Haunted Mansion

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here are a few Haunted Mansion reviews.

TP2000

We’ll see. It depends on how much it drops. Given good word of mouth, 50%-55% drop is a possibility. It earned $82.4M last weekend, meaning high $30Ms is within reach.

Haunted Mansion is projected to make $22-$32M this weekend.

I could see it third, or possibly fourth, if that weird Evangelical pay-it-forward thing with South of Freedom keeps chugging along.

I still don't get the Sound of Freedom thing. But what is clear to all of us now is that Disney just walked away from a lot of profit from that movie by not releasing it themselves. And where Haunted Mansion can manage to claw a spot for itself in all that is just as weird and unknown to me.

Here's yesterdays box office, a weekday. Where does Haunted Mansion go into that if it's only making $30 Million in its debut weekend?

First Weekday .jpg

Phroobar

I hear the movie feels like a cheap tv movie when they outside the mansion. Inside the mansion it feels like a set but with really good production design. It's also supposedly very sad because it deals with grief, loss and death. Curtis phones it in. Stanfield does a great job but everyone else is dead weight. There are some great elements and shot outs. I haven't heard any political messages in this one. It is suppose to be good but not blockbuster billion dollar great. Basically a good solid Disney movie.

TP2000

Just Googled...

Haunted Mansion had a production budget of $155 Million. It had a reported marketing budget of $100 Million, but I find that estimate suspiciously high.

That would mean it needs $510 Million at the global box office to break even, give or take based on domestic/overseas mix.

Personally, I would imagine their marketing budget for Haunted Mansion was more modest and closer to $75 Million. If that's the case, it needs $460 Million at the global box office to break even. Something tells me it's not going to make it. 🧐

celluloid

Yeah. This was intended to very much be a blockbuster. When something costs over 150 million in production budget they want profit. It is wild as the remake just did no favors as the original HM movie with Eddie, with inflation had the same or less budget at 75 million.

I think I would rather watch the Muppets HM a few times than this once. And I have already seen the Muppets one a couple. It is a fun Halloween family love letter, but this one, wanted to be a theatrical hit to synergize back itno the parks as well. Make no mistake about that.

TP2000

Here are a few Haunted Mansion reviews.

Of all those reviews, I think this paragraph from the appropriately named Deadline is the most prescient...

"Disney’s Haunted Mansion is a fair enough choice for a family night in, experienced from the comfort of your couch, where the flaws are less glaring and the price of admission for Disney+ is cheaper. It has its moments, especially if you are a fan of the original Disneyland ride."

TP2000

Yeah. This was intended to very much be a blockbuster. When something costs over 150 million in production budget they want profit. It is wild as the remake just did no favors as the original HM movie with Eddie, with inflation had the same or less budget at 75 million.

I think I would rather watch the Muppets HM a few times than this once. And I have already seen the Muppets one a couple. It is a fun Halloween family love letter, but this one, wanted to be a theatrical hit to synergize back itno the parks as well. Make no mistake about that.

Agreed.

To be completely accurate, the reported production budget for Haunted Mansion was $157.8 Million, but I rounded down to $155 even though I should have rounded up to $160.

Then I took a huge markdown on the marketing budget to only $75 Million.

But even then, with all the rounding down and pretend budget slashing, this one will likely lose at least another $100+ Million for Disney at the summer box office. A hundred million per movie here (Elemental, Haunted Mansion, Mermaid), a few hundred million there (Indy 5), and pretty soon that's gonna add up. ;)

celluloid

Agreed.

To be completely accurate, the reported production budget for Haunted Mansion was $157.8 Million, but I rounded down to $155.

But even then, with all the rounding down and pretend budget slashing, this one will likely lose at least another $100+ Million for Disney at the summer box office. A hundred million per movie here (Elemental, Haunted Mansion, Mermaid), a few hundred million there (Indy 5), and pretty soon that's gonna add up. ;)

Yes, and that 9 billion to comcast is looming with the writer's strike not really giving them much income.

GimpYancIent

Of all those reviews, I think this paragraph from the appropriately named Deadline is the most prescient...

"Disney’s Haunted Mansion is a fair enough choice for a family night in, experienced from the comfort of your couch, where the flaws are less glaring and the price of admission for Disney+ is cheaper. It has its moments, especially if you are a fan of the original Disneyland ride."
Welllll one thing is now glaringly clear. Disney damaged its own possible theater films success's with D +. The popularity of waiting out the theater runs for Disney movies and then watching them at home at less cost and greater comfort is being echoed obver and over. Disney has, yet again, successfully shot itself in the foot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed.

To be completely accurate, the reported production budget for Haunted Mansion was $157.8 Million, but I rounded down to $155.

But even then, with all the rounding down and pretend budget slashing, this one will likely lose at least another $100+ for Disney at the summer box office. A hundred million per movie here (Elemental, Haunted Mansion, Mermaid), a few hundred million there (Indy 5), and pretty soon that's gonna add up. ;)
They’re gonna be a billion dollars under covering production and marketing…

The losses are racking up and the excuses are becoming thin

Good movies sell tickets. They’ve released one good movie this year…and a bland cartoon remake

celluloid

Welllll one thing is now glaringly clear. Disney damaged its own possible theater films success's with D +. The popularity of waiting out the theater runs for Disney movies and then watching them at home at less cost and greater comfort is being echoed obver and over. Disney has, yet again, successfully shot itself in the foot.

They literally sponged the IP for a Disney Plus original two years ago with the Muppets Haunted Mansion. So like Star Wars, Marvel and other properties, they milked this one and oversaturated fast.
And they did so with no effort to give this one anymore quality or love letter than Baretta and the team did at Henson.

TP2000

Disney has, yet again, successfully shot itself in the foot.

What they should do is keep doing the same thing. Double down on the strategy even, by bringing back the retired 72 year old CEO who came up with all of it in the first place.

Whatever you do, Disney, don't stop doing what you've been doing with all the same people. Cause this is going great. Right? 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What they should do is keep doing the same thing. Double down on the strategy even, by bringing back the retired 72 year old CEO who came up with all of it in the first place.

Whatever you do, Disney, don't stop doing what you've been doing with all the same people. Cause this is going great. Right? 🤔
He didn’t even bother to fire his human shield at lucasfilm yet

The word is “hubris”

Nothing else fits

Tha Realest

Ideally, word of mouth will help The Haunted Mansion do well throughout August. I think Barbenheimer will overshadow it, but maybe it will end up like the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and be a shocking word-of-mouth success.
It’s getting a pretty tepid reviewer response so far (56%) so doubtful it’ll have much legs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom