Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

lazyboy97o

I understand that.. at the same time though.. it’s not supposed to be a legit voice over per say. Just something done in fun while still speaking about the enhancements as her usual self. I wouldn’t be so harsh on her in all honesty.
This is not a quick ad by the guys who run a local haunt. It is a promotion piece produced by a multibillion dollar multinational entertainment conglomerate for one of their marquee attractions at their flagship park that generates millions of dollars in revenue in a single day. It went through copious hours of review and approval before being posted. It is absolutely “legit”.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

A lot of those attraction changes were likely directives from above (Snow White, for instance) and to say that Big Bad Kim Irvine ruined all of them seems incorrect.
This is true - MANY times Kim has gone to bat with them in an effort to resist or mitigate their negative influence on the park. She then is tasked with delivering on the compromise she was able to negotiate and often gets raked over the coals by fans who don’t realize the result is the best possible version of someone else’s bad idea.

Remember when we got the fun new Skeleton/Pirate along with the old restored cavern audio when they went in and redid the Auction scene? Thank Kim for those small blessings that come with the mandated lameness. I won’t pretend she’s perfect, but she goes out of her way to rescue so much of Disneyland from the people who run it and gets all the hate for putting herself in harms way.

DanielBB8

The most tired argument on any Disney board: If you like the project it is because the Imagineer is brilliant. If the project sucks, it's because of management, "bean counters", Eisner/Bob, etc.

How come we never hear "Wow, have you seen Splash Mountain?! Wow, that was great of Eisner to greenlight it and the CFO to fund the CAPEX!!! So glad all of the upper management was so involved and pumped so much money into it so it could be amazing!!!"

Nope, it's "Splash is great because of Tony Baxter" and Batuu sucks because of "someone at corporate".

Rinse. Repeat.
100% agree. Everyone is a corporate employee. The Imagineers should be glad to be working at the pleasure of Management. They are all under different kinds of pressure.

yensidtlaw1969

This is not a quick ad by the guys who run a local haunt. It is a promotion piece produced by a multibillion dollar multinational entertainment conglomerate for one of their marquee attractions at their flagship park that generates millions of dollars in revenue in a single day. It went through copious hours of review and approval before being posted. It is absolutely “legit”.
I think they just meant that it’s more a general interview with a project director that was given a spirited slant to fit the vibe of the ride being talked about than it is a genuine effort at creating a Mansion-ready brand element, you know? Like that video of the Snow White updates where she’s just a talking head over clips of the new elements. It’s intended to be “cute”, light marketing, not an in-park product, which would of course be held to a higher standard. It’s a social media peek behind the scenes, not a full-blown national commercial.

That said, I do think there’s room for improvement in the Imagineering social media realm - too many videos over the years show frightened-looking Imagineers talking about projects they maybe we’re HEAD of but clearly have no business being the FACE of. And even beyond that, check the videos Disney Parks has been uploading to Tiktok - whoever’s doing their voiceover sounds like they would kill to be anywhere else. It’s frankly quite puzzling considering how many people there are out there who could easily do better and probably for less.

All this to say, I don’t really blame Kim for not being a stellar voice over artist, I blame whoever keeps asking people who aren’t to try to pretend to be.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yeah, the fencing was really the only oddity...wasn't sure what the purpose was.

I wonder if there is a functional reason for it. Something do with the lighting or the April portrait?

Actually it may just be to continue the illusion of being in a hallway which isn’t really working.

yensidtlaw1969

The most tired argument on any Disney board: If you like the project it is because the Imagineer is brilliant. If the project sucks, it's because of management, "bean counters", Eisner/Bob, etc.

How come we never hear "Wow, have you seen Splash Mountain?! Wow, that was great of Eisner to greenlight it and the CFO to fund the CAPEX!!! So glad all of the upper management was so involved and pumped so much money into it so it could be amazing!!!"

Nope, it's "Splash is great because of Tony Baxter" and Batuu sucks because of "someone at corporate".

Rinse. Repeat.
Truth be told, that‘s not exactly the best example simply because Michael Eisner’s greenlighting of Splash Mountain is famously used as an example of his spirited shakeup of the company from one that was growing creatively stagnant to one that was willing to take risks. He greenlit Splash and Star Tours in the same day because he brought his kid to the model shop and those were the projects that blew the kid’s mind, so he figured the public would probably flip for them too.

I’m sure you know that story, just illustrating for anyone who may not. People tell that story to denote what a breath of fresh air he was in the early days of his tenure.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So I've been keeping up with this news all day, and the posts here, just first time to post myself.

I like what I see so far, hoping it looks even better in person.

lazyboy97o

I think they just meant that it’s more a general interview with a project director that was given a spirited slant to fit the vibe of the ride being talked about than it is a genuine effort at creating a Mansion-ready brand element, you know? Like that video of the Snow White updates where she’s just a talking head over clips of the new elements. It’s intended to be “cute”, light marketing, not an in-park product, which would of course be held to a higher standard. It’s a social media peek behind the scenes, not a full-blown national commercial.

That said, I do think there’s room for improvement in the Imagineering social media realm - too many videos over the years show frightened-looking Imagineers talking about projects they maybe we’re HEAD of but clearly have no business being the FACE of. And even beyond that, check the videos Disney Parks has been uploading to Tiktok - whoever’s doing their voiceover sounds like they would kill to be anywhere else. It’s frankly quite puzzling considering how many people there are out there who could easily do better and probably for less.

All this to say, I don’t really blame Kim for not being a stellar voice over artist, I blame whoever keeps asking people who aren’t to try to pretend to be.
I don’t blame Kim but lets not pretend that these videos aren’t productions. Disney isn’t just letting people put something together to share. There is no reason that Disney can not have better writing and performances. They have the resources to make this pieces better. And it’s not just these design videos. Go watch Chapek speaking at IAAPA and he’s about as charismatic as a bag of bricks. There’s no reason public facing executives can‘t have some coaching.

yensidtlaw1969

Interesting. So who in corporate Strat Planning or Finance wrote the dialogue about the chickens?

I wonder who in Investor Relations came up with the idea to have pirates (who are simultaneously looting, burning down a town, and drowning its mayor) participating in an episode of Antique Road Show?
Like I said, she’s not perfect - and perhaps in the case of the Auction calling it the “best possible version of the idea” is overly generous. I’m not a fan of how it turned out. My point was mainly that without someone like Kim Irvine stepping up and insisting something of quality be done elsewhere in the attraction we would have ONLY gotten a terrible redo of a classic scene and been left to settle for that.

yensidtlaw1969

I don’t blame Kim but lets not pretend that these videos aren’t productions. Disney isn’t just letting people put something together to share. There is no reason that Disney can not have better writing and performances. They have the resources to make this pieces better. And it’s not just these design videos. Go watch Chapek speaking at IAAPA and he’s about as charismatic as a bag of bricks. There’s no reason public facing executives can‘t have some coaching.
That’s basically what I said - I don’t expect everything to be done at the same level, and a little Tiktok video is hardly hard-hitting news, but the platform has literally thousands of fans brimming with enthusiasm who could host those things a thousand times better than whoever’s doing it now. It puzzles me that Disney doesn’t just pluck a couple of them from obscurity and take the quality to the next level for practically nothing.

FerretAfros

In addition to the lighting balance that may or may not be an issue, the placement of the new portrait seems like it could cause some issues.

The original hallway is a masterclass in carefully guiding the guests' attention through the room, subconsciously guiding them down the ever-narrowing walkway, which starts wide enough for the dual sets of oversized double doors at the stretching room and ends at a single-file line at the conveyor belt without ever feeling forced. The series of portraits along the right wall capture your eyes after exiting the stretching room, and you're then pulled forward by the busts directly ahead. You're then drawn through the compression-and-expansion of space created by the small portal under the railroad tracks and the mysterious void beyond, straight to the loading area.

This new portrait is accompanied by a new folding screen that partially obscures the initial view of the Doombuggies, and is hung on the wall opposite them. The screen will clutter up the view through the small opening to the loading area, presumably to divert attention toward the new portrait. This means that people looking at the portrait will have their backs to the loading area, pulling their focus away from their next steps, and creating a congestion point in a location where the walkway has already narrowed almost to single-file. This issue is further exacerbated by the 4-panel format of the April-December portrait, which takes a lot longer for a guest to absorb than the simple flash of lightning portraits in the larger hallway.

While it's nice to see the return of an element that was removed 10-15 years ago, the location of it seems less than ideal. Instead classic WED's cinematic unfolding that gradually reveals details, we get another modern WDI creation that seems to be inspired by the Applebee's school of thought, where more stuff on the walls is the only way to decorate a room

BayouShack

In addition to the lighting balance that may or may not be an issue, the placement of the new portrait seems like it could cause some issues.

You make a great point. While you spend quite a bit of time in the first hallway, by the time you’re in the load room you have to start planning on how you’ll get on the buggies. I imagine the first view as you turn the corner is important to new guests. They get a bit of a heads up about the conveyer belt loading.

Wonder if the same portrait would work in that dark corner at the top of the stairs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom