Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

Disney Analyst

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to quote this poster for the opening day thread, this has even more insight as to why they’ve decided to have two options - the line can only get so big and then they can’t allow anyone else in line. All due to stretching room capacity issues.

I hope that after yesterday they are better prepared for the outdoor queuing. The first thing we did yesterday when we got into the park around 8:40 am (technically before the park opened) was head to the haunted mansion where we were told they were not allowing any more guests into the line as it was too long. Later in the day we came back and got in line and they split some of us off into a second entrance I never knew about that went down some stairs and entered the hallway where you get into the doom buggy. The capacity limits must make the elevator scene move the line too slow so they're bypassing it for some people.

The haunted mansion is a people eater, and I personally believe this should be done until they can increase capacity

DavidDL

It’s interesting because when I worked there the hierarchy went:

1) Safety
2) Courtesy
3) Show
4) Efficiency

You never sacrificed something on top for something below it. A safe show was better than a courteous one and a good show was better than an efficient one.

I guess depending on your perspective, this side entrance could be considered a courtesy, which would put it above the show itself. But given the way HM eats people up and would otherwise be sitting empty for long intervals, it’s definitely an efficiency thing, in my eyes.

MagicWDI

1) Safety
2) Courtesy
3) Show
4) Efficiency

You never sacrificed something on top for something below it. A safe show was better than a courteous one and a good show was better than an efficient one.

I guess depending on your perspective, this side entrance could be considered a courtesy, which would put it above the show itself. But given the way HM eats people up and would otherwise be sitting empty for long intervals, it’s definitely an efficiency thing, in my eyes.
Good point. But if too many people are in the queue, possibly making it difficult to distance themselves in the eyes of Disney, Disney could pull the Safety card, trumping all other pillars.

Disney Analyst

I agree with this. It's not just the queue either; if HM isn't running the expected hourly capacity of people, that means more people in the pathways too.

Because of safety, courtesy is gone as they now have to turn people from the line as it can only grow so big before being shut down, again due to safety.

Efficiency is also out the window.

So with several pillars at play, show would need to take a backseat right now.

You can have a slight impact on show, for those who choose to go that route, but increase safety, courtesy, and efficiency.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Absolutely. I won’t knock anyone’s personal choice to take the 5 minute entrance. I get the appeal of waiting less in line. But I personally can’t imagine waiting all this time to return to the Mansion only to miss such an integral part of the experience. But that’s just me. You’re right, the more folks who go that way, the less of a wait for me! But hopefully no first timers, because they’d really be missing out. :(

For someone like me with two young-ins it may make sense even though ideally I’d rather get the whole experience. Depends what time it is, how my back is feeling, how many tantrums I’ve dealt with and how hot it is.

Tamandua

I liked getting the alternate entrance yesterday because I've been on the ride probably a hundred times and it was nice to see something new. It does sort of ruin the overall experience though. Not as bad as being on Rise of the resistance when it breaks down and you have time to sit there for a while and see how flimsy everything looks when you're not in motion.

yensidtlaw1969

1) Safety
2) Courtesy
3) Show
4) Efficiency

To me this seems like a case where Efficiency IS a Safety and Courtesy concern.

They have to cap the line for Safety reasons, since there's only so much allowable queuing space, and as a Courtesy to guests they're willing to offer an entrance that compromises the Show in favor of a shorter wait time. That frees up the limited queuing space to guests who would otherwise be turned away.

Since there's no way the Mansion is running anywhere near its designed capacity, even with the shortcut, and since the shortcut is merely an option and not being forced on anyone, it's not like their greatest interest is in Efficiency. You're permitted to wait for the complete Show if you want to. But if you're more interested in a shorter wait they give you that chance, and then fewer guests get closed out.

yensidtlaw1969

At least y'all still have a stretching room. Here its been reduced to a walkthrough as part of the queue.
This, for sure.

That said, we all know that the Stretching Rooms will be restored to their full and intended use as soon as it's safe. Otherwise Disneyland would only be using the Stretch Rooms as an accessible entry instead of for most guests.

CaptinEO

I've exited the mansion when I had a reservation and the ride broke down post stretching room. That exit (that's now an entrance) is just backstage with black painted walls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom