Hearing news of a monorail crash today.

orky8

Not to get too far off topic but as for a solution to not having to rely on the monorails, I've always thought they should build a parking garage to the west of MK. They could run the trams along the path by the lake. Then the Express and Epcot monorail lines could be combined to create a MK/Epcot line. This way monorails are still there but not relied on nearly as heavily, they would still provide transportation to/from the resorts and would connect MK to Epcot but wouldn't be required to transport the tens of thousand of guests who visit MK everyday.

100% agree.

OK, now a little dreaming. I'd also add DHS and AK onto the line. One line to connect all four parks quickly and easily, the way a normal transit system works. Make the Epcot/HS platforms double sided (again, like normal transit systems) so you can go in either direction. Finally, maybe move the Epcot station to the international gateway so it can serve the Epcot resorts. Now all the major Deluxe resorts are on the monorail line, and the load is still probably less than today - still need to connect AKL, maybe extend to there from AK.

Oh, but Disney is a corporation and only out for money. Require a resort stay or parkhopper to use the monorail or pay $1 (or something). Nightly rates at AKL and Epcot resorts could now be on par with the MK resorts.

ABQ

Yikes! Couldn't they have moved this backstage? Looks terrible...
My though is they kept it hidden in the TTC bay all day, which was actually out of sight of most guests and moved it under cover of darkness. Otherwise, they would have had to take it through each stop, TTC, Poly, GF and MK in broad daylight, I think they chose the lesser of too evils.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not for anything, I'm not going to harping on Disney for leaving Coral out there all day. It was an accident that involved a multi-million dollar piece of equipment that took place in public view. There has to be a first responder response and assessment, an accident and or criminal investigation, interviews, photos, etc. Not even to mention a inspection of the beam way to make sure there was no structural damage. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum and takes time. The fact that it was cleared and cleaned up by dusk actually seems pretty quick.

The only issue with your summary was that the Coral was moved TO the TTC and left there, The accident took place elsewhere.

DisneyFans4Life

My though is they kept it hidden in the TTC bay all day, which was actually out of sight of most guests and moved it under cover of darkness. Otherwise, they would have had to take it through each stop, TTC, Poly, GF and MK in broad daylight, I think they chose the lesser of too evils.
The only other thing they could have done would be to move it well after the guests leave in the early morning hours.

s8film40

The only issue with your summary was that the Coral was moved TO the TTC and left there, The accident took place elsewhere.
I'm not one to shy away from criticizing Disney but to give them the benefit of the doubt, I think moving it to TTC removing loose debris and covering the cab made sense so that pieces aren't falling on guests and cars on it's way back to the shop.

Horizons1

I remember a time when every hiccup, quirk, interruption, or breakdown wasn't instantly tweeted. Everything looks better in the past when you didn't know it was happening.
Yep. Spoken like a true Disney Brand Advocate. Can't let the bad news get out! Cause surely something as minor as a monorail crashing isn't important! Let's all talk about buying more frozen merch! C'mon guys! Disney rules!

s8film40

100% agree.

OK, now a little dreaming. I'd also add DHS and AK onto the line. One line to connect all four parks quickly and easily, the way a normal transit system works. Make the Epcot/HS platforms double sided (again, like normal transit systems) so you can go in either direction. Finally, maybe move the Epcot station to the international gateway so it can serve the Epcot resorts. Now all the major Deluxe resorts are on the monorail line, and the load is still probably less than today - still need to connect AKL, maybe extend to there from AK.

Oh, but Disney is a corporation and only out for money. Require a resort stay or parkhopper to use the monorail or pay $1 (or something). Nightly rates at AKL and Epcot resorts could now be on par with the MK resorts.
Yeah I think we're on the same page. I made this several years ago.
KpuOV.jpg

Monorail_Red_77

The denial is from Disney management. Just another brainwashing technique for those cast members.

CM Talking to a guest at TTC station when Disney Management walks up.

CM: "It was horrible, parts everywhere."
DISNEY MGMT to CM: "Hey Frank, look into this pin. Ziiiing (bright flash). No what you saw was moonlight bouncing off swamp gas on seven seas lagoon. Now go give a sticker to that kid over there."
Kid Guest: "Hey Mister what happened to that monorail over there?"
CM: "The monorails are down for testing right now. Here's a sticker little fella."

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yeah I think we're on the same page. I made this several years ago.
KpuOV.jpg

very nice... I think that would be a good design.

one thing that concerns me since the last issue is being so high in the air all the time and if there is an emergency how slow it could be to evac, etc. I don't see why the monorail couldn't ride on the ground (which would save money I would assume too?) in places where it could (like between parks then it follows roads, etc.)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not one to shy away from criticizing Disney but to give them the benefit of the doubt, I think moving it to TTC removing loose debris and covering the cab made sense so that pieces aren't falling on guests and cars on it's way back to the shop.

Think about what you just wrote, Is there anyplace MORE likely than the TTC to have loose debris potentially fall on a guest - The monorail is just sitting over an area where practically every guest passes through. Yes moving it to a more accessible location made sense but the TTC!!!! I seriously wonder who makes the decisions at times like this.

s8film40

Think about what you just wrote, Is there anyplace MORE likely than the TTC to have loose debris potentially fall on a guest - The monorail is just sitting over an area where practically every guest passes through. Yes moving it to a more accessible location made sense but the TTC!!!! I seriously wonder who makes the decisions at times like this.
I'm talking about the station. They moved it to the station took the loose debris off and covered it with the tarps you see in those videos and photos. It's easier and safer to do that there so they don't have to use lifts to access it.

raven

Original Poster
They are told... it's covered in the first day of training. But when you have 70 000 employees, and something happens, slip ups occur. Those very employees likely thought they were doing the right thing, or what they had been trained to do. Not everyone acts rationally when things go wrong.
Exactly my point. Disney can't control certain human behaviors with their CMs but they keep trying.
@raven, it might help avoid confusion - especially if this thread gets bumped In the future - if you added the date to the thread title.

Because there are so many monorail crashes at WDW now that the post might get confused? LOL! The date and time are listed below each individual post.

Which is exactly when the TEST should've taken place.

GrumpyFan

Holy Crap - they just LEFT Coral at the TTC for a whole DAY!!!!, Does something called 'Show' even exist in the keys to the kingdom today or has it been replaced by some other value.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The "show" did go on yesterday, but operations were impacted.
So, in some sense, it could be argued that they preserved the "Show" by not allowing an ugly incident to be paraded by the guests contained the damage by preventing a bunch of pictures to flood social media.

Monorail_Red_77

When I was there and something similar happened it was not the tow bar itself that broke, but the "clamp" on the train itself failed and opened back up which released the tow bar, which caused the tractor to accelerate into the cab (the train was being pushed). No idea if that's what happened today but it's happened before.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World_Monorail_System#/media/File:WDW-Monorail-Work-Tractor-3.jpg

That's a pretty good spot to be on the tow tractor, for the tow operator. In case of accident like we are talking about right now. Good visuals and safe distance away from "pinch points". Or in this case, smash points. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom