Heeley's in Disney

H20Babie

Original Poster
Just got my AllEars Newsletter.

For those of you that I've seen asking about Heeley's, check out this blurb from the newsletter:
"We just got back from Disney World today... please let your readers know that "Heelys" (skate sneakers) are not permitted in any amusement park in Florida. We were stopped by a Disney employee who informed us that we could be fined up to $150 by the sheriff!"
I'm actually surprised this wasn't done sooner.

wedway71

Its about damn time-lol

Im sorry but those things are annoying and dangerous.Im not some old 90 year old guy either whos hates kids.I have 2 kids myself but I cant stand those.I am a manager at Target and all day long they go skating around my store.My issue isnt with the kids-Hell they are kids so they want to get away with as much as they can-my issue is with the parents who let their kids do this.I have seen 4 kids in the last 6 months bust their butts in my store or run into other shoppers while the parents just watch or dont watch.
It will be a certainty that some kid will get hurt on a Heely at WDW and the parents will try to sue Disney.

PaisleyMF

That has been told almost for a year. And is for security reasons, the "heeleys are to be disabled or removed right at the entrance of the Park.

Peaches Magee

wow! really? Didnt know they were banned. I saw at least a dozen kids last week at MK "Heelying" their way around. They are very annoying, and I could easily see people getting hurt with them, for the kids wearing them and the people they will run into or trip. Good thing. :sohappy:

head mouse

Just got my AllEars Newsletter.

For those of you that I've seen asking about Heeley's, check out this blurb from the newsletter:
"We just got back from Disney World today... please let your readers know that "Heelys" (skate sneakers) are not permitted in any amusement park in Florida. We were stopped by a Disney employee who informed us that we could be fined up to $150 by the sheriff!"
I'm actually surprised this wasn't done sooner.

1) they can not fine you for your shoes.

2) this has already been discussed and when a phone call was made to WDW, and recorded and posted on here, WDW guest services informed me that as long as the park is not over crowed and the person wearing them was not just running people over, then Heeley's, ARE allowed.

WDWCPbrandon

I'm a CM and I see Heely's all the time in the park. I've never heard of being fined for wearing them though. The shoes are not permitted in the parks though, The subject has come up many times, and CM's are allowed to politely inform Guests that they should not skate while they are in the park. It's mainly for the Guests' safety. It is difficult catch every single person wearing the shoes but they are not permitted inside the parks and also at Downtown Disney.

crazydaveh

I don't see Orange County Sheriff's Deputies going after kids wearing the roller shoes at the parks.

I see them at all the parks, Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld. If they were banned, it has to be posted at the gate, and as of last weekend, it's not.

The roller shoes, in my opinion, are an attraction of their own! I like to watch the kids bust while rolling. It's quite enjoyable, especially when mom says, "I told you so."

Of course I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but it's kind of Adam Sandler funny to see them wipe out.

CleveRocks

this has already been discussed and when a phone call was made to WDW, and recorded and posted on here, WDW guest services informed me that as long as the park is not over crowed and the person wearing them was not just running people over, then Heeley's, ARE allowed.
The person you spoke with was misinformed. Heelys and all forms of roller skates are NOT permitted inside WDW parks, as well as most public areas of the WDW resorts. FACT.

The HUGE problem is that there are no signs and no mention of this in any literature. On top of that, there is dreadfully little enforcement.

Even if I think parents are using terrible judgment in allowing their kids to wear Heelys in crowded places such as WDW theme parks, I can't blame them for "breaking the rules" because Disney doesn't publicize the rule.

I see the downside of Heelys. My wife is a pediatrician. Unfortunately, Heelys injuries fund a huge portion of our WDW trips, if you know what I mean.

DisneyMusician2

I still maintain that the penalty for wearing the shoes in the parks should be a good hip check, hopefully into a concrete wall....If you can't follow the rules, you don't deserve to go unscathed.

bhg469

I almost got my wish the other day when a kid missed me by inches. Not that i would have cause bodily harm but his parent would have gotten an earfull.

rshell68

Okay, here is my question...if someone wearing these stupid shoes or someone who doesn't know how to drive one of those EVC's runs me over can I file charges against them for assault or something?

Maleficentesq

Okay, here is my question...if someone wearing these stupid shoes or someone who doesn't know how to drive one of those EVC's runs me over can I file charges against them for assault or something?

I love people like you - it keeps people like me in business!!! :ROFLOL:

banimall

I've been down there dozens of times and have seen the kids on Heely's and haven't witnessed anyone getting run over. You can only go maybe a few feet and not very fast. Does anyone have any stories to share of getting run over by a kid on Heely's?

bhg469

I've been down there dozens of times and have seen the kids on Heely's and haven't witnessed anyone getting run over. You can only go maybe a few feet and not very fast. Does anyone have any stories to share of getting run over by a kid on Heely's?

I have seen people get hit, and have almost been hit by some kid who didn't watch where he was going.

Cole'sMom

Heelys are big in my area of MI. I see kids everyday on those things. One kid wasn't looking where he was going and ran into a shelf at Meijer-I laughed soooo hard! I cannot stand the things. If they are not allowed at WDW, I have never seen a child get asked to stop rolling on them. I will never buy those for my son-they are a waste of money and highly annoying. I'm sure by the time he's 10, there will be the new fad. I won't buy something for him if I don't like it-they are pointless. If he wants rollerblades and wants to use them properly to exercise at a metropark, fine. I am all about physical fitness.

typhoonguy

There's a great security CM at the pedestrian entrance to D/MGM that checks shoes that appear to be Heeleys. I think his name is Justin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom