Height balloons, this time between TTC and Contemporary

DougK

My understanding is the new room design consists of everything from the walls in, No work behind the walls but extensive work was done in that area back in 2002.

Roofing the longhouses happens every few years separate to any room design changes but mostly consists of re-priming and painting the rooms, not necessarily replacing the roof unless there is a damaged area. After all they are metal.

As far as what will be done with the GCH it is anybody’s guess. They have two main objectives in the GCH. Become ADA compliant and remove all remaining asbestos. I am sure more than just that will be done but too many different scenarios have been discussed to know what exactly they are going to decide to do.

I know on my site I threw out the idea of them building another Aulani where the Polynesian is but from everything I am told about the plans being put in place, that is not going to happen.

Thanks for the info Steve. This seems pretty reasonable compared to some of the rumors out there. I never thought closing and rebuilding the entire Polynesian made any sense, too much lost revenue. Obviously the GCH is still the biggest wildcard since it appears even you don't for certain how they are going to improve it.

wdw71fan

Thanks for the info Steve. This seems pretty reasonable compared to some of the rumors out there. I never thought closing and rebuilding the entire Polynesian made any sense, too much lost revenue. Obviously the GCH is still the biggest wildcard since it appears even you don't for certain how they are going to improve it.

the only thing i've ever heard about the GCH is that it could possible be rebuilt, and the old one demolished.. but the practical side of me thinks that may be a little more blue sky that others would believe.

herc

No value or moderates. That property could pull in huge dollars with a deluxe or DVC resort.

No parks or entertainment! THis area is MK territory and a water park does not belong along with a DTD 2.0. They seem to be struggling with what they have @ DTD let alone developing another retail/entertainment problem.
Agree that DTD should be kept where it is. No additional shopping is needed in the monorail area.

What this are needs is a 5 star hotel (which Disney does not have). WDW is really missing that FLAGSHIP resort that the GF really never became and this is the perfect spot. Now if they have finally devised a method to succesfully develope this land then the Venitian would be a good concept from what I have seen in the concepts.
How can you say that the GF is not the Flagship hotel. I definitely think it is. What I don't agree with is the GF having convention space. This takes away from the flagship status IMO. That whole convention area can be made into more rooms or activity center.
I think having the Venetian, Mediterranean, or Persian built by the TTC would be wonderful. I have heard reports of the sinkhole, but feel that something can be done to alleviate that problem. Don't know if a DVC would be needed there, but seems to be enough land for an addition to the hotel section. I'm not the best believer in having DVC representation at every deluxe resort.

Just so I don't have to post again, I would think that tearing down the south wing at the CR would be ideal and build another identical tower as BLT. This would be the best way to get another DVC resort added (even though it is at the same resort). And hopefully they would be the Wilderness Junction DVC over at River Country. That would be plenty of DVC representation in the MK area.

Pioneer Hall

Agree that DTD should be kept where it is. No additional shopping is needed in the monorail area.

How can you say that the GF is not the Flagship hotel. I definitely think it is. What I don't agree with is the GF having convention space. This takes away from the flagship status IMO. That whole convention area can be made into more rooms or activity center.
I think having the Venetian, Mediterranean, or Persian built by the TTC would be wonderful. I have heard reports of the sinkhole, but feel that something can be done to alleviate that problem. Don't know if a DVC would be needed there, but seems to be enough land for an addition to the hotel section. I'm not the best believer in having DVC representation at every deluxe resort.

Just so I don't have to post again, I would think that tearing down the south wing at the CR would be ideal and build another identical tower as BLT. This would be the best way to get another DVC resort added (even though it is at the same resort). And hopefully they would be the Wilderness Junction DVC over at River Country. That would be plenty of DVC representation in the MK area.

I can't think of a top tier hotel that doesn't offer convention and event space.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can't think of a top tier hotel that doesn't offer convention and event space.
Outside of a few Disney resorts and roadside motels I am having a problem thinking of a single resort hotel that does not have at least some convention space. Considering GF's proximity and attachment to the wedding pavilion, convention space is a necessity.

Pioneer Hall

Outside of a few Disney resorts and roadside motels I am having a problem thinking of a single resort hotel that does not have at least some convention space. Considering GF's proximity and attachment to the wedding pavilion, convention space is a necessity.

Every top resort has it. So if any resort is going to be called flagship then I would expect banquet/convention space. Especially one that is used so frequently for weddings.

tl77

What about something like the Boardwalk Resort which is centrally located between all the other Epcot resorts, a combination Hotel, DVC, and nightlife/shopping/entertainment complex? Plus the original concept for Boardwalk called for a small rollercoaster and Ferris wheel

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
For upscale accomadations along the monorail line all Disney has to do is add a finite number of high end suites to meet demand.

It would be difficult for Disney to add an infinite number of suites.

Well played, DougK. :sohappy:

Although I'm sure that there are some that will assert that Disneyland or Tokyo management would have no problem whipping up an infinite number of suites, and that Walt's original plans also called for them. :lookaroun

janoimagine

Well played, DougK. :sohappy:

Although I'm sure that there are some that will assert that Disneyland or Tokyo management would have no problem whipping up an infinite number of suites, and that Walt's original plans also called for them. :lookaroun

Not to defend JT, but he was misquoted by Doug. JT said finite, fine-ite ... not infinite. It would be impossible for anyone to add an infinite number of anything. Just saying'. :D

Tom

Beta Return
B is not going to happen.

As for the Venetian not being built because of the land it was mostly because of budgets.

As far as what will be done with the GCH it is anybody’s guess. They have two main objectives in the GCH. Become ADA compliant and remove all remaining asbestos. I am sure more than just that will be done but too many different scenarios have been discussed to know what exactly they are going to decide to do.

I know on my site I threw out the idea of them building another Aulani where the Polynesian is but from everything I am told about the plans being put in place, that is not going to happen.

When I listed my "Option B" - I didn't mean a hybrid DVC/Resort would replace the Poly. I presume you thought that's what I meant when you dismissed it. Because it's a very likely option for the plot of land originally reserved for the Venetian....which is what I meant by my "Option B".

They can remedy some of the major issues of the GCH without tearing it down, or impacting guests for very long. Complying with current ADA will actually be more challenging than the asbestos abatement. Abatement is just a pain in the , since they'll have to close and quarantine the areas they're working in (i.e. close Ohana and Kona to do that quadrant).

Making current bathrooms become ADA compliant can be impossible, without making them larger, which means making something around them smaller, which may not be economical. It also means more elevators, more ramps, different door thresholds, and so on. ADA gets expensive.

Yes and no. Construction technology advances all the time. I have been on the engineering side for a mere 17 years have seen some fairly significant changes in just the residential market. One thing I have learned is you can build anything, anywhere, it just costs more. Eventually the value of that property and the cost to build on it are going to meet. That day might not be for another 20 years. However, that day might have happened 6 months ago.

This is exactly right. Besides, people toss around the term sinkhole too leisurely. Just because they lost to piles doesn't mean the entire area is missing bedrock. And it doesn't mean they can't distribute the load using another method. There are MANY ways to build on unsuitable soil....but, like you said, it's pricey.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Not to defend JT, but he was misquoted by Doug. JT said finite, fine-ite ... not infinite. It would be impossible for anyone to add an infinite number of anything. Just saying'. :D

I'm guessing Doug's point was that there is no way to not have a finite number of high end suites.

Right. Doug was pointing out that the word "finite" in jt's post was pointless, as there is no alternative to a "finite" number of suites.

toolsnspools

With the way WDW has been adding 10 times the hotel capacity for every extra bit of park capacity they build, it makes sense for them to shift in the direction of resorts with lots of additional amenities, like Aulani. They have been working hard to find ways to jam more and more people into the parks, it'd be nice to make better excuses for guests to spend an extra day at the hotel. Every high end resort being built in Orlando these days includes what amounts to a small water park that goes with it. A real flagship hotel on property would have to include the same. I'd love to see them use the Venetian space to build just such a resort.

MKeeler

If they add a hotel to the Venetian property, I could see it being the Disney Palace Resort - something like a hotel full of the theming found in the Disney Dream Suite. It would fill the hole they have in the pattern of hotels in the Magic Kingdom area (Grand Floridian - Main St.; Polynesian - Adventureland; Wilderness Lodge - Frontierland; Contemporary - Tomorrowland). Really just need a resort that fits into Fantasyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom