Haunted Mansion

BrianLo

I mean this is no disparaging way whatsoever, but I think this was a Disney+ play they decided to see if they could at least recoup some money from theatrically. I don't think it will do great at the box office, but that seems somewhat ancillary. It probably gets 90 days in theatres, but 75 until it drops on D+. I think they are being conscientious that the ultra tight 45 day timeframes to streaming caused many of the issues the company is facing, hence the weirdness with a July release date.

It's not a cheap film, but it's also not atrocious at 157 million.

TP2000

It's not a cheap film, but it's also not atrocious at 157 million.

Agreed. This seems to be as cheap as Disney can go lately. Tack on a very modest $43 Million for marketing, and I think giving it a $200 Million combined budget is very, very generous when it comes to the upcoming box office tracking.

For reference, Barbie had a production budget of $145 Million for its all-star ensemble cast and cultural zeitgeist bullseye.

So basically, until we get a revised marketing budget from reputable sources, Haunted Mansion needs to make around $400 Million globally before it breaks even. Will it make it? I'm not optimistic, given how strongly Barbie has just taken over the global box office for the rest of the summer.

Tha Realest

Agreed. This seems to be as cheap as Disney can go lately. Tack on a very modest $43 Million for marketing, and I think giving it a $200 Million combined budget is very, very generous when it comes to the upcoming box office tracking.

For reference, Barbie had a production budget of $145 Million for its all-star ensemble cast and cultural zeitgeist bullseye.

So basically, until we get a revised marketing budget from reputable sources, Haunted Mansion needs to make around $400 Million globally before it breaks even. Will it make it? I'm not optimistic, given how strongly Barbie has just taken over the global box office for the rest of the summer.
It’s possible it opens at #3 behind Barbie and Oppenheimer next weekend, both of which are doing absolutely phenomenal and are expected to have great WOM

dreday3

In a funny turn of events...my husband and I rarely go to the theatre anymore to see a movie. The experience just isn't that enjoyable.

But, we changed our minds because I was really wanting to see Barbie and next week we decided to give Haunted Mansion some box office love. I like that they made this movie, it looks fun, it's the kind of movie that I want from Disney and I think would be great on a big screen with surround sound.

I'll let you all know what we think! 🙂

mf1972

this is good to know. i’m still trying to convince my wife to watch it. the bride always freaks her out a little. i’m trying to compromise. if she watches HM with me, i’ll sit through barbie with her 😂

WowFactor

Good point!
I was at WDW for 5 days last week and didn't see much about the HM movie. I wanted to buy this shirt and I didn't see it at any store (I didn't go to MK, though). As for Barbie, I saw several matketing pieces spread around Orlando, not to mention the buzz that is happening worldwide online. Really a budget review seems necessary. Or better strategy...

Phroobar

So Haunted Mansion opens on friday. Will it open to #4 position?

weekend-update-jpg.732645

celluloid

I don't know if it will open as low os number 4. I think 2 or 3 is more likely.

What I do have confidence to say is it will never be number for a domestic weekend set of dates.

TP2000

So Haunted Mansion opens on friday. Will it open to #4 position?

weekend-update-jpg.732645

That's an official Good Question. 🤔

What I can't get a handle on is where Sound of Freedom goes from here. Sound of Freedom is headed towards beating Indy 5 at the domestic box office by mid August, and that inconvenient truth should result in at least a few firings in Burbank from the Disney executives who purposely passed up on releasing that completed film for the past few years. But as I'm not in the demographic the Sound of Freedom marketing/chatter was aimed at, I just don't know how strong its staying power is. Who knows? It's weird.

My unconfident hunch is that Sound of Freedom will drop fast the next week or two, and Haunted Mansion will debut at #3 this weekend behind Barbie and Oppenheimer. So I guess I'll go with the following box office guess for this upcoming weekend;

1. Barbie
2. Oppenheimer
3. Haunted Mansion
4. Mission: Impossible???
5. Sound of Freedom???
6. Indy 5

Hawkeye_2018

My bet is it basically ties Oppeheimer for the 2 spot for the weekend but it won't have the legs of Elemental or LM with TMNT coming up

Tha Realest

My bet is it basically ties Oppeheimer for the 2 spot for the weekend but it won't have the legs of Elemental or LM with TMNT coming up
We’ll see. It depends on how much it drops. Given good word of mouth, 50%-55% drop is a possibility. It earned $82.4M last weekend, meaning high $30Ms is within reach.

Haunted Mansion is projected to make $22-$32M this weekend.

I could see it third, or possibly fourth, if that weird Evangelical pay-it-forward thing with South of Freedom keeps chugging along.

Ghost93

Ideally, word of mouth will help The Haunted Mansion do well throughout August. I think Barbenheimer will overshadow it, but maybe it will end up like the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and be a shocking word-of-mouth success.

mf1972

i bought a ticket for saturday. going solo since my wife claims to be a chicken of the ghost bride 😂. she’ll walk around the mall shopping while i’m in the theater. now that’s scary 😜

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom