Haunted Mansion

Phroobar

I was just teasing. Christopher Nolan is a director who champions theatrical moviegoing with an almost religious-like passion.
Sure. That is where he makes money.
Personally, if he was going to do a historical drama, I would like to see him do a biography on Philo Farmsworth the inventor of television. There is some good intrigue regarding RCA and the Russians.

TP2000

Should we be worried that very, very few people are talking about this movie? Example #47: This thread hasn't had a post in it for 10 days but the movie comes out in just three weeks. Does anyone care? :oops:

I wonder how worried Disney execs are that Barbie seems to be stealing all the box office buzz for July?

Supreme Leader

Should we be worried that very, very few people are talking about this movie? Example #47: This thread hasn't had a post in it for 10 days but the movie comes out in just three weeks. Does anyone care? :oops:

I wonder how worried Disney execs are that Barbie seems to be stealing all the box office buzz for July?

I mean the movie will flop regardless lol
It'll probably find new life on Disney+ when they put it on the service for Halloween time. They originally had The Marvels set for the July slot so they're probably happy that they moved Haunted Mansion to this spot.

Smugpugmug

I'm being 100% honest when I say that I forgot this was even coming out, let alone in a few weeks. Unsure if it being released so close to Barbie is a great idea either (unless there isn't any major overlay in those audiences).

LittleBuford

I for one am looking forward to it.

CaptainMickey

October release would have been better when the kids (and adults) are fired up for Halloween and anything spooky. This looks like it would be a perfect "Not so scary" October/Halloween movie option. It doesn't look like it will make it on the summer popcorn radar, especially up against Barbie. The first Haunted Mansion movie with Eddie Murphy was a big let down. Hope this one is better. It will become a perennial Halloween movie on D+ either way.

I have to say the Tower of Terror Movie with Kirsten Dunst and Steve Guttenberg is a Halloween must. It's really cute for what it was. A great backstory of ToT. For some reason I don't think it was even on D+. Better save that DVD!
Tower_of_Terror.png

Smugpugmug

Barbie will bury it.
That's what I think too and is why it should've been pushed back to at least September. I'm super excited for Barbie (already have my tickets) whereas I don't have any interest in a Haunted Mansion movie. If it gets good reviews, I may check it out.

Phroobar

That's what I think too and is why it should've been pushed back to at least September. I'm super excited for Barbie (already have my tickets) whereas I don't have any interest in a Haunted Mansion movie. If it gets good reviews, I may check it out.
If it was pushed to October, it would get killed by Five Nights at Freddy's.

erasure fan1

While a popular video game with the Youtube gamer community, I wonder if FNAF really has broad appeal for the general public.
It probably doesn't. But It's most likely going to make a lot of money. The reported budget is something like only 40mil. I know my kids like fnaf and will be there opening weekend.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It probably doesn't. But It's most likely going to make a lot of money. The reported budget is something like only 40mil. I know my kids like fnaf and will be there opening weekend.
Well "lots of money" then is relative as compared to its budget. My guess is around $250M-$275M global (being conservative), which would make it the highest grossing Blumhouse film.

TP2000

I for one am looking forward to it.

Hey, at least we got some folks posting in this thread about this big budget $150 Million summer movie based on a wildly popular pop culture icon like The Haunted Mansion that no one had been talking about until just now when I kicked this thread in the....

Things are really hopping around here now! 👻

Otherwise, I agree with the others here. This movie should have never been budgeted over $80 Million and it should have been released in mid September, two weeks after Labor Day once all the kids were back in school but had gotten their new school routine down and could go out on a weekend when people started putting up their Halloween decorations 3 weeks too early. And then let it run for six lucrative weeks through Halloween as a family-friendly modestly spooky movie for that giant American demographic who can't stomach, or allow their children to see, the ultra-gore horror movies that come out in the Fall.

But then, what do I know? ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh, now realized theatrical profit matters?

And why the stray shot at Blumhouse?
Where did I talk about “profit” in my post? I was commenting on another posters use of “lots of money” about a movie with an apparent limited audience base.

Also I’m not taking a shot at Blumhouse, I like lots of their stuff and even like FNAF. I just don’t think it’s going to have a huge box office, but hopefully it’ll hit what I projected and be extra profitable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom