Have we done this video, yet? Fight Breaks Out at Walt Disney World Ferry

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's really sad, but I bet it happens more and more. With the high cost of everything and not everything open, the tension has got to be high to just be able to ride a certain attraction. I can see a person saying" I paid thousands for this vacation and we are going to get in the line and ride this (even if they cut the line). I can see tempers rising due to all the little and big things that are disney right now. It's really a sad situation, but human behavior, IMO, that has been pushed too far for some personality types.

We started going to disney in the "dark ages" before any fast passes. Everyone waited in the same line. We all got hot, tired, and thirsty, but we all were equal in the waiting game. I can't remember ever seeing fights, arguments, or confrontations back then. Now everything is scheduled and costs so much more, and people want to get the "value"for their money, whatever it takes. Sad.

Disney is not responsible for this sort of behaviour. One can blame the company for many things, but not for violent guests.
The reality is that Minnesota is right…

the comparative cost has always manifested itself to varying degrees of emotional outbursts all over the spectrum. There is a loose correlation between price, crowds and incidents.

this is one of those times where no one has to believe me…no problem. But I’m still correct

LittleBuford

the comparative cost has always manifested itself to varying degrees of emotional outbursts all over the spectrum. There is a loose correlation between price, crowds and incidents.

this is one of those times where no one has to believe me…no problem. But I’m still correct
I completely disagree. Visiting Disney is a choice, not a necessity. Being frustrated at costs, crowds, and wait times—all things that people should know about before going—is no excuse for violent behaviour.

dreday3

We saw a fight in Magic Kingdom back in 2000. We were all trying to leave after fireworks, just moving slowly in a herd and this hysterical lady pushing her kid in a stroller was screaming that we've got to move, let's go, and started ramming people with the stroller. Some guy turned around and started yelling, her husband then started yelling at him, they were both all puffed up and we just slowly walked backwards into the distance.... 😂

Beacon Joe

Original Poster

I'm with you on that. Personal example- we ended up with a courtesy fast pass after sitting on a broken down ride and having to get evac'd. This made one woman in particular in the standby line exceptionally mad (like one step shy of foaming at the mouth and yelling all sorts of derogatory stuff about how we're faking being disabled) when we used this fast pass. I briefly thought about explaining to her the joys of sitting on a broken down ride, but decided, no, I will smirk and strut onto the ride and let her stew all day. Probably worked herself into an aneurysm. Pretty sure had we encountered her on any form of resort transport, she would have gotten physical. People are crazy and WDW for all its fun is exceptionally stressful when it comes to comparative costs and perception.

The Mrs

It's still the responsibility of the participants to control how they react. No matter how frustrated you are there's no reason to throw a punch. It's even worse because children were present. The number one thing that adults are responsible for in the presence of children is modeling appropriate behavior. These people are ridiculous. Imagine how they act during a crisis or an emergency when they have so little self control. It's indefensible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's still the responsibility of the participants to control how they react. No matter how frustrated you are there's no reason to throw a punch. It's even worse because children were present. The number one thing that adults are responsible for in the presence of children is modeling appropriate behavior. These people are ridiculous. Imagine how they act during a crisis or an emergency when they have so little self control. It's indefensible.
Nobody is disputing that. Of condoning this.

in the ideal - no Disney fault - world we tend to peddle…there would never be any bad behavior. Ever.

but yet there is…and in most cases…there are some things to consider

I’m curious…does anyone know what time of day this was?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm with you on that. Personal example- we ended up with a courtesy fast pass after sitting on a broken down ride and having to get evac'd. This made one woman in particular in the standby line exceptionally mad (like one step shy of foaming at the mouth and yelling all sorts of derogatory stuff about how we're faking being disabled) when we used this fast pass. I briefly thought about explaining to her the joys of sitting on a broken down ride, but decided, no, I will smirk and strut onto the ride and let her stew all day. Probably worked herself into an aneurysm. Pretty sure had we encountered her on any form of resort transport, she would have gotten physical. People are crazy and WDW for all its fun is exceptionally stressful when it comes to comparative costs and perception.
I had 3..4…maybe 5? Sets of comp passes last week due to ticket issues and a walk off runaway railway…

…and even in low crowds I got some sneers and stares.

here in lalaland…where we talk about the “value” of boo bash…we tend to gloss that it is a financial stretch for a large percentage of people any given day…
It’s not “luxury” as is dreamed about on the pillow

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I completely disagree. Visiting Disney is a choice, not a necessity. Being frustrated at costs, crowds, and wait times—all things that people should know about before going—is no excuse for violent behaviour.
I’m not basing it on personal opinion. It’s something that was noticed based on data…although I admit dated data.

incidents rose when crowds were high AND/OR price increases were recent.

so basically…all the time now.

i believe the number of incidents in Disneyland went up as well the last few years prior to Vid as the Bobs conducted: “operation price correction”.

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
I’m curious…does anyone know what time of day this was?

The video seems to have been posted late last night. I assume possibly post fireworks though the ferry seems too uncrowded for that. Definitely late enough for people to be past the point of frazzled nerves and frustration. IIRC the WDW bus fights and other incidents that were posted over the past 10-15 years all took place at or just after park closing.

I swear most adults that go there should take a vacation tip from me and make sure to leave the park to nap or otherwise decompress for a couple hours in the mid afternoon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The video seems to have been posted late last night. I assume possibly post fireworks though the ferry seems too uncrowded for that. Definitely late enough for people to be past the point of frazzled nerves and frustration. IIRC the WDW bus fights and other incidents that were posted over the past 10-15 years all took place at or just after park closing.

I swear most adults that go there should take a vacation tip from me and make sure to leave the park to nap or otherwise decompress for a couple hours in the mid afternoon.
They can’t…they’re often stressed about the cost…even subliminally.

incidents at hotel check ins in the olden days used to be frequent as well…especially the Moderates…and “you know how much I’m paying?” Damn near always made an appearance.

you know how else to diffuse the tension?

don’t close at 9 Pm on a Saturday night during a holiday weekend…

close at 12 as was the norm for 40 years and it “simmers down” for most.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
assuming someones wealth by the clothes they wear... I dress like im a minimum wage highschooler at age 35.. but I make good money
I often can be seen rocking running attire on zooms. But I do still wear some sort of pants👍🏻
Yea, I know, stereotyping when all they were doing is having a fist fight on a ferry in WDW. How could I have been so insensitive. They were showing massive amounts of class. My bad!
But you dodged copping to the 1965 stereotype stance nonetheless.

ImperfectPixie

I would argue that we've been seeing increasing rates of adults not knowing how to behave themselves...and not just at WDW.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
So let's see. Disney has introduced a level of stress with a vacation that most people go on vacation to escape. And while running towards that stress combined with the increased cost of a Disney vacation - and the pressure of micro-managing everything about the vacation - down to probably the bathroom breaks for some - and we're somehow surprised when people snap?

Wait 'til they start screaming at the Genie app.

dreday3

I think some of you are taking this to a way too deep of level.

Sometimes people just get into fights and for no good reason at all. Do none of you take public transportation in a city? Have you ever been in a bar or at a concert? It happens. And it happens with people from ALL walks of life.
Doesn't make it right, but my goodness, it's not a strange, new phenomena. Disney isn't immune to this kind of stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom