Height balloons, this time between TTC and Contemporary

RSoxNo1

How close to the Polynesian were these? I know it's on the wrong side of the TTC based on the thread title but room renovations to the Poly seem to be on the horizon.

herc

I like the prospects. Let's remember that lodgings near the MK tend to be theamed after a section of the MK.
GF = Main street
Poly = Adventure land
Contemporary = Tomorrow land (I think to far away for another tower)
Wilderness lodge and fort = Frontier land

The only lands missing are:
a small Liberty square (not probable, would look like the GF)
a small circus land (less likely, who wants a tent with monorail access)
or
The first major park expansion/rework in a very long time, Fantasy land.
(my bet is here, who would not love to stay in a castile)

Think of all the possibilities for a tallish resort.
:)king:)

Close, but not quite there.

In the original plans, the Asian Resort was going to be where the GF is now. This resort, as well as the Poly, would have been the background for Adventureland, not that you can see these from that land.

The Contemporary was definitely built in that location to be the backdrop of Tomorrowland. It can definitely be seen from that land.

I, for one, would love it if they seriously built the Venetian Resort where it originally was going, to the right of the TTC. I think WDW is in need of another deluxe resort and this would be a great location.

As for DVC, even though it appears to be coming to the Poly, I was hoping to get the Wilderness Junction Villas (River Country Villas) where the old RC is. That area is an eyesore. I cannot believe after all these years, TDO has not done any removal there. Even if they did demolotion one or two weeks a year, it would have been close to gone by now. Seeing the horrific conditions of that areas really hurts as I had wonderful experiences as a kid at River Country.

As another pointed out, MK deluxe resorts have the WORST transporation. One would think that they would have the best. I still cannot believe that there cannot be a bus (out of all the buses they own) that cannot do a simple loop between the Poly, GF, and Contemporary (and hopefully Venetian). When the park closes early, you are basically stuck at your resort unless you visit DTD. I would love to be able to spend some time at bars and lounges or even have a late dinner at all the wonderful restaurants, but if the monorail shuts down, it's time to call a cab. If people are wondering about who can ride, just show the resort key.

I am totally hoping it is a resort rather than some sort of alternate addition (i.e. waterpark, adventure park, or shopping area)...

My main concern is them breaking away from the MK mirror on this one. While a venetian, or asian resort would have been nice back in the day...i like how SSL and BL is set up to mirror the lands of MK. They are only missing one representation....Fantasyland.

I would love for them to do this....in a 16 century germanic fashion (cobblestone streets, carraiges, alps pool slide)...

Putting any other type of hotel in would detract from the theme they currently have in place.

Remember that the asian and venetian concepts are pre EPCOT. I know many people have issues with EPCOT as it is today. There was even an Simpsons episode about it (Simpsons reviews are never good). But most agree that they got the World Showcase correct. I totaly agree on the Germanic or French fashion of the new resort. Also note that each resort already has shopping, dinning, and lots of other stuff. So they don't need a shopping plaza there.

tikiman

Remember that the asian and venetian concepts are pre EPCOT. I know many people have issues with EPCOT as it is today. There was even an Simpsons episode about it (Simpsons reviews are never good). But most agree that they got the World Showcase correct. I totaly agree on the Germanic or French fashion of the new resort. Also note that each resort already has shopping, dinning, and lots of other stuff. So they don't need a shopping plaza there.

Did you know that World Showcase was going to go in where the TTC is now? I guess it is more where the parking lot is now.

world.jpg

Tom

Beta Return
I am totally hoping it is a resort rather than some sort of alternate addition (i.e. waterpark, adventure park, or shopping area)...

My main concern is them breaking away from the MK mirror on this one. While a venetian, or asian resort would have been nice back in the day...i like how SSL and BL is set up to mirror the lands of MK. They are only missing one representation....Fantasyland.

I would love for them to do this....in a 16 century germanic fashion (cobblestone streets, carraiges, alps pool slide)...

Putting any other type of hotel in would detract from the theme they currently have in place.

A FL themes resort would be cool, but only if done in a classical way, and not too fanciful. The resorts around 7SL are all tasteful and natural in appearance. Something silly would definitely ruin the horizon. A germanic look might work well.

Did you know that World Showcase was going to go in where the TTC is now? I guess it is more where the parking lot is now.

world.jpg

Indeed. Back when the plan was to throw in a "Disneyland" up at the north end, and focus on the real EPCOT (city). World Showcase was just going to be a mini Worlds Fair up in the "attraction" area of property, with EPCOT taking up the majority of the central area, north of 192.

Gregoryp73

A FL themes resort would be cool, but only if done in a classical way, and not too fanciful. The resorts around 7SL are all tasteful and natural in appearance. Something silly would definitely ruin the horizon. A germanic look might work well.

Agreed...if they could capture that old world European feel without being cartoony, it would be an excellent addition (and something they haven't done yet).

tl77

I thought the main reason they never built on the Venetian site (regardless of any soil problems) was simply because there was more need to build hotels around the other parks. If they do build on that site it'd be a pretty sure bet that it'll include a DVC, people went crazy for Bay Lake Tower simply because it was on the monorail loop, that's why they fast tracked the one at GF.

And a Germanic/Fantasyland theme sounds like a great idea, especially since they don't have any kind of European themed hotels, and with all the excitement over the fairy tale rooms at Port Orleans, a Fantasyland theme would be a definite hit.

Actually the scrapped FLE plans for Cinderella's Chateau would make a pretty good basis for a resort

D23_FLCindy2.jpg

JWG

I believe it's just testing for the new supersized Mickey Ear balloons. Only $99.95 or $79.95 with any room/ticket package.

Mike730

And a Germanic/Fantasyland theme sounds like a great idea, especially since they don't have any kind of European themed hotels, and with all the excitement over the fairy tale rooms at Port Orleans, a Fantasyland theme would be a definite hit.

This is an awesome idea, but theres a fine line between a badass fantasyland-esque hotel and a princess playground that alienates all but little girls.

And thanks for the update Amused To Death

RSoxNo1

I thought the main reason they never built on the Venetian site (regardless of any soil problems) was simply because there was more need to build hotels around the other parks. If they do build on that site it'd be a pretty sure bet that it'll include a DVC, people went crazy for Bay Lake Tower simply because it was on the monorail loop, that's why they fast tracked the one at GF.

Actually the scrapped FLE plans for Cinderella's Chateau would make a pretty good basis for a resort

D23_FLCindy2.jpg

Do you have the original high resolution image of the entire Fantasyland Expansion?

Kuhio

When I think of the basic DL "lands" interpreted in a tasteful and understated way, I think of the various themed dining rooms in Walt's restaurant in DLP.

If they could build a fantasy-themed resort that's well executed without looking like a garish knock-off of the Excalibur in Las Vegas, I'd be all for it.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Any possibility these balloons could be used for monorail line of site testing. I do recall they cleared out a lot of brush and trees between the TTC and the CR a while ago for just that purpose.

Amused to Death

Excellent. I wish board members were ever in a position to snap photos of them, but I know it's hard to always be ready for something like that.

I thought about grabbing a photo with my iPhone, but the balloons were really too far away from where I was located.

Any possibility these balloons could be used for monorail line of site testing. I do recall they cleared out a lot of brush and trees between the TTC and the CR a while ago for just that purpose.

No clue. The balloons were quite high up. Not as high as the Contemporary, but considerably higher than the Poly and Hotel del Coranado Grand Floridan.

Tom

Beta Return

Not based on their height. Besides, the monorails already exist - so there's no reason to test hypothetical sight lines.

They will have to add blocks to the monorail loops if they add the new resort, which will actually eliminate the need for those sight lines created by cutting down the trees. There would be hold points added before the new platform.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom