Height balloons, this time between TTC and Contemporary

Thrill

I think the cost would be too great to just demolish Poly and replace it with an aulani style property...

I recall that a while back, there was a discussion about Polynesian and how it will soon need a refurbishment. Someone posted that, at the time when Polynesian was built, the hotel buildings were designed to last around 50 years, after which it would be more cost-effective to demolish the building and start from scratch than to maintain/refurbish the existing structure. So the high cost of building a new resort might actually be cheaper than working with what's currently there.

Assuming that I'm not making this up, and the information I said above is true, Polynesian turns 50 in 2021. 9 years away. Let's say that the building isn't living up to expectations and will need to go down sooner. Throw in time for construction, and it's possible that we're looking at an early design phase of a new Polynesian, set to open up right when the old closes.

This is extreme speculation, so I'm almost definitely wrong.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I don't know if this was mentioned, but what if they're going to move the balloon ride they have at DTD to a much better location on the Seven Seas Lagoon?

Fractal514

Perhaps... Just Perhaps they might be thinking Moderate or Value on the Monorail line?

Never. It is no mistake that Values are way out in nowheresville, and Moderates are in slightly better locations, and that Deluxes have much closer locations and better access to the parks. That's the price you pay.

tikiman

I recall that a while back, there was a discussion about Polynesian and how it will soon need a refurbishment. Someone posted that, at the time when Polynesian was built, the hotel buildings were designed to last around 50 years, after which it would be more cost-effective to demolish the building and start from scratch than to maintain/refurbish the existing structure. So the high cost of building a new resort might actually be cheaper than working with what's currently there.

Assuming that I'm not making this up, and the information I said above is true, Polynesian turns 50 in 2021. 9 years away. Let's say that the building isn't living up to expectations and will need to go down sooner. Throw in time for construction, and it's possible that we're looking at an early design phase of a new Polynesian, set to open up right when the old closes.

This is extreme speculation, so I'm almost definitely wrong.

The 50 year thing may be true for most hotels but I don’t believe they have any intension of taking down the main structures of the longhouse just like I don’t see them taking down the Contemporary when it turns 50. The Polynesian rooms were gutted in 2002 as seen in this photo

construc4.jpg

They are in the middle of the new room design which will take a few years to implement. If the DVC construction affects anything it will be Luau Cove and possibly Aotearoa but I really don’t imagine it will affect any other longhouses. Taking out the longhouses would mean shutting down the whole resort for an extended period and from what I hear that is just not going to happen.

As much as I like what they did with Aulani I don’t see them considering doing a clone of that resort here being it is a 100% Hawaiian theme. Most of what is at the Polynesian is designs from other Pacific Islands and not just the Hawaiian Islands.

flavious27

The 50 year thing may be true for most hotels but I don’t believe they have any intension of taking down the main structures of the longhouse just like I don’t see them taking down the Contemporary when it turns 50. The Polynesian rooms were gutted in 2002 as seen in this photo

construc4.jpg

They are in the middle of the new room design which will take a few years to implement. If the DVC construction affects anything it will be Luau Cove and possibly Aotearoa but I really don’t imagine it will affect any other longhouses. Taking out the longhouses would mean shutting down the whole resort for an extended period and from what I hear that is just not going to happen.

As much as I like what they did with Aulani I don’t see them considering doing a clone of that resort here being it is a 100% Hawaiian theme. Most of what is at the Polynesian is designs from other Pacific Islands and not just the Hawaiian Islands.

Very true. As much as they like to have the deluxes be based around one large lobby area, it would be a nightmare to convert over the whole area. If they had to close poly for a year, the hit in revenue would be over $100 million.

Never. It is no mistake that Values are way out in nowheresville, and Moderates are in slightly better locations, and that Deluxes have much closer locations and better access to the parks. That's the price you pay.

The cost of extending the monorails to any of the other hotels would drastically increase hotel rates. Any moderate would be priced as a deluxe to cover part of the cost of construction and maintenance. The closest we will get to a monorail expansion would be a prt system implemented.

djkidkaz

I actually like the balloon. I don't mind the colors and I think it's perfect in its current location. It gives DTD a much needed weenie.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
true, but I believe one complaint about the current location is they can't really see MK from the balloon

Send it up higher.

I don't want to see the balloon from the MK.

You can see about 40 miles from the balloon. If you can see downtown Orlando, you can certainly see the MK. Maybe not the detail you would like because of the distance, but it is certainly visible. :wave:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
You can see about 40 miles from the balloon. If you can see downtown Orlando, you can certainly see the MK. Maybe not the detail you would like because of the distance, but it is certainly visible. :wave:

Its not that, its more of a sightline issue from what I've heard, like the Contemporary blocks the view of almost everything or something like that, just what I've heard

gregg17

I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure some insiders (Martin?) have hinted at this previously. IMO it's not the worst DVC Disney could come up with. If anything, it'll restore the balance and symmetry to the look of the Contemporary. I'd definitely take a south BLT over a Polynesian high-rise...

BLT II would make it the largest hidden Mickey in the world right?

Chewmonkey

Transportation

I disagree. I think Pop and AoA are in a much better location than most of the Moderates. And the Pop bus system might be the best on property. MK is a bit of a ride, but the rest of the parks are close, EP and HS right around the corner.

We were at Epcot last week, and had reservations at 1900 Park at the GF. I learned there's no bus to the GF - you need to take the monorail to the TTC and transfer to the resort line.

I couldn't believe that is was more of a chore for people paying $500 a night to get back to their room that for me at a value.

Chewmonkey

Also...

We also saw the site balloons, and there were a lot of them. Going over the area on the monorail,

I noticed they did have some equipment down there also - it looked like a bobcat and a small bulldozer. I thought maybe it was for perk testing.

...and don't forget they're doing road work right there too.

I disagree. I think Pop and AoA are in a much better location than most of the Moderates. And the Pop bus system might be the best on property. MK is a bit of a ride, but the rest of the parks are close, EP and HS right around the corner.

We were at Epcot last week, and had reservations at 1900 Park at the GF. I learned there's no bus to the GF - you need to take the monorail to the TTC and transfer to the resort line.

I couldn't believe that is was more of a chore for people paying $500 a night to get back to their room that for me at a value.

I agree with this - while the MK resorts have good service to the MK, and Epcot resorts have good service to Epcot/DHS, thats about where it ends. We find the Deluxes to have the worst overall transportation, and the moderates and values - though its all buses - are far easier to use and faster overall. Waiting for a bus at a Deluxe is often terrible, and with no queue you land up getting cut by a huge family that shows up as the bus is approaching all too often.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom