Rumor Heimlich's Chew Chew Train being moved to Florida? (Reddit rumor)

Hayley In Wonderland

I'm not saying I don't agree. LOL. I'm not clamoring for the flats to come to FL. But bugs land was kind of charming. I wish we had that instead of Dinorama. I can't see both existing. Who knows? They have lots of 'plans' lol.

But reuse and recycle makes sense for TDO.
Dinorama is garbage. A retheme to a decent Dinosaur themed area would be incredible.

FerretAfros

This started out as a fan campaign by Safari Mike from the Radio Harambe podcast. I haven't read/heard anything about it actually happening.

I do support the idea, however.
I'm not on Twitter nor have I ever heard of Safari Mike, but for what it's worth, I heard about the potential of this happening more than a month before that tweet. When I first heard about it, both Heimlich's Chew Chew Train and Francis's Lady Bug Boogie were expected to make the move to the Planet Watch area, but I haven't heard much about it since then. It was discussed briefly in the Pixar Pier thread in the DL section of the boards:
giphy.gif

The proposed location is not at DLR.

I trust this person implicitly, but the very idea of relocating these attractions to "save money" is just so patently absurd that I have to question it. Why go through the expense of relocating and building all new support facilities for the negligible savings on a (cheap, standard) ride mechanism that's already got 16 years of wear and tear on it? It's an idea so dumb that only Disney could come up with it.
They're going to move the existing ride mechanism. Disney tends to amortize attractions over 20 years, and since the Flik's Fun Fair addition is less than 20 years old they haven't fully "gotten their money's worth" from it yet. [Edit: If one of my sources is to be believed, this won't be the only attraction from that area that finds a new home elsewhere]

Nevermind that relocation, redressing, reinstallation, and site work at the new location will likely cost orders of magnitude more than the ride mechanism itself. Or that the ride mechanism is a sunk cost at this point. Or the opportunity cost of using the Maliboomer site that could easily be an expansion pad for an all-new attraction that is actually worthwhile and marketable.

Disney is going to save money, no matter how much it costs them!
As I discussed in that thread, the claim that this is being done for financial reasons doesn't make sense to me. With Disney's bloated design and construction costs, the parts that could be reused would be a negligible amount (likely less than 10%) of the budget to reconfigure, relocate, and reinstall them, and they'd have the disadvantage of many years of wear and tear. There are plenty of reasons to add new attractions to DAK, but doing it simply because there are some old ride vehicles laying around isn't a very compelling one.

It's an idea that only makes sense on paper to someone with very little real-world experience. It's such a strange idea that it actually fits right in with Disney's current approach to the parks.

Kman101

I'm not on Twitter nor have I ever heard of Safari Mike, but for what it's worth, I heard about the potential of this happening more than a month before that tweet. When I first heard about it, both Heimlich's Chew Chew Train and Francis's Lady Bug Boogie were expected to make the move to the Planet Watch area, but I haven't heard much about it since then. It was discussed briefly in the Pixar Pier thread in the DL section of the boards:

As I discussed in that thread, the claim that this is being done for financial reasons doesn't make sense to me. With Disney's bloated design and construction costs, the parts that could be reused would be a negligible amount (likely less than 10%) of the budget to reconfigure, relocate, and reinstall them, and they'd have the disadvantage of many years of wear and tear. There are plenty of reasons to add new attractions to DAK, but doing it simply because there are some old ride vehicles laying around isn't a very compelling one.

It's an idea that only makes sense on paper to someone with very little real-world experience. It's such a strange idea that it actually fits right in with Disney's current approach to the parks.

I saw your post! (No one else really picked up on it). Even though you didn't say FL at the time, I had a feeling, knowing what they do.

DAK1928

I'm not on Twitter nor have I ever heard of Safari Mike, but for what it's worth, I heard about the potential of this happening more than a month before that tweet. When I first heard about it, both Heimlich's Chew Chew Train and Francis's Lady Bug Boogie were expected to make the move to the Planet Watch area, but I haven't heard much about it since then. It was discussed briefly in the Pixar Pier thread in the DL section of the boards

Hmm interesting, thanks for the quote. I'll modify my original post to reflect your info.

Although Radio Harambe had spoken about it on their podcast prior to that tweet, it was still presented as a fan initiative from what I recall (I'll have to track down the episode #).

CHOX

Not to be sound a snob but how much could the ride system here really be worth? I mean I see this same ride system at outlet malls it's basically a kiddie train ride? Unless there was a perfect spot for this already I wouldn't put that much effort into bringing it here just because it's available

But this ride has super sized gorilla animal crackers!

tl77

There's no way they'd put flat rides under the Tree of Life.

None of this is likely happening anyway. I just don't think it'd be the awful fit some think. Bugs Land was actually kind of charming.

I think the area around the Tree of Life was designed to some day be expanded, like the MK hub in the 70's left room for future expansion... it's seems like you have to do a lot of walking to get to the Bug's Life theater. I remember the lines being long for Tough to be a Bug when it opened 20 years ago, but this 4th of July we just walked straight to the waiting area under the Tree of Life

And although I've never been to Disneyland, the Bug's Land does seem really charming, it's also the kind of thing I wish they had at WDW. There's very little to do for kids under the age of 6 in WDW except go to the Magic Kingdom, which why it's stroller city over there, and the only "kiddie ride" at AK is the Tricera Top Spin. So I think they could certainly use a pre-school aged area like Bug's Land at AK, and it'd be nice if all those little rides were near one another, so you don't have to push a stroller all over the park

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As others have stated, the cost savings from moving Heimlich to DAK don't really seem to add up. There's just not that much value to the old parts of the ride, I don't think.

That being said, I think DAK could really use attractions like those in Bug's Land. Frankly, every park other than MK (which already has the carousel, Dumbo, counter-clockwise Dumbo, rocket-Dumbo, carpet-Dumbo, and the tea cups) could use attractions like those in Bug's Land. Obviously, DHS now has ASwS, and DAK has Dino-Dumbo, but more rides along those lines would be helpful for those with little ones.

Last edited:

Tay

I really hope this is true. I was planning a trip to DL to ride this before it went away. I’ve wanted to ride this since I was about 5 and saw a special. My doctors said I couldn’t fly for the rest of 2018 and have been pretty bum about missing this. Even though it’s probably only a minute.

I really don’t get the nastiness for this if true. DAK and DHS really need these type of rides. It’s a cute little ride and the rides in BL have to be in decent condition for one to be rethemed and another that’s supposed to be on the move. The bumper cars look terrible. I would love for some better theme ones to come over.

Is there a thread on Francis being relocated?

Tay

Basically teacups and a train. I'm sure it saves them something ... Once I read that Francis' was being relocated but not in Anaheim I wondered if the Bugs would be coming to the Land at Epcot, but it makes more sense to go to Animal Kingdom (though bugs could work in the land if they needed to shoehorn an IP, thankfully it seems The Land boat ride will be IP-less and I doubt they want to give up their glorified food court).

If Dinorama gets leveled (though I've wondered if Donald's Dino-Bash has somehow saved it? Just a wonder, nothing I've heard, I know nothing lol) they probably still want a kids area with flat rides.

I'd hope they extend/build on Heimlech's if this turns out to be true. Those complaining about Heimlech's have to remember it's not technically for adults. It wasn't meant to be much more than we got. It felt like people expected something different and were understandably let down once on it.
Do you have a link?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom