Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

owlsandcoffee

This spookhouse ride seems to be pretty popular. Better remove all macabre elements from Disneyland Resort, WDI! Clearly, it's just not something people are interested in.

I saw someone on twitter say that the hanging body creeped them out, so they'd be fine with seeing it go.

Like...it's a haunted house. Just ride Peter Pan (a good ride!) if you don't want to be creeped out.

CraftyFox

For anybody wondering where the “dollhouse” mentioned in some articles is, it’s directly to the left of the Ambrose portrait. Its pretty visible around the 7:19 time stamp in this video from Theme Park Shark. It looks like a boarded up Second Empire style house- pretty stereotypical Charles Addams or Psycho type haunted house.

52B9B67A-1CA2-4835-A8E9-CB5F502AD28A.jpeg

(Brightened for easier viewing)

EDIT: I have been informed that this dollhouse has been in the attic for ages. I'm gonna mark the "dollhouse" often mentioned as misreporting, as we saw with the skunk tombstone which has also always been on the grounds.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

I saw someone on twitter say that the hanging body creeped them out, so they'd be fine with seeing it go.

Like...it's a haunted house. Just ride Peter Pan (a good ride!) if you don't want to be creeped out.
But I'm sure they're alright with Spongbob and that new Looney Tunes show to have "laying in the middle of the road" jokes.

yensidtlaw1969

For anybody wondering where the “dollhouse” mentioned in some articles is, it’s directly to the left of the Ambrose portrait. Its pretty visible around the 7:19 time stamp in this video from Theme Park Shark. It looks like a boarded up Second Empire style house- pretty stereotypical Charles Addams or Psycho type haunted house.

View attachment 553908
(Brightened for easier viewing)
See, this thing confuses me a little, because that's the only Dollhouse I see in the Attic while scanning the new videos, but that particular Dollhouse has been there for some time - since at least before the ride closed in 2019:

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 12.33.10 AM.png

Is there another one in the Attic somewhere? It definitely was made to sound like there was a new Dollhouse being added.

Perhaps we haven't spotted it yet?

CaptinEO

Join Luke Skywalker and friends in the Tauntaun Mansion, opening May 2022
If it has Luke Skywalker and friends it already sounds better than anything Disney has done with Star Wars. Count me in!

(Just kidding Disney is too cool for those old and boring characters of a franchise they paid 4 billion dollars for, they should promote all the NEW characters they created that no one cares about!)

owlsandcoffee

If it has Luke Skywalker and friends it already sounds better than anything Disney has done with Star Wars. Count me in!

(Just kidding Disney is too cool for those old and boring characters of a franchise they paid 4 billion dollars for, they should promote all the NEW characters they created that no one cares about!)

Yes of course! Nobody likes those dumb old movies. Honestly they're problematic anyway...

George Lucas on a Bench

Looks like the new one eyed cat tribute is just a modified $90 off-the-shelf statue from Wayfair. 🤦‍♂️

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp...qBp22pqytsimrHlAqFTqNOaDywf3V35-CFAlLfc3Q86nI

To be fair, most of the headstones in the pet cemetery are also off the self garden statues, so there's precedent, but still... this is a feature inside the attraction itself, so feels kinda cheap?

Wayfair is probably where they got the fake animal garden statues for the redone Rivers of America as well.

Tamandua

Looks like the new one eyed cat tribute is just a modified $90 off-the-shelf statue from Wayfair. 🤦‍♂️

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp...qBp22pqytsimrHlAqFTqNOaDywf3V35-CFAlLfc3Q86nI

To be fair, most of the headstones in the pet cemetery are also off the self garden statues, so there's precedent, but still... this is a feature inside the attraction itself, so feels kinda cheap?
Some guy at WDI probably made a lot more than $90 to find and buy that. I heard a former "imagineer" on the Defunctland podcast some time back talk about "creating" trader Sam's and working on the haunted mansion, but as he got into details, his job was basically just buying stuff like this. I wasn't that surprised to hear he was a former imagineer, as much as he made himself sound important and talked about how much he loved his job. You can have the interns do this stuff.

Castle Cake Apologist

Wayfair is probably where they got the fake animal garden statues for the redone Rivers of America as well.

Wait, you mean this isn't peak Imagineering to you??

Imagineering-Disney_Marc-Davis_rivers+of+america+3.jpg

(Credit Micechat)

EDIT: And before anybody comes in here to school me... yes, I know this tableau was based on a Marc Davis concept sketch. However, the execution is far from great, and maaaybe there was a reason Marc didn't use the concept.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Some guy at WDI probably made a lot more than $90 to find and buy that. I heard a former "imagineer" on the Defunctland podcast some time back talk about "creating" trader Sam's and working on the haunted mansion, but as he got into details, his job was basically just buying stuff like this. I wasn't that surprised to hear he was a former imagineer, as much as he made himself sound important and talked about how much he loved his job. You can have the interns do this stuff.
Props and sourcing is a role throughout the industry.

Figments Friend

So i have had a very crazy couple of weeks at work, and have not been able to keep up with the latest news here....but of course i am curious.
I am not able to read through the entire thread at this time, and probably wont be able to until next week....so....

Anyone care to tell me in a nutshell what the new 'enhancements and magic' entail that have been added to the Mansion?

-

Castle Cake Apologist

Props and sourcing is a role throughout the industry.

Don’t get too pressed about props sourcing. That’s the nature of the business. It’s literally an entire career field. You’d be amazed how much Etsy and Amazon and Wayfair ends up on Broadway stages.

Oh for sure... just seems like they usually try harder. It took the internet 3 days to figure out that it came from Wayfair.

Also seems to me like a relatively major new addition to the queue would have been custom sculpted, especially since it's being presented to us as a "tribute" to X. Atencio.

George Lucas on a Bench

So i have had a very crazy couple of weeks at work, and have not been able to keep up with the latest news here....but of course i am curious.
I am not able to read through the entire thread at this time, and probably wont be able to until next week....so....

Anyone care to tell me in a nutshell what the new 'enhancements and magic' entail that have been added to the Mansion?

-

Nice landscaping outside, repainted house, minor animal gags (no surprise there) including a cat statue from Wayfair with glowing eyes, wallpaper and April portrait on previously bare wall in the boarding area and a larger handicap waiting area separated by a controversial fence.

I think there's also a chair on strings added in the crystal ball room but other than that it's the same ride with refreshing.

There is also an optional alternate entrance through the emergency exit/backstage Beetlejuice hallway through the crypt where they've slapped in portraits from the stretch room and luminara candles to make it appear themed.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Oh for sure... just seems like they usually try harder. It took the internet 3 days to figure out that it came from Wayfair.

Also seems to me like a relatively major new addition to the queue would have been custom sculpted, especially since it's being presented to us as a "tribute" to X. Atencio.
I absolutely agree that a feature piece that is sold and publicized such as the cat should have been a custom sculpt.

People figuring out where items originated is not new and is only going to get easier as image recognition improves. If you know where to look you can find a lot of the products used by Disney. On the one hand it sucks to recognize something that is bog standard but it’s also something for which I would criticize Disney for not using. Part of Disney’s soaring costs is getting custom versions of things that are available as a standard item.

I though was more responding to the outright dismissal of propping as an actual area of work. Lately it seems there is just a knee-jerk reaction to dismiss long established aspects of the industry because they have been publicized.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom