Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

VicariousCorpse

I'm glad they were able to bring back April-December, especially with all four frames! But does she really have to wink? Isn't a changing portrait enough?

I hope they were able to do a lot of repainting and such on the actual ride. The ghosts in the graveyard were barely visible beyond being grayish blobs the last time I rode.
To be fair the original concept had her winking before they cut it down to just 2 slides.

unnamed (1).jpg

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The LA times article had a pretty extensive list of the changes they are making for this refurb. On the whole, it all seems positive. Mostly minor stuff to add to the ambience and general mystery of the attraction. They talk about the April/December addition, minor changes to the drapes, some new flooring in the foyer, a new floating chair in Madame' Leota's room, a new prop or two (including a dollhouse) for the attic, along with the new foliage and a new pet headstone or two outside.

I don't think we'll see much more than that. Nothing at the level that folks are worried about.

That all seems very positive, to me and I'm sure it will look great. The only (very minor) worries I have are over the line about them possibly removing the skeleton from the stretching room (a problem which admittedly, has not happened yet) and with the new temp looking wall across from April/December. I'm sure it'll look nicer in person, I just hope that it doesn't obscure too much of our view of the "boundless realm" loading area. During normal Mansion it's not an issue but during Holiday, I don't think it's a good idea to try and obscure the wonderful advent calendar from Guests in line. Maybe it'll be a non-issue, I haven't seen it for myself yet!

In any case, with any change, the positive side of it means that if they're willing to adjust or update anything; it means they plan on keeping it long term. I'd certainly hate to lose Mansion in my lifetime. Any future changes just assuage my fears of that happening.
1618264091428.png

It really does change the overall feel of that area and looks brighter (though that can just be the exposure on the camera so we can see things). Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hate the "boundless realm". It just doesn't work for me. I'd rather there be a physical set of a foyer or something there.

DavidDL

View attachment 548002
It really does change the overall feel of that area and looks brighter (though that can just be the exposure on the camera so we can see things). Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hate the "boundless realm". It just doesn't work for me. I'd rather there be a physical set of a foyer or something there.

I'm guessing this image is brightened to really show off the changes. I'm not a big fan of the "boundless realm" either, during regular Mansion. But during Holiday, I really like the advent calendar boxes/characters and wouldn't want it hidden on approach to the loading belt.

George Lucas on a Bench

That does "fix" what was a bare wall. Not a bad change. But I could still do with some rubber spiders, that is, if the LA Times are okay with that. Are you okay with rubber spiders, LA Times?

"There are...some people...who believe spiders are magnificent creatures and shouldn't be portrayed in a creepy way. It's just so offensive. What are you doing about this?"
"We're looking in to positive spider representation."

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yep, I really don't see a single cat being added or a portrait as being bad but as you know, some of our lot like to complain about any change.

Our main concern was the removal of the hanging corpse. Seems like they re still considering it. Happy to see it still there but concerned long term.

As far as the changes they all appear to be tasteful and I have no issues with them. Happy to see the April / December portrait back although I am concerned they made the boundless realm too bright. I’ll take the boundless realm over a faux looking changing portrait hallway extension. But I’ve also gone on record saying I prefer boundless realm for how it helps us transition onto the doom buggy’s psychologically. Not sure I like that extra tall fencing to your left as you make a right out of the changing portraits hallway.

CaptinEO

Constance storyline is still there at least with confirmation that they're adding more props to the attic that have to do with each of the husbands.
Maybe they replaced her with the original bride?

Constance reminds me of the early 2000s, and not in a good way.

D.Silentu

Quick thought: One of the chief designers for 'Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey' was hired away by Disney a few years ago. I wonder if some of the moving portrait technology used at Hogwarts found its way to April/December.

CaptinEO

Quick thought: One of the chief designers for 'Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey' was hired away by Disney a few years ago. I wonder if some of the moving portrait technology used at Hogwarts found its way to April/December?
If so it'd look really out of place compared to the other portraits. Unless those were updated as well.

If every portrait became bright 4K OLED screens then the ride will lose a lot of its charm.

Sharon&Susan

View attachment 548002
I first thought those spider webs in that picture were that they were tree branches and they were replacing the boundless realm with an outdoor scene. LOL

I wish that they decorated the black ceiling above and made it match with what's in the portrait hallway. Otherwise it looks good.

AJFireman

So reviewing the old permit for the "picture box" that some of us thought was going to be an in ride photo. I think this new scene is it.

Description:
Disneyland - Haunted Mansion - Tenant Improvement: 962 sq ft for (14) new 9'5" steel panels with lights. Create new opening in existing stud wall for a picture box

The square footage would match. 14 steel panels are those on the left and the picture box on the right. I have not seen any other permits that would indicate constructon of having a ride pboto example being the area to view your photos.

yensidtlaw1969

Our main concern was the removal of the hanging corpse. Seems like they re still considering it. Happy to see it still there but concerned long term.

As far as the changes they all appear to be tasteful and I have no issues with them. Happy to see the April / December portrait back although I am concerned they made the boundless realm too bright. I’ll take the boundless realm over a faux looking changing portrait hallway extension. But I’ve also gone on record saying I prefer boundless realm for how it helps us transition onto the doom buggy’s psychologically. Not sure I like that extra tall fencing to your left as you make a right out of the changing portraits hallway.
In fairness, the Bounless Realm has been too bright for the past 20 years.

My hope with this refurb was that they would restore it to some sense of its former darkened glory. The photos they've released look very bright, but I'm not certain that they preclude it being very dark inside there. I HOPE that it is. The video from the Disney Parks Blog shows clearly that the mysterious blue "mist" on the far side of the loading belt is still there, so they haven't done away with the concept.

Hopefully the new lights are placed strategically such that they illuminate the path for guests without overlighting the rest of the scene. If they managed to do that I will be a VERY happy camper.

Bear550

View attachment 548002
From what i’ve heard from Cast Members is that that area is quite dark. Some that i’ve talked to say they have even requested slightly brighter lights around that area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom