Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

Disneyland/DCA

One-eyed cat? Jeez just leave the haunted mansion alone.

The imagineer who pitched that should have been ballsier and a pitched an idea for a winchester house at DCA using this cat. It keeps leading you down deadends because it has no depth perception.

That way they can have a different supernatural ride to unecessarily tweak in 45 years or sooner.

Also are we to assume this is now April December Gracey? Why does she have such a prominent place in the gallery? And why do I care? lol

Edit:. Just read the article. The portrait is there because it 4 slides instead of 2...

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The imagineer who pitched that should have been ballsier and a pitched an idea for a winchester house at DCA using this cat. It keeps leading you down deadends because it has no depth perception.

That way they can have a different supernatural ride to unecessarily tweak in 45 years or sooner.

Also are we to assume this is now April December Gracey? Why does she have such a prominent place in the gallery? And why do I care? lol
Be happy they didn’t put in a portrait of Mrs. Incredible.

owlsandcoffee

I feel people on these forums will never be pleased. We were all concerned they would be putting in all sorts of new-tech stuff, but instead they brought back an old effect and put in some tasteful references to the ride's history. But even that is unthinkable.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief! "Picture Box" seems to have had nothing to do with a photo op replacement of the ending mirrors or something stupid. Rather, it was the return of another classic previously removed element?

View attachment 547987

Considering they're plugging New Foliage with an extremely terrible Kim Irvine narrated video, I want to say this is all they've got for changes.

It’s probably the main thing. Maybe one other surprise on the same level. They Probably don’t want to give it all away. I predicted 1-2 changes on the April- December level when everyone told me it was just going to be lighting effects.

KIGhostGuy

I'm glad they were able to bring back April-December, especially with all four frames! But does she really have to wink? Isn't a changing portrait enough?

I hope they were able to do a lot of repainting and such on the actual ride. The ghosts in the graveyard were barely visible beyond being grayish blobs the last time I rode.

Brer Oswald

1D93B87C-BC88-4CEA-B1D3-7239AB8280BC.jpeg

DavidDL

This bit from the LA times article has me thinking.

"Recently, some have called for the the removal of a hanging scene in the Haunted Mansion, noting its association with suicide and lynchings.

Disney has heard those complaints, but for now, the scene will remain unchanged. “It’s been discussed for sure,” says Disney’s Michele Hobbs, who managed the Haunted Mansion refurbishment. “It’s definitely something that we’re thinking about.”"

My personal feelings about the changing of this scene aside, what do think they could possibly replace this effect with? During Holiday it works well enough but while it's regular Mansion, the removal of this effect would likely constitute a complete change in narration in the scene. What else could be considered, "my way?". The entire context of the stretching room would likely need to change if Master Gracey's hanging corpse is removed some day. It would be a shame to lose that. What do you guys think could possibly make it work?

Brer Oswald

This bit from the LA times article has me thinking.

"Recently, some have called for the the removal of a hanging scene in the Haunted Mansion, noting its association with suicide and lynchings.

Disney has heard those complaints, but for now, the scene will remain unchanged. “It’s been discussed for sure,” says Disney’s Michele Hobbs, who managed the Haunted Mansion refurbishment. “It’s definitely something that we’re thinking about.”"

My personal feelings about the changing of this scene aside, what do think they could possibly replace this effect with? During Holiday it works well enough but while it's regular Mansion, the removal of this effect would likely constitute a complete change in narration in the scene. What else could be considered, "my way?". The entire context of the stretching room would likely need to change if Master Gracey's hanging corpse is removed some day. It would be a shame to lose that. What do you guys think could possibly make it work?
If the auction scene is anything to go by, they are well versed in altering problematic scenes narrated by Paul Frees. I am sure they will figure it out.

D.Silentu

Early reactions seem to be disdainful, but I can't help but be delighted by what we're getting as opposed to some of the more ostentatious predictions. I'm glad of the aging portrait's return and have stated that the load area lacked visual interest, so I see this as an improvement. My hope for the refurbishment was that they make changes with a lighter touch and unless the video is hiding something significant, I like what I see.

mickEblu

Original Poster

Give it 2-5 years. He ll be gone. They just want to space out their cancel culture activities and not off too much of their core fans at the same time. Especially Mansion fans. They know what a cash cow the Haunted Mansion is for them. Plus Suicide isn’t as hot a topic as Racial tension as soon as it is he’ll be replaced with a projection of some phantom flying around.

George Lucas on a Bench

Early reactions seem to be disdainful, but I can't help but be delighted by what we're getting as opposed to some of the more ostentatious predictions. I'm glad of the aging portrait's return and have stated that the load area lacked visual interest, so I see this as an improvement. My hope for the refurbishment was that they make changes with a lighter touch and unless the video is hiding something significant, I like what I see.

Who is being negative? I probably have them on ignore. Maybe you have me on ignore.

Either way, we can't ignore that this refurbishment doesn't seem to have made any major alterations to the ride and I'm all for it. The less they ruin, the better. So hopefully Disney keeps ignoring HM.

I can't get that excited over a painting. If they added some rubber spiders, now we're talking.

Stevek

Edit:. Just read the article. The portrait is there because it 4 slides instead of 2...
Are you really complaining about 1 cat that was reference to an original design by X Atencio?

Stevek

I feel people on these forums will never be pleased. We were all concerned they would be putting in all sorts of new-tech stuff, but instead they brought back an old effect and put in some tasteful references to the ride's history. But even that is unthinkable.
Yep, I really don't see a single cat being added or a portrait as being bad but as you know, some of our lot like to complain about any change.

owlsandcoffee

To me it sounds like they'll only replace it if they can figure out something that works out better. There needs to be something in the rafters for the scene to work. Personally I admit that having a suicide in a Disney ride is bonkers, but people need to chill out a little bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom