Haunted Mansion vs Pirates of the Caribbean

Better ride?

• Total voters

bryanfze55

I’m just replying to what people are saying to me? Why do the polls? Really? This is a discussion site, and these two rides are beloved by all and great rides, is it really that bad?!

I made this same poll on the Disneyland section and it’s a lot more closer and interesting, I knew this would be a more easy one.

I enjoy the polls. You just came off as very snappy to one of the more respected posters on this site for asking a simple question. Perhaps it was unintended.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
I enjoy the polls. You just came off as very snappy to one of the more respected posters on this site for asking a simple question. Perhaps it was unintended.
Yea, it wasn’t. I was simply answering what they were saying, as they came off annoyed at me. I didn’t know they were a “respected” poster lmao, didn’t know that was a thing.

Chef Mickey

??
Uh...

By the way, I've been on this site for 3 years, it says on my profile.
Good for you. Still wasn't 100% clear, and I still stand by it. Posting these other threads is meaningless.

Remove all doubt by saying WDW versions next time, because it's open to interpretation the way you presented.

Disney Analyst

It’s a tight run race but the Orlando staircase scene just about gives WDW the edge IMHO. As does Constance when the projector is correctly aligned.

I will say I agree HM at MK beats Disneyland overall, but I have always preferred Disneyland’s attic, and now with the hat box ghost... chefs kiss.

Parker in NYC

Meh. The hype for DL's Pirates is IMHO overblown. I mean, it's a fantastic ride don't get me wrong - but it's not as much better than MK's as is often portrayed. MK has a superior queue building up to the ride which helps to set the tone much better than in DL (and helps make up for a portion of the extra ride time in Cali) and a lot of the extra ride time in DL is filler where all the key stuff is at MK anyway. I do wish MK had the shootout scene though.

I look forward to experiencing Paris someday to see their POTC. I've actually avoided ride through videos of it because I want to experience it without bias once I finally get there.
Surprise surprise.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Meh. The hype for DL's Pirates is IMHO overblown. I mean, it's a fantastic ride don't get me wrong - but it's not as much better than MK's as is often portrayed. MK has a superior queue building up to the ride which helps to set the tone much better than in DL (and helps make up for a portion of the extra ride time in Cali) and a lot of the extra ride time in DL is filler where all the key stuff is at MK anyway. I do wish MK had the shootout scene though.

I look forward to experiencing Paris someday to see their POTC. I've actually avoided ride through videos of it because I want to experience it without bias once I finally get there.

MK’s Pirates is literally half of the DL ride. And the DLP version beats them both.

KBLovedDisney

I will add, as much as I love both the rides, they used to come very close to which one was my top favorite.

But it will always be the Haunted Mansion.

(Side note: I like Pirates a little less now thanks to them changing one of my favorite scenes...)
tenor.gif

Animaniac93-98

I agree with others, that for WDW this contest would be closer if we were comparing past versions of the ride.

WDW Mansion was at its peak from 2007-2011. Pirates was from its opening in 1973 until the late 90s when the first changes started and upkeep was beginning to slide.

Animaniac93-98

Paris’ Pirates is truly a wonder. Best of WDW (fortress entrance) plus best of DL (longer with two drops), unique additional scenes all its own, with a dash of Splash Mountain (caves and details visible from the railroad).

I agree Paris is a fantastic reworking of the whole experience from start to finish, but I would give props to WED and Marc Davis who made subtle changes for the Tokyo version.

At first glance, it's the same as California, but it has a number of edits, including:

- A split level indoor queue. Not as impressive as WDW or DLP, but better than outdoor switchbacks
- Darker caves with lower ceilings which changes the mood of the start of the ride
- The boats get closer to the well scene, like in Orlando
- More space between the chase scene and burning town, again like in Orlando
- A speedramp for the ending, instead of waiting in the boat to go up, something no subsequent version of Pirates ended with
- A proper ride through treasure room for Jack at the end, instead of the awkwardly tacked on box next to the lift hill he sits in California.

It's kind of like what could/should have been built for Orlando. Removing the "extra" gaps between scenes*, but not taking too much away. Like DLP the end result doesn't feel shorter than it is, unlike Orlando if you've been on the other rides.

*These gaps however, do give the DLR ride a different pacing that feels more cinematic. They contrast with the busier scenes in the same way action scenes do on film and add to the overall feeling that you're going on an extended adventure.

Marc Davis Fan

Yeah, it seems like people's perceptions of attractions are dramatically affected by what hype we hear beforehand, even if we try hard to avoid being affected by it.

As one interesting example:

When I first went on DL's PotC, I didn't know it was different from WDWs... and I was blown away more than I've ever been on any attraction anywhere.

When I went on Shanghai's PotC, I had the expectation that it would be the greatest attraction in history, bar none. Needless to say, even as spectacular of an attraction as that left me a little underwhelmed after the insane hype about it.

I guess the lesson is that we should all at least try to assume that hype about attractions is not useful, and that there will be people who say nearly everything is the best thing since sliced bread, and that even the most spectacular attractions can be underwhelming if they're hyped to high heaven.*

As for Paris's PotC, let me just say "I liked it," and leave it at that :)

*...but I have to say, I was still blown away by RotR despite the hype, so I dunno...

Animaniac93-98

I've been combing over videos of WDW's Pirates pre and post movie changes and its shocking how much you forget was changed over time. So many little visual and audio changes that made the ride much worse, even before you walk into the building.

The marquee and painting where the original and barker bird one was are both very tacky. Not having the cannons shoot outside as often makes Caribbean Plaza as a whole lose much of its atmosphere. The current music in the caves isn't moody or exciting, just dull. The Treasure Room space looks so empty. That big stage outside the room designed for 5 AAs and spraying water effects now with nothing. What's up with the pirates in the chase scene carrying a treasure chest running in a circle? Doesn't make as much sense as one person chasing another. Don't get me started on the chicken auction or the constant talking about Jack Sparrow.

Most of the ride is there, yes, but most of the life has been sucked out of it too.

Walt Disney1955

The Disneyland Pirates is what I would pick above all else. Haunted Mansion might slightly take the cake over WDW Pirates. However, this is like choosing between lobster and steak. You can't go wrong. And whenever I pick one I always can make a case why I should have picked the other.

yensidtlaw1969

Yeah, it seems like people's perceptions of attractions are dramatically affected by what hype we hear beforehand, even if we try hard to avoid being affected by it.

As one interesting example:

When I first went on DL's PotC, I didn't know it was different from WDWs... and I was blown away more than I've ever been on any attraction anywhere.

When I went on Shanghai's PotC, I had the expectation that it would be the greatest attraction in history, bar none. Needless to say, even as spectacular of an attraction as that left me a little underwhelmed after the insane hype about it.

I guess the lesson is that we should all at least try to assume that hype about attractions is not useful, and that there will be people who say nearly everything is the best thing since sliced bread, and that even the most spectacular attractions can be underwhelming if they're hyped to high heaven.*

As for Paris's PotC, let me just say "I liked it," and leave it at that :)

*...but I have to say, I was still blown away by RotR despite the hype, so I dunno...
I sense my opinion is surprisingly unpopular, but I'd put the Disneyland Original Pirates over the Shanghai Pirates ANY day of the week.

For how much older the DL original is, I too expected more from Shanghai - it had all that money, tech, and time since 1967 in its favor and it didn't produce a ride experience as seamless, as convincing, as transportive, as artful . . . as satisfying as the original. DL's Pirates sets a high bar for sure, but they had every reason to be able to clear it in Shanghai and I don't think they did. Some handsome elements throughout, but the projection domes and miniscule Animatronic cast kill it for me. It's fun, it's big, but far from the modern masterpiece people make it out to be. Disneyland's Pirates, for all the damage it's suffered over the years, is still a masterpiece.

I really respect what Paris does, and it does some of those things quite beautifully - the sets are perhaps the most beautifully dressed of any Pirates, and its layout is ambitious, exciting, and richly inventive - but the ride itself does seem to be missing some of the breadth of the DL original. DL's has somehow always felt like more than the sum of its significant parts; DLP's feels right about equal to the sum of them.

I had a similar experience with DL's Pirates - first rode it at 10 years old after having grown up on WDW's Pirates, had no idea it would be any different . . . and at every turn it wowed. You get off really feeling like you've woken from a mysterious dream . . . could all of that really have happened? Even when you "know how it's done" it's still hard to calculate how they do all of that . . . how does it fit? When the cave opens up on the Wicked Wench you really wonder if you're still in the same Disneyland you were in 5 minutes ago. The ride is a revelation of space in an otherwise intimate park.

Imagine if they'd scaled UP the WDW version to match the scope of The Magic Kingdom rather than scaling it down the way they did. There's still a lot to love about WDW's Pirates - I think Shanghai's could stand to learn more from WDW's than WDW could stand to learn from Shanghai - but it could have really been THE thing. Which I suppose it would have if it had instead come to being as Western River Expedition as originally planned.

All this said, I still voted for The Haunted Mansion 😂 But clearly there's a lot of nuance that's worth consideration.

MickeyLuv'r

I made this thread, and I was only asking to compare the MK’s versions of these two rides.
We play this game a fair amount at home, or at least we do when we're about to visit WDW/FL. It is always a fun for a discussion.

Both are great, but at MK, I give an edge to HM.

tanc

HM. POTC has changed too much to me, I really would love to see an original as possible version of it but it no longer exists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom