Haunted Mansion vs Pirates of the Caribbean

Better ride?

• Total voters

Pepper's Ghost

Totally agree that POTC has changed too much. With that said I feel like there's no comparison as the poll shows. MK POTC while still loved is widely viewed by most on this site as the worst version of the ride, while MK HM is arguably the best version. So the question becomes is the worst version of POTC better than the best-ish version of HM... a silly question. As an HM addict I have to say "$#!t NO!"

Although I don't disdain MK POTC as much as most others, the maiden auction change is painful to look at. They'll never change it back, so they need to figure out how to update the ride substantially to help us not cringe at that point in the ride. A shut down, and update to the Shanghai version would be good enough to help forget what it's recently become. Is there really any more than a minuscule minority that like that they changed Red? Has a poll been done to measure how tiny that group is? Just curious.

Animaniac93-98

Is there really any more than a minuscule minority that like that they changed Red?

Disney really wants Red to be a thing. That's why she got her own meet and greet and Funko pop. We'll see if there is any lasting interest in this merchandisable maiden.

The amusement with the original character was that she was both seductive and clearly knew how to take advantage of her captors. Making her "one of the boys" doesn't really give her any unique appeal beyond being "pirate, but girl".

Pepper's Ghost

The amusement with the original character was that she was both seductive and clearly knew how to take advantage of her captors. Making her "one of the boys" doesn't really give her any unique appeal beyond being "pirate, but girl".
Well said. I agree 100%.

I also don't understand why we have to revise the story telling to pretend that things back then were different than they were.

Pepper's Ghost

Well, as the wise Rafiki once said:
"The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or... completely change it to make you feel comfortable today."
So frickin' true. That's our society now. We try to erase the past as if it never existed. Erasing/forgetting the past will only lead to a repeat of past sins.

The auction scene wasn't a glorification of a wicked past. It was simply a representation of it, and like @Animaniac93-98 said a few posts ago, the look on Red's face clearly shows she's "playing" the pirates in that scene.

The past can hurt.gif

Marden

So frickin' true. That's our society now. We try to erase the past as if it never existed. Erasing/forgetting the past will only lead to a repeat of past sins.

The auction scene wasn't a glorification of a wicked past. It was simply a representation of it, and like @Animaniac93-98 said a few posts ago, the look on Red's face clearly shows she's "playing" the pirates in that scene.

View attachment 521769
If people are relying on WDW for their history we have bigger problems. Regardless, the claim that changing something like Red or tearing down CSA statues "erases" history is a reductive argument rooted in personal politics.

I find it very hard to believe that people wanted the old auction scene to stay based on an altruistic desire to ensure future generations have a nuanced understanding of Mercantilist society during the Golden Age of Piracy.

Pepper's Ghost

If people are relying on WDW for their history we have bigger problems. Regardless, the claim that changing something like Red or tearing down CSA statues "erases" history is a reductive argument rooted in personal politics.

I find it very hard to believe that people wanted the old auction scene to stay based on an altruistic desire to ensure future generations have a nuanced understanding of Mercantilist society during the Golden Age of Piracy.
Whoa! Too many big words in this post. 🤣🤪

I think people myself included think the new scene just sucks. It's not very realistic for the times either.

The Empress Lilly

I've been combing over videos of WDW's Pirates pre and post movie changes and its shocking how much you forget was changed over time. So many little visual and audio changes that made the ride much worse, even before you walk into the building.

The marquee and painting where the original and barker bird one was are both very tacky. Not having the cannons shoot outside as often makes Caribbean Plaza as a whole lose much of its atmosphere. The current music in the caves isn't moody or exciting, just dull. The Treasure Room space looks so empty. That big stage outside the room designed for 5 AAs and spraying water effects now with nothing. What's up with the pirates in the chase scene carrying a treasure chest running in a circle? Doesn't make as much sense as one person chasing another. Don't get me started on the chicken auction or the constant talking about Jack Sparrow.

Most of the ride is there, yes, but most of the life has been sucked out of it too.
The story of so much of the MK. :'(

One more addition, or reduction: the third pig. Missing in action too.

macefamily

I didn't expect this much of a blowout, but I must admit that I did vote for HM. Both are classic rides, but I'm a sucker for a haunted house/Halloween attraction.

Both are my 2 favorite attractions, But Haunted Mansion is my absolute favorite, mainly MK's version. Everything from the facade, music, atmosphere, decor/ set design, to the SFX. I must say, though I've never been to DLR, I have seen plenty of POV's of both their attractions, and I think their POTC is better than WDW's.

Raineman

HM. POTC has changed too much to me, I really would love to see an original as possible version of it but it no longer exists.
Given the latest news about Jungle Cruise changes, HM may be next, so the original version of that may be gone forever soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom