Haunted Mansion

mf1972

just got out of it. overall, it’s ok. wouldn’t rave about it. wasn’t bad for the most part but felt it got a little weak & corny near the final act. i did like the nods to the attraction & the special effects, especially how the hatbox ghost looks. as far as the ryder & levy cameos…kind of lame & unnecessary.
i did watch it in a dolby theater which was nice. not too many people were in the theater for a 7pm show. maybe 30-35 give or take. i do think even if disney released this around halloween vs the summer, it still might flop but maybe not as much. if i had to say which film version i liked, i’ll go with this one.

TP2000

So they should of push Dan levy as if he had a starting row even though it amounted just a cameo with maybe 2 lines of dialogue

Oh, is that all they gave him? A lousy cameo? :mad:

Well that's obviously why this movie is flopping. Daniel Levy, and anyone related by blood or even vaguely involved in the original SCTV cast, should be used extensively in any movie and in its marketing. That way, Disney might actually make a few bucks on their big budget movies instead of losing hundreds of Millions of dollars in a single summer.

I should consult for them. I have great ideas and my finger is on the pulse of Young America. :cool:

TalkingHead

This 1970 program featuring the Osmonds at Disneyland and the Haunted Mansion probably has more entertainment value than either of the Mansion movies. Kurt Russell’s on hand and narrates some behind-the-scenes WED stuff showing Imagineers working on the ride.

Back in the late 90s, there was some Disneyland guy online who offered to mail a VHS copy of this if you sent him a few bucks to cover the cost of postage and a blank tape. Good guy, I mailed him the money and he sent me a copy a whole year later!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I feel a more accurate representation of a movie ranking would be for RT to take the two aggregated reviewer types and average them to determine a truer "Tomatometer" fresh or rotten % rating. RT gives too much stock in what critics think.

1690744338998.png

I average Metacritic and RT critics' ratings.

I also average RT and IMDB audience rating (weighted by the number of reviewers).

MrPromey

Maybe it's because I was a child in 2003 and am now 30, but I remember the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion being marketed WAAAAY more than the new one. It felt like a real event. The only time I saw a trailer for the new movie was when I saw the Little Mermaid remake. Had I not been active on this website, it's likely I would have forgotten the movie was coming out at all.

The new film is better than the Eddie Murphy version, but that's not much use if people don't even know the movie is coming out.
That one came on the heels of Curse of the Black Pearl.

I recall Eisner in an investor message esentailly saying that Pirates became a breakout hit and that should necessarially be expected as the norm for all their live action stuff ahead of this one, suggesting they already knew THM was more Country Bears in quality than Pirates.

It got a good deal of marketing but it was being targeted to kids - not really to a wider audience the way we expect all their stuff to be, at this point.

DavidDL

I enjoyed it. I think. I'm still processing the film and will likely need to see it a second time before I really plant a flag of opinion on either side. Normally I spoil movies for myself ahead of time so that when I go to watch them, I have the story in advance and simply judge on execution of what I've read (sort of like reading a book first) and know that I'm not missing anything/don't get confused or have too many questions. I went out of my way not to do that for this one, plus there's the comparisons to the actual attraction that I love dearly to consider. So it feels a little more complicated to me.

There were things I liked and things I didn't. Just off the top of my head (minor spoilers):

Liked:
-How the group was brought together. A group of strangers each being assigned a ghost that follows them home and subsequently forces them back to the house felt like a fun way to nail the "attraction" feel.
-The performances from the cast, especially Stanfield and DeVito (who had me cracking up). I also liked that each character felt a bit fleshed out.
-The surprisingly emotional inclusion of how to, and how different people, process grief.
-The Mansion references, obviously. I thought the way they were able to include both coast's versions was fun and clever.
-I did like the Hatbox Ghost, even if I do have some lingering questions about his abilities and what exactly would have happened if he had succeeded. I think a second viewing will help me with this one. One thing I really did like about him was how they were able to tie the "silly/joke" tombs we have in each Mansion's queue to him. It absolutely feels like something a mad-man would do.

Didn't care for:
-Some of the pacing between scenes was a little rough/jarring.
-Maybe I'm just being picky here but some of the VFX felt a little weak to me, particularly during the stretching room segment. It's hard to not make the comparison to previous attraction-film offerings like Pirates, which managed to accomplish something like Davy Jones back in 2006.
-The reduction of the bride to a sort of snarling, feral animal. They even cut the really awesome trailer shot of her coming down the attic stairs, dragging the hatchet along with her. This was a shot I was really looking forward to. I think maybe the film-makers must have felt that there was too much emphasis on her a "secondary antagonist" and needed to tone her role down, in order to really drive the Hatbox Ghost home.
-On the whole, I felt the humor was good. But some jokes like the "Sage, from Costco" and "Pen and paper, from CVS" felt a little "eye-rolly" to me. Leota's "3 dollar" gag is probably the most egregious example of this. I felt Curtis was fine as Leota but this moment came out from nowhere because aside from this one moment, she maintains a more serious role and tone for the rest of the film. It just felt really out of place/character for this iteration of her. Which I know isn't much to go on to begin with but that's just how I felt.
-Unless I missed them, the singing busts were not included, even for the final scene of the film.
-I understand it is a sensitive subject and that maybe the poisoning could be considered a reference to the 2003 film but having Gracey take his own life and not hang himself from somewhere felt like a missed opportunity to me. Again, that might sound awful to some but I think my initial thought upon seeing him take his own life was, "If you were going to touch on this sensitive subject matter at all, don't make me feel like you're just dipping your toe in the water. Commit to it."

I look forward to a second viewing.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Having seen so much negativity going in, I was ready to be underwhelmed but I came out pleasantly surprised.

There was a lot not-great about this one so in a lot of ways, it's kind of right on pace with most of the other stuff I've seen in the last 2 years or so from Disney.

All but one of the characters was thin, the jokes were not great and it simultaneously felt too long while lacking a certain degree of detail in the plot and setup.

While all of the actors were generally good for what they had to work with (the little boy was great!), the biggest thing I wasn't a fan of was Jamie Lee Curtis as Madam Leota. I love her as an actress. I think she's great but her particular frown-faced delivery of the character and trying to speak with a deep voice and telling un-funny jokes while acting overly serous just didn't do it for me.

I thought maybe in context, the $3 joke would be better than it was in the trailer but nope. I couldn't even tell if it was supposed to be about the value of $3 from her time vs. now or just that she wanted cash like a two-bit-hustling fortune teller. It was so thrown in there that beyond being bad, it was also pointless.

I don't know if her part was bad casting or bad directing/writing but given things like that joke, I'm leaning more towards the latter.

Also it kind of stinks the way they set the Hatbox Ghost up as an incredibly macabre villain given the character/effect's storied history with the attraction.

The way things concluded was kind of corny and "yeah right" too but it wasn't really offensively bad - just head scratching given how quick of a wrapup it was for an over two hour movie that needed to end with a certain element resolved but also still in play due to the attraction tie-in.

My son and his cousin laughed and talked about it for the full two hours, though.

Basically, this feels like a Disney Channel movie with high production values.

I'll watch it again on D+ which is more than I can say for some of the other recents but I think a lot of that has to do with the ride.

I know I would have felt differently if I'd gone in blind because this time I really was expecting a train wreck and it exceeded those expectations a little but the two kids I took liked it (other than the length) so it appears it wasn't a total misfire, at least.

... not that any of that is going to help them at the box office but I could see this one becoming an annual Halloween living room movie for kids.

Tony the Tigger

I enjoyed the movie. Wasn't expecting Shakespeare, didn't get it LOL. Spoilers:

I was so happy with how many little references there were to the attraction. I kept spotting little things - the "Donald Duck chair," etc. I like the way they made the chairs move, referencing the attraction.

And I am 99% sure they were playing the theme to "It's A Small World" when they were in the other building. At first I thought it was a Christmas song, then I realized what it was.

Phroobar

That one came on the heels of Curse of the Black Pearl.

I recall Eisner in an investor message esentailly saying that Pirates became a breakout hit and that should necessarially be expected as the norm for all their live action stuff ahead of this one, suggesting they already knew THM was more Country Bears in quality than Pirates.

It got a good deal of marketing but it was being targeted to kids - not really to a wider audience the way we expect all their stuff to be, at this point.
I remember Disneyland closed the Country Bears forever on the day the Country Bears movie was released. Great job with that synergy Disney.

MrPromey

My take was she was not telling a joke. The joke was she was out of her time and thought $3 was a lot of money. That's just the way it sounded to me.
That's what I thought like "it's gonna cost you..." and she comes back with $3 which would have been a lot from her time but inconsequential now... but then Danny DeVito comes back all incredulous.

I guess instead of "joke" I should have said "gag" but it just felt weirdly ambiguous the way it plays out and whatever they meant it to be - maybe if someone else had rolled their eyes and grabbed $3 out of their wallet or said "can you break a $5?" or something. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

MrPromey

I enjoyed the movie. Wasn't expecting Shakespeare, didn't get it LOL. Spoilers:

I was so happy with how many little references there were to the attraction. I kept spotting little things - the "Donald Duck chair," etc. I like the way they made the chairs move, referencing the attraction.

And I am 99% sure they were playing the theme to "It's A Small World" when they were in the other building. At first I thought it was a Christmas song, then I realized what it was.
I suspect it being a giant collection of easter eggs for the ride is what I most liked about it, too.

The wicker chair resembling a doom buggy when moving was one of many cute ones.

The way they escape the stretching room was one I really liked.

I guess that might be one of the problems with it. If you're uber-familiar with the ride (like we all are), there is plenty to see in almost every scene but if you're just a general audience and don't know who that bride is or care much about Master Gracey, there's probably a lot less to appreciate.

Last edited:

DavidDL

My take was she was not telling a joke. The joke was she was out of her time and thought $3 was a lot of money. That's just the way it sounded to me.

This is an interesting take, one I hadn't considered and is obviously not where my mind landed during it. I think maybe it's what DeVito says afterwards ("Highway robbery!") that sold it to me as a weak attempt at humor on her part, especially since she just ends up doing it anyways.

I think I would have felt the same as you if she had said what she did and then the entire cast sort of gave her confused stares, then replied back at her with like, "..sure?", "Was that a lot back then?", etc. or maybe even having Stanfield's character eager to get change for, or simply tossing away a few of the hundreds he'd just been given by Gabbie earlier to Leota to show that money's not really of consequence in their particular situation. Maybe when she saw their responses or the cash they were willing to toss her way to solve the problem she would have had another chance at humor with something like, "I guess it's been longer than I thought.", or something.

Tony the Tigger

This is an interesting take, one I hadn't considered and is obviously not where my mind landed during it. I think maybe it's what DeVito says afterwards ("Highway robbery!") that sold it to me as a weak attempt at humor on her part, especially since she just ends up doing it anyways.

I think I would have felt the same as you if she had said what she did and then the entire cast sort of gave her confused stares, then replied back at her with like, "..sure?", "Was that a lot back then?", etc. or maybe even having Stanfield's character eager to get change for, or simply tossing away a few of the hundreds he'd just been given by Gabbie earlier to Leota to show that money's not really of consequence in their particular situation. It would have also played into the fact that Leota only thinks a few months have passed since she was trapped in the ball.
I mean, the secondary joke is DeVito is old as heck, so he thought it was a lot. Again, just the way I see it.

DavidDL

One other thing I forgot to mention that I really liked about the movie was the way they were able to explain why the house has such a seemingly random assortment of ghosts from so many different time periods hanging around it. In the park things are kept simple with, "these ghosts basically just chose to retire from from all over the world", which is fine and all we need for the ride experience.

But for a film with a more defined, narrative story like this that also wants to include all those familiar faces, it could be a challenge to have it make sense. But it did and they did a great job explaining how they all got there.

DavidDL

"I begged (Master Gracie) to stop..." Lady, you still had legs, LEAVE.

I'd chalk this one up to her realizing that he'd of continued, even if she had left. After all, he was obsessed. Someone less experienced or skilled than her might have caused even greater damage trying to fulfill Gracey's requests. So she must've figured that if someone was going to be doing this while trying to get him to stop, it may as well be her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom