, but I do know what you mean about not spending much time at the resort. I can tell you though the AKL you will be relaxed just be the scenery around you. The pool itself it relaxing. Like I said taking a walk around the resort at night when the Stakes are lit around the resort is very nice and peaceful. As I am writing this, it is funny because I was a teen when I was at the AKL and you would think I would want to be running around at the pool or in the arcade all the time. Take this into consideration though, I was an artsy fartsy kind of kid who like all the beautiful detail and pretty scenery. So that was all cool to me. I tell you there are 3 resorts in all of WDW that I could sit outside and just draw and paint all day and they are the Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Wilderness Lodge, and the Polynesian Resort. You will be relaxed.

Mainahman

Original Poster
I have never been to POP, but I do know what you mean about not spending much time at the resort. I can tell you though the AKL you will be relaxed just be the scenery around you. The pool itself it relaxing. Like I said taking a walk around the resort at night when the Stakes are lit around the resort is very nice and peaceful. As I am writing this, it is funny because I was a teen when I was at the AKL and you would think I would want to be running around at the pool or in the arcade all the time. Take this into consideration though, I was an artsy fartsy kind of kid who like all the beautiful detail and pretty scenery. So that was all cool to me. I tell you there are 3 resorts in all of WDW that I could sit outside and just draw and paint all day and they are the Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Wilderness Lodge, and the Polynesian Resort. You will be relaxed.
Wilderness lodge is on my to do list too. Maybe my next just wife and I trip I'll book wilderness once it's available again.

cgersic

We went in October after the Skyliner was open. We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, but drove over to DS. From DS, we took a bus to Pop, walked around there then caught the Skyliner to HS, just to ride it. Then we got back on and rode the Skyliner over to Epcot. From Epcot, we walked around the Boardwalk area then took the Skyliner back to HS where we caught a bus to Poly to get a Dole Whip. We then walked over to GF and explored there a little while before taking the monorail to MK, where we got off and took a boat to Wilderness Lodge. After enjoying walking around WL, We took a boat back to MK and caught a bus to POR Riverside, where we walked around a bit then caught the boat back to DS, explored DS then got the car and headed back to WBC. Made for a fun day trying out the Skyliner and doing some resort hopping. Yes, we like resort hopping. Do it almost every trip.
As it is just my wife and I, no kids, we often spend more time at the resorts than in the parks now. It used to be we were parks all day every day, but no longer.
That just sounds like a perfect day! I love resort hopping!!

HouCuseChickie

We've stayed at AKL several times...most recently, January 2020. We've always stayed in Jambo, but we usually wander around Kidani when we have ADRs for Sanaa. I'm particularly fond of Kidani's outdoor public viewing area for the animals because you're on ground level with them. While not the most dramatic, some of my favorite animals are the little tortoises who live in the area right near the glass by the Sanaa bathrooms. Beyond that, if you walk the hallways of Kidani's, there are a number of museum type displays. Some of it is really interesting stuff.

You also mentioned the Poly...and barring any unforeseen issues, we'll be there in February. My favorite is actually the Contemporary, but we want the kitchenette this time, the Poly studios are bigger than BLT's and the extra space work better for our plans for this trip.

Mainahman

Original Poster
We've stayed at AKL several times...most recently, January 2020. We've always stayed in Jambo, but we usually wander around Kidani when we have ADRs for Sanaa. I'm particularly fond of Kidani's outdoor public viewing area for the animals because you're on ground level with them. While not the most dramatic, some of my favorite animals are the little tortoises who live in the area right near the glass by the Sanaa bathrooms. Beyond that, if you walk the hallways of Kidani's, there are a number of museum type displays. Some of it is really interesting stuff.

You also mentioned the Poly...and barring any unforeseen issues, we'll be there in February. My favorite is actually the Contemporary, but we want the kitchenette this time, the Poly studios are bigger than BLT's and the extra space work better for our plans for this trip.
Im really excited for this trip. POP has always been really just a place to sleep, but with lower park hours, and likely more time at the resort, im looking forward to that for sure. I am secretly hoping, my wife gets bit by the deluxe bug, and i can get her on board to go to deluxe accomodations going forward. Id like to potentially even buy into DVC somehow through a re sale, so we will see how this all goes, but to me to have Sanaa at my fingertips, and animals, im in heaven. Weve never stayed any closer to the parks, so that doesnt bother us, as i know for some people thats a Con of AKL, but POPs bus trip to MK is always long and annoying too. We Drive, so we planned this round to drive to AK,DHS,and EPCOT. We have 2 MK days, so maybe we do 1 day driving to TTC and dealing with that, and one day by bus.

MickeyCB

We absolutely love AKL. It was Kidani that actually got us hooked on DVC. I had never even heard of DVC but got one of those "magic" coupons for a room discount and booked us a one bedroom, honestly with no idea what that meant. We get there and I was shocked, "wow a whole kitchen, and the balcony overlooking the savanna blew me away".
One thing I would advise, is to go to the check in counter (even though they are trying to get people to do online checking) and there is no harm in asking if there is any way for an upgrade to a savanna facing view. I'm not sure it is going to be super crowded and if there is space they may be able to accommodate your request and throw a little (more) magic your direction!
Also with having a car and a full kitchen you can hit a grocery store and get some drinks/snacks etc. to further enjoy that large balcony you will have!
As a poster earlier said, coffee on that balcony before the crazy of the day is bliss!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom