Help Locating Name Badge For Purchase

GMRO

Original Poster
Hi folks,

Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking for the authentic name badge for purchase. Anyone know where, what store or park, sells these? I've seen them before...it’s the one that is similar to what WDW employees wear that show their name and location.

My wife and I are going back home this May and I'd really like to get one. She may want one too. It’s the little things these days that we enjoy most. ;)

Thanks for the help in advance!

bluefaery

The name badges are not sold in the parks anymore. You might want to try looking on e-bay. That is where I bought mine from 2 years ago.

MissM

Yup, sadly they were discontinued. I really still want a Figment one personally but I've never found a blank up for grabs since they left the parks. :(

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
They used to be sold at Disney/MGM Studios at the Five & Dime Store and at MK at the Emporium. I've heard they were also available at DTD in the Christmas Store.

Sadly, they are no longer sold on property. There has been conjecture that Disney was concerned that people wearing them in the parks might be mistaken for Cast Members by guests who weren't aware that CMs nametags are always white, while guest nametags are coloured. I can somewhat understand that, since I do get approached by strangers when I'm wearing mine and asked for directions. I always point out that I'm not an employee and then almost invariably answer their questions anyway. :D

I found a website that sells them, but I've never dealt with them so I won't vouch for the site: http://www.yourwdwstore.net/Name-Tags_c_77.html

DizneyPryncess

They used to be sold at Disney/MGM Studios at the Five & Dime Store and at MK at the Emporium. I've heard they were also available at DTD in the Christmas Store.

Sadly, they are no longer sold on property. There has been conjecture that Disney was concerned that people wearing them in the parks might be mistaken for Cast Members by guests who weren't aware that CMs nametags are always white, while guest nametags are coloured. I can somewhat understand that, since I do get approached by strangers when I'm wearing mine and asked for directions. I always point out that I'm not an employee and then almost invariably answer their questions anyway. :D

I found a website that sells them, but I've never dealt with them so I won't vouch for the site: http://www.yourwdwstore.net/Name-Tags_c_77.html

That makes a ton of sense. I tried to find one on my last visit and couldn't. I swore I'd seen them before though. That's a pretty good reason to stop selling them - it probably became a security concern too. I'm sure Disney doesn't want random people pretending to be CM's and giving out false information to other guests.

I'll try the site you posted, and see what luck I have with it!

Figment82

I have the Figment and had it engraved to say "Figment." People would ask me questions all the time when I wore it. It would make me laugh. :) The best part about that design is that it actually appears like it's upside-down, due to the nature of Figment's placement.

GMRO

Original Poster
Well I appreciate all the input. Makes a little sense why they discontinued them. I’ll have to look at the site provided in this thread. THANKS!

More importantly we won’t go running all over property looking for them! Can’t say how many times we missed out on an item we saw on our first day or so on vacation – then later in the trip decided to get the item – had to run around looking for it and end up NOT finding it since it was out of stock. Now we just get it at first glance…what’s the worst that can happen…just return it if you change your mind. ;)

Thanks for all the info!

Ziffell

I don't think there's any question that that's why they discontinued selling them. In fact, I'm sure they're not crazy about guests who bought them continuing to wear them in the parks. CMs probably couldn't care less, but I doubt Disney management is crazy about it. If I had one, I wouldn't wear it in the parks.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I don't think there's any question that that's why they discontinued selling them. In fact, I'm sure they're not crazy about guests who bought them continuing to wear them in the parks. CMs probably couldn't care less, but I doubt Disney management is crazy about it. If I had one, I wouldn't wear it in the parks.
I do. I really don't care too much why they stopped selling them, I bought one intending to wear it.

MissM

I still want a Figment one. And I'd wear it. I think it's pretty obvious a chick in the tee, shorts and bucket hat isn't a cast member, name tag or not. :lol:

LilMommyBug

Everytime we go DH & I wear ours, and almost every time someone asks us for directions. Last time DH was wearing his pin lanyard and someone came up and wanted to trade pins. He said "No, thanks" and they got really upset & told him as an employee he is supposed to trade!! Another time someone got upset because he didn't know where the nearest bathroom was!

So yeah, I can understand why they discontinued them.

DisneyMusician2

They were cool though....I still think I have one somewhere...a red Mickey if I remember correctly. I'll have to take a look being as I'm covered under almost 2ft. of snow today...

Duckberg

Ding ding ding

SECURITY ISSUES are probably the #1 reason why this type of item should NOT be sold! Duckberg :cool:

cymbaldiva

Ummmm ... the one I bought way back when was red in color, had my name engraved and read "Guest of Honor" on the top and my hometown on the bottom - I really don't see how it could be a security issue when it was so obviously different from an actual cast member badge. I do know that the places that used to sell the custom badges now usually sell pins, so my thought is that the mass market pins are more profitable than the custom badges ... just a thought, could be wrong .... :shrug:

MKCP 1985

I really don't see how it could be a security issue when it was so obviously different from an actual cast member badge.

because people leave their brains at home when they go on vacation! :lol:

No, seriously - the casual visitor barely pays attention to these details and can't be expected to know the difference between the "actual" versus "similar" name tag.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
SECURITY ISSUES are probably the #1 reason why this type of item should NOT be sold! Duckberg :cool:
Love bold statements that say nothing... :rolleyes:

There are no SECURITY ISSUES regarding people buying or wearing guest name tags. They are a nice Disney item that was sold with a kit to make them into a luggage tag, name tag or key chain. That's all.

Do other guests occasionally mistake me for staff in the parks? Yes, but it's not a frequent occurrence and certainly would not be something someone with criminal or nefarious intent would be wearing a name tag in order to take advantage of. People who really want to do bad things can easily do so without wearing a coloured tag instead of a white tag in hope of someone asking them for help because they're mistaken to be CMs.

My personal opinion is that Disney stopped carrying them in the parks because they weren't a high-traffic item. People who bought them were usually hard-core Disney fans as opposed to casual guests. Most people familiar with "personalized" Disney items think of having their name embroidered on a set of Mickey Ears, not on a luggage tag. If items don't move relatively well in retail, you stop carrying the items.

The on-line store that does still sell them appears to have the engraving done by Disney when you order one. All the tags they sell have the following disclaimer:

By request we will have Disney engrave a name on the tag.
Disney will only engrave common proper names.
They will not engrave anything related to or resembling a Disney character name.
DISNEY HAS THE FINAL SAY ON WHAT IS OK TO ENGRAVE.​

Would Disney still do the engraving on the tags if they had discontinued selling them for security reasons or didn't want guests wearing them in the parks? Not a chance. It's simply that it wasn't cost effective to continue selling them themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom