Have you seen Song of the south in its entirety

Have you watched song of the south in its entirety

• Total voters

ppete1975

Original Poster
That is pretty sad. He died penniless. Sounds like he was an alcoholic too.
Thats not the worst part
His body was unclaimed and was donated to the University of California, Los Angelesmedical school. When Walt Disney Productions, which had been quietly paying many of his medical expenses, discovered this, they offered to purchase his remains and pay for the burial. Instead, it was done by the Actors' Fund of America (which had also aided Edwards) and the Motion Picture and Television Relief Fund. Disney paid for his grave marker

ppete1975

Original Poster
I've seen the movie, I can certainly see how people are offended by parts of it. The offensive parts have long ago been removed from the ride. I am not in favor of removing history, it is worth taking someone younger than me (I'm old) and using the movie to teach them about the past. HBO is now "banning" Gone with the Wind.
Gone with the wind is back with a disclaimer

Last edited by a moderator:

cookiee_munster

It was heavily promoted on VHS here in the UK in 90s when I was a kid and I have a copy of it, don't recall watching it very much though.

Same, got my VHS knocking about somewhere. seen it a couple of times, but more familiar with the zip a dee doo dah scene thanks to it being on the Disney sing along VHS releases in the 90's

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
No but I'd like to so I can really see what about it is really any worse than anything else I've seen portrayed on TV and in movies.
The closest I've come is a sing along VHS I had as a child with Zip a dee doo dah.

John park hopper

Have ridden Splash Mountain many times and never gave the theme a thought heck the ride doesn't last that long to give it an in-depth analysis. With all the talk I recently down loaded it and watched

Mainahman

No but I'd like to so I can really see what about it is really any worse than anything else I've seen portrayed on TV and in movies.
The closest I've come is a sing along VHS I had as a child with Zip a dee doo dah.
I found it online last night and watched it on my phone.

Sure it shows southern plantations. I live in the south now, those are everywhere. Ive visited Andrew Jacksons home actually, and drive by it often when i go to get fish supplies. I thought the movie for its time was well done. cute characters, and a good story line. Again, i get why people would consider it taboo etc, and i can totally see that, but you cant get past the songs etc. Disney has clearly distanced themselves from it, likely with good reason. Times change for sure, and so will the parks. Ill miss it, ill say my goodbyes in august. It gives me another retro attraction to try and collect items from.

JIMINYCR

Yes. Saw it when it was shown in our local movie theater when I was a child. Have seen it again several times over the years. Also had a couple of Song of the South books and comics featuring Uncle Remus stories. For a good read and understanding of the furor that is being discussed....
51oRo2qSCXL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Phonedave

The Uncle Remus stories are available, history is not being projected by Splash Mountain. That's just a theme park ride. The stories still exist and available to all.

I read the Uncle Remus stories as a young kid. Not the Disney version, the actual stories. I have no idea how I got them - I also remember having a whole bunch of Paul Bunyan stories as well.

I never though of them as anything more than stories about animals. I do remember not really knowing what a tar baby was, and had to figure it out as I went along. I also thought the idea that after Br'er Rabbit got his arms and legs stuck, he somehow thought it was a good idea to hit the tar baby with is head as being pretty stupid on the part of Br'er Rabbit. Strange what you take away from a book 40 some odd years later.

TP2000

I bought a DVD of it at Tokyo Disneyland, and then learned it didn't work in my DVD player when I got home. 🤣

But I do still have it on VHS. I think I've seen it twice many years ago when babysitting young family members. I thought it was a cute movie. Not one of Disney's best works, but it was cute.

The thing I remember most about the movie is the actor who sang Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah sang it beautifully, and it's a song that sounds much better in the movie than the over-processed version they have in the ride.

Deranged Hermit

You must live outside the US as it was never release in the US and hasn't been in any theater in the US since 1986.
Copies were/are pretty easy to come by as I'm sure you know. I could have one I five minutes if I wanted to.
But, again, I'm sure you already know that but were just trying to prove some kind of point.

thomas998

Frankly I only remember it as a double feature with the Aristicats and just hoping it would hurry and end so I could see the cats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbiem

In the uk we used to have a show called disney time on the bbc, basically a celebrity did linking narration for a series of disney clips. Anyone of my age would remember it as classic bank holiday programming. Clips from song of the south, especially zip a dee doo dah were often shown but I guess these were censored because i don’t remember the tar baby

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom