Heard anything more about the SM rehab??

mickeymouse090

Original Poster
I know a lot of posts have been out on Space Mountain closing in January 2009 for a major rehab, but I was wondering if anyone has heard when in January this may happen?

I have a trip planned in January and I am hoping that it won't be closed down for my entire trip there.

Just thought I would ask if anyone has heard anything new on the rehab & if I missed something in the other posts about it I apologize for posting this again!

Thanks to all the many Disney Lovers out there! :wave:

The rumors going around is that its going down in January 09 like you said. I dont think there is a specific date in that month however.

Im going down in November and will be riding it quite a bit as it will be the last time we see it before the rehab

mickeymouse090

Original Poster
Well i also heard that it could go ahead as early as November. :confused:

I had heard November or January the first time the rehab was brought up, but then I saw another post that said January 2009. I figured it was too soon to know exactly when they are shooting for, but I am hoping we won't miss out on it when we go. We are hoping since we are arriving fairly early into the month right after the holiday crowds that it might still be open, at least for part of our trip. :shrug: Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

darrin933

O.K. please dont bash me on this. My friend is a welding inspector for a engineering firm in Orlando that does alot of inspection work at the parks. he told my his company was awarded the contract for the inspection of the track replacement at sm that has over 5000 weld inspections he has to perform. he said there was a meeting planned for the end of this week to go over the project with all the parties involved to set the time schedule. Be easy on me O.K.

RiversideBunny

O.K. please dont bash me on this. My friend is a welding inspector for a engineering firm in Orlando that does alot of inspection work at the parks. he told my his company was awarded the contract for the inspection of the track replacement at sm that has over 5000 weld inspections he has to perform. he said there was a meeting planned for the end of this week to go over the project with all the parties involved to set the time schedule. Be easy on me O.K.

That would sort of say that they are not planning to replace the current track system with a smoother one like RocknRoller Coaster uses.

IMHO
:)

Lee

Adventurer
Unless something has changed, SM will go down somewhere between the 1st and 9th of January 09.

That would sort of say that they are not planning to replace the current track system with a smoother one like RocknRoller Coaster uses.
The track is being replaced, but not with Vekoma track.

mickeymouse090

Original Poster

Never...just promise if you find something out since you are sort of on the "inside track" that you won't keep it from us! :animwink:

mickeymouse090

Original Poster
Unless something has changed, SM will go down somewhere between the 1st and 9th of January 09.

The track is being replaced, but not with Vekoma track.

Well for my sake lets hope it is January 9th since I will be getting to The World on the 8th!! I will have a half day once we get there to ride SM about 20 times...lol...:ROFLOL:

darrin933

Never...just promise if you find something out since you are sort of on the "inside track" that you won't keep it from us! :animwink:
When I here something I will let you know, I live outside of Cleveland and he moved down there a couple years ago. I talk to him once a week or so, But I will see him when I check into the poly July 2-6 and we go hang out with Walt at the Tambu Lounge!

mickeymouse090

Original Poster
When I here something I will let you know, I live outside of Cleveland and he moved down there a couple years ago. I talk to him once a week or so, But I will see him when I check into the poly July 2-6 and we go hang out with Walt at the Tambu Lounge!

Fantastic! Tell Walt I said Hi!! :lol:

redkoala245

All I know is SM is refurbishing in 2009.
One question… Is SM going to be closed February 2009 for the refurb?
That is when I am visiting.

mickeymouse090

Original Poster

I have heard it is going to be down for the entire year! True or not I don't know, but this is why I was hoping it wasn't going down right at the start of January when I get there. One final hurrah! :)

DisneyGigi

SM twenty times!
Ouch...I feel sorry for your back and neck.
:lol:

We rode it about 15-20 times our last trip and my neck knew it! :ROFLOL:I actually had to stop riding and the kids kept it up because there was no wait for it.
Rock n Rollercoaster is smooth??

Smoother than a baby's bottom, compared to the clickety-clack bumpiness of the current SM track.

SM really needs to be smooth because the idea is that the rider is zooming through space and not taking a trip on a railroad.

:)
I agree!
I think RnRC is very smooth, especially compared to SM. I can ride it over and over again with out killing my neck.I love Space but I would not complain if it were a bit smoother.
I am really glad we will get to ride it again before the refurn though for old time's sake.

Lee

Adventurer
99.9% positive that SM will be down in Feb. The only way it would be open is if something big happens to push back the refurb...and it would have to be VERY big.
Expect downtime to last from January 09 through (likely) March 2010.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom