Haunted Mansion

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Its third only due to Barbie and Oppenheimer. I think it has to lose a bit before we say it needs to get legs. It has not even lost its momentum yet. It opened on Tuesday and earned ten million its first day. the 28 is only Friday, Sat and Sunday.

Come back at the end of next weekend after Blue Beetle is released and see how it is doing.
Its my opinion that the shell has started off soft and needs to find legs. As I pointed out we'll have to see how it does over the next week or two.

celluloid

Its my opinion that the shell has started off soft and needs to find legs. As I pointed out we'll have to see how it does over the next week or two.

Ok. Well, it is facts that it is already earned more than half of its money back on cost of production and is the only family release for the next two weeks.

What is your definition of down the sewers?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok. Well, it is facts that it is already earned more than half of its money back on cost of production and is the only family release for the next two weeks.

What is your definition of down the sewers?
Ruby Gillman did about half its production budget back as well, but it ended up dying in the seas and being pulled from theaters.

Not saying that is going to happen here, but if the Turtles don't leg it out over the next couple weeks its going to end up with the same fate. The point is that its starting soft in my opinion. It needed to get closer to $70M by this weekend to be considered to have a really good opening weekend, hence my opinion.

TalkingHead

Didn’t love Ninja Turtles’ second half but it’s got great word of mouth and the thing has a cool factor that makes Disney’s productions look like a quiet day at the public library. The soundtrack, the score, the style; not sure Disney needs to up their game in terms of hipness but it has to be a consideration. Their studio features aren’t only predictable, they’re looking old-fashioned compared to what audiences are responding to from other studios.

TP2000

It also cost half as much as Elemental and Haunted Mansion to produce.

I have absolutely no idea who these turtles are, but the budget issue is once again biting Disney in its bloated behind.

What Kind Of Turtle Again.jpg

TP2000

Really? You "have no idea who these turtles are"? Surely you jest.

I have a vague idea that they were a video game thing? Or a breakfast cereal thing?

I babysat two young nephews in the mid 1990's to mid 2000's, and I don't remember turtles at all.

But I wish them all the luck in the world. :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I have a vague idea that they were a video game thing? Or a breakfast cereal thing?

I babysat two young nephews in the mid 1990's to mid 2000's, and I don't remember turtles at all.

You must have lived under a rock then in 1990s. They were everywhere, including Halloween costumes. I'm surprised your pulse of pop culture hipness or your Halloween metric didn't recognize it.

TP2000

You must have lived under a rock then in 1990s.

I had just moved to Villa Park in the 1990's, not under a rock. But I was a middle aged man then, not watching cartoons or playing video games or eating sugary breakfast cereals.

So whichever of those industries these ninja turtles came from during the Clinton years, I was unaware of them.

At least I did watch Friends during that time, though. I loved that show. Thursday nights on NBC were mandatory for everyone back then, as I remember.

They were everywhere, including Halloween costumes. I'm surprised your pulse of pop culture hipness or your Halloween metric didn't recognize it.

Were they? I don't remember them at all on Halloween. But then, if you asked me right now what were the hippest costumes on my front porch back in Halloween 1994 or 1997, I couldn't tell you. I don't think I started my See's Candy Gift Baskets for Best Costume awards until the early 2000's. And I have almost no memory of who I gave them to in the 2000's. Or even 2010's. I do remember a "Candy Inspector" years ago; a cute young girl dressed up as Sherlock Holmes in English tweed with a pipe and a fake ID card identifying her as the Orange County Candy Inspector. She said she wanted to make sure my candy offerings were up to code. 🤣 🤣 🤣

I bet she's in college now as a campus It Girl, still making people laugh in class and at parties and with a gazillion friends. Bless her. 😍

Last edited:

celluloid

Don't feel too bad. By 1995 they had simmered quite a bit. So it was definitely more of a late 80s/early 90s deal. Disney cut ties with them in their theme park by 1995 because it was fading. I was a kid at the time they first came out and I even felt I was not feeling them much and they were just there. I was born in 1988 and I still feel they were kind of done by the time I was five in the early 90s. I did blindly enjoy Captain Planet though. for like a couple months.

This was a cooler lower budget way to bring the property back as it is a lot cheaper than the live action and was co-written and directed by Jeff Lowe, who is a guy who made Mitchell's Vs The Machines. Which is hilarious and on Netflix. I highly recommend it as it was one of the best animated films I have seen in a long time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I had just moved to Villa Park in the 1990's, not under a rock. But I was a middle aged man then, not watching cartoons or playing video games or eating sugary breakfast cereals.

So whichever of those industries these ninja turtles came from during the Clinton years, I was unaware of them.

At least I did watch Friends during that time, though. I loved that show. Thursday nights on NBC were mandatory for everyone back then, as I remember.

Were they? I don't remember them at all on Halloween. But then, if you asked me right now what were the hippest costumes on my front porch back in Halloween 1994 or 1997, I couldn't tell you. I don't think I started my See's Candy Gift Baskets for Best Costume awards until the early 2000's. And I have almost no memory of who I gave them to in the 2000's. Or even 2010's. I do remember a "Candy Inspector" years ago; a cute young girl dressed up as Sherlock Holmes in English tweed with a pipe and a fake ID card identifying her as the Orange County Candy Inspector. She said she wanted to make sure my candy offerings were up to code. 🤣 🤣 🤣

I bet she's in college now as a campus It Girl, still making people laugh in class and at parties and with a gazillion friends. Bless her. 😍
Well they were pretty much everywhere by 1990 when the first live action movie came out, after having started as a comic book and then a cartoon in the mid-late 80s and selling over $1.1B in toys. It had several sequels in 91 and 92. Several cartoon spin-offs and reboots along the way even as recently as the mid-2000s.

So basically you couldn't go anywhere in the early 90s without seeing something Ninja Turtle related.

But guess your finger wasn't in-tune yet with the pulse of hipness. Again I'm surprised you never saw any Halloween costumes like this at any adult parties during that time, they were all the rage -

FON34I6H8RVLMWN.jpg

c87e14f8e0e46f1853af490756c44abb.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not sure what kind of parties you imagine I attended in the 1990's, but I can assure you that this was not it...

c87e14f8e0e46f1853af490756c44abb.jpg
I'm not sure what kind of party you think this is from, but it was a standard adult Ninja Turtle costume sold back in the 90s. It was at plenty of adult Halloween parties I went to even in the early 00s.

celluloid

I'm not sure what kind of party you think this is from, but it was a standard adult Ninja Turtle costume sold back in the 90s. It was at plenty of adult Halloween parties I went to even in the early 00s.

This photo is not of a standard Ninja Turtle Costume sold in the 90s. That is a custom take of home made and likely body paint my man.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This photo is not of a standard Ninja Turtle Costume sold in the 90s. That is a custom take of home made and likely body paint my man.
You’re funny man.

Part is home made such as the shell, the other such as the one piece leotard with the “abs” was bought.

The point was to show how common it was back then. As I said I went to many parties with both male and female versions of TMNT costumes both home made and bought versions.

celluloid

You’re funny man.

Part is home made such as the shell, the other such as the one piece leotard with the “abs” was bought.

The point was to show how common it was back then. As I said I went to many parties with both male and female versions of TMNT costumes both home made and bought versions.

Your story just changed from your original reply:

Nope. This is not. This image is from a website which is in French but from the very start states a rough translation of
"Below you will find a selection of photos of homemade disguises"
There is a US website too. https://www.ideesdeguisement.fr/idees-de-deguisement/theme-soiree-annees/

These are 90s themed, not from the 90s as you stated and they are completely homemade costumes. So no need to keep lying that the second photo that.gave is all a simple chuckle was from the 90s costume set.
Your photo conveniently lacks the watermark for whatever reason.
1691396509337.png

At any rate, back to a lower performing movie and title of this topic: The Haunted Hatbox...err Mansion!

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Your story just changed from your original reply:

Nope. This is not. This image is from a website which is in French but from the very start states a rough translation of
"Below you will find a selection of photos of homemade disguises"
There is a US website too. https://www.ideesdeguisement.fr/idees-de-deguisement/theme-soiree-annees/

These are 90s themed, not from the 90s as you stated and they are completely homemade costumes. So no need to keep lying that the second photo that.gave is all a simple chuckle was from the 90s costume set.
Your photo conveniently lacks the watermark for whatever reason.
.View attachment 735920
At any rate, back to a lower performing movie and title of this topic: The Haunted Hatbox...err Mansion!
Story hasn't changed, I just did a quick google search for images I personally saw when I went to parties during the 90s to provide examples. So yes you found this particular picture is more recent, so I'm mistaken, so what. The point is still the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom