Heard anything more about the SM rehab??

DisneyDellsDude

Anyone have an idea whos providing the tracks?
Vekoma, AMEC?
B&M, Intamin AG? (ok thoses 2 are just wishful thinking)

Someone earlier in the thread said not Vekoma. Otherwise, I don't know.
All I do know is that the longer it's down, the better it will be once it returns.:sohappy:

kc1296426

Disney has such a good relationship with Vekoma, almost all the designs that are coaster related involved something to do with that company. And I could only wish a Disney B&M ride, that would be so killer.

Pete C

I love B&M like the next coaster-fan, but I'm sorry Intamin takes them out to the woodshed. Intamin's designs are more forceful, have more airtime, and are more interesting than the cookie-cutter designs B&M puts out. There is just no B&M answer for El Toro, Superman @ SFNE, Maverick, and the countless other incredible designs around the world. Space Mountain with Intamin at the helm would be just crazy, but we already know the track design isn't changing. Also, Intamin's safety record is questionable. Unfortunately, Vekoma isn't even in the same galaxy as either of these companies.

RiversideBunny

Regardless of which company does the design, this seems like a different type of project in that it has to be done inside an existing building, using an existing load area, and with an existing concept for the riders.

It's not as open as designing a new roller coaster from scratch.

:)

the-reason14

So its supposedly suppose to be down for like a year and some months? Thats like all of 09 and a part of 010? Wow, Im not going to be going to WDW again until 010 if thats the case. Ima have to try and sqeeze in some more mini trips this year after my July one, because I sure as hell aint going to WDW if SM is close.

That sounds like along time for a refurb where they're not suppose to gut it. It sounds like they want to completely redo it with all that time. If they do that, Ill see how the redo turns out and if its short and crappy kinda like Rockincoaster and completely different. My AP for WDW will have experied indefinately.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

As you can tell from my user name, I am a huge Intamin fan! (Superman at Six Flags New England) I think an Intamin SM would be pretty intense and would have some great forces. So stupid question time, who manufactured the current track of SM.

RiversideBunny

So its supposedly suppose to be down for like a year and some months? Thats like all of 09 and a part of 010? Wow, Im not going to be going to WDW again until 010 if thats the case. ...

Don't be so quick to cancel your trips.
Keep in mind that they will probably keep Carousel of Progress open the whole time that SM is down.
:)

Lee

Adventurer
That sounds like along time for a refurb where they're not suppose to gut it. It sounds like they want to completely redo it with all that time. If they do that, Ill see how the redo turns out and if its short and crappy kinda like Rockincoaster and completely different. My AP for WDW will have experied indefinately.

It won't be "gutted"....but close.

And it'll be nothing at all like RnRC. It'll be the same ride...only much better.

So stupid question time, who manufactured the current track of SM.
It's a WDI design, fabricated by an independent contractor. None of the current major coaster builders were involved.

Fuzz

Don't know if anyone has seen space mountain in disneyland paris, but I would like if they took a similar approach to SM in MK. I would not bring the theme (it wouldn't fit anyways in tomorrow land I believe) from disneyland paris nor would I bring the side by side seating. If they could bring the same RnRC style launch up a hill only bring the launch inside the mountain with single seating, I believe that would be an awesome "plus" to the ride.

benji

I'm ok with Disney keeping the same lay out of Space Mounain. I just hope it's a lot darker. I recently visited Space Moutain and you could see the ride track all around you. I remember when I was a kid the ride was a lot darker and all you could see was stars. Most of the light comes from the loading station which I think will be competely covered up after the rehab. I hope it's going to be a good rehab because Disney has some cool coasters to compete with next year, like Manta at Sea World and Rock-it at Univsal Studios.

Pete C

I'm ok with Disney keeping the same lay out of Space Mounain. I just hope it's a lot darker. I recently visited Space Moutain and you could see the ride track all around you. I remember when I was a kid the ride was a lot darker and all you could see was stars. Most of the light comes from the loading station which I think will be competely covered up after the rehab. I hope it's going to be a good rehab because Disney has some cool coasters to compete with next year, like Manta at Sea World and Rock-it at Univsal Studios.

This is all but confirmed. They are sealing up the queue so there will no longer be any light leakage into the ride space.

Pete C

Don't know if anyone has seen space mountain in disneyland paris, but I would like if they took a similar approach to SM in MK. I would not bring the theme (it wouldn't fit anyways in tomorrow land I believe) from disneyland paris nor would I bring the side by side seating. If they could bring the same RnRC style launch up a hill only bring the launch inside the mountain with single seating, I believe that would be an awesome "plus" to the ride.

Love the idea of a launch into space instead of a lift. We know the rest of the layout is basically the same, though, so I don't know how they would integrate that and have it not impact the existing layout. Maybe slow it back down right at the top...I don't know.

Fuzz

As far as integrating the launch into the current ride, you can keep the tunnel part. Just turn that into a pre launch type event and stop the ride vehicle at the bottom of the current lift hill. Do a RnRC style launch, just not as fast due to confines of the track. If I remember correctly on the current SM you go up the lift hill, down slightly to a flat spot then a U turn and the rest of the ride. That slight down hill U-turn area could be turned into a banked U-turn, slowing the ride vehicle down and continuing on with the current layout. Well at least it work in my head.

jt04

Love the idea of a launch into space instead of a lift. We know the rest of the layout is basically the same, though, so I don't know how they would integrate that and have it not impact the existing layout. Maybe slow it back down right at the top...I don't know.
And it wouldn't even need to be an extreme launch like RnRC, just a couple g's would do the trick and it would also really help keep the queue moving. Can't wait for this rehab/refurb/plussing :D

bjunderwood

I am going down in early January, and have come to accept that Space Mountain will probably be down. What are the odds that they close down Splash Mountain for its yearly refurb? Usually this occurs in January, and I will be mighty unhappy if two of the three mountains are down for my trip.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Space down or not, Splash still needs its TLC. The less crowded times are the times to do it. Kind of like EPCOT '96 when you had Energy and Motion both closed at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom