Haunted Mansion Holiday?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I believe I read somewhere that the Haunted Mansion Holiday is coming to WDW this year for the 40th anniversary celebration. Can anyone confirm this?
You will hear that rumor pretty much every single year and you need to look no further than history to give you the answer......It ain't happening. WDW management, especially those in charge of MK, are not fond of seasonal overlays. They take attractions down for set up and take down and they do not get more guests into the park. In short they cost more money than they make at WDW.

puntagordabob

Haunted Mansion Holiday is awesome....

Holiday overlays are awesome over at DLR.... people plan their trips accordingly.... yes they should add them at WDW..... I am sorry that this would have the attraction closed for short periods of time for installation of the overlay and removal after the holidays... these times of closure would be posted well in advance and would tend to be within the same time periods every year...people would adjust and plan their trips accordingly. End result is a better "show" for the holidays and would increase interest substantially.....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Haunted Mansion Holiday is awesome....

Holiday overlays are awesome over at DLR.... people plan their trips accordingly.... yes they should add them at WDW..... I am sorry that this would have the attraction closed for short periods of time for installation of the overlay and removal after the holidays... these times of closure would be posted well in advance and would tend to be within the same time periods every year...people would adjust and plan their trips accordingly. End result is a better "show" for the holidays and would increase interest substantially.....
You hypotheses is predicated something that we know not to be true. That is that the average person will read park schedules, closures, etc and plan around them. While that is true for the people on this forum it s not true for the other 99% of the guests that go to WDW. The vast majority of guests at WDW do little to no research and will show up the week between Christmas and New Years and be flabbergasted that the parks are so crowded. They of course will not blame themselves for lack of planning they will go to guest services and complain, write letters, give negative reviews online, etc. Disney could publish attraction shutdowns years in advance and it would make little difference.

bhg469

I love change and improvements to the parks and rides. I love what I have seen them do to the place on here and I'm dying to see it in person....

Having said that I don't need my favorite attraction overflowing with pale kids in huge pants covered in chains. This is a change that I don't think I will ever welcome.

orky8

You hypotheses is predicated something that we know not to be true. That is that the average person will read park schedules, closures, etc and plan around them. While that is true for the people on this forum it s not true for the other 99% of the guests that go to WDW. The vast majority of guests at WDW do little to no research and will show up the week between Christmas and New Years and be flabbergasted that the parks are so crowded. They of course will not blame themselves for lack of planning they will go to guest services and complain, write letters, give negative reviews online, etc. Disney could publish attraction shutdowns years in advance and it would make little difference.

Not to mention entirely opinionated. HMH is NOT awesome. It is dumb and ruins a classic great. That said, I see why it makes sense at DLR. It makes ZERO sense to do it at WDW, where people visit far less often, and very few (if any) would plan a visit because of the overlay.

bgraham34

Personally I wish they would do something other than HM to be honest. WHile I would love to see it myself its great when the parks do different things.

Mukta

Not to mention entirely opinionated. HMH is NOT awesome. It is dumb and ruins a classic great. That said, I see why it makes sense at DLR. It makes ZERO sense to do it at WDW, where people visit far less often, and very few (if any) would plan a visit because of the overlay.

I disagree about the overlay being dumb. I think the overlay does a great job of adding an ominous Halloween spirit with a splash of Christmas thrown in.
For those posters saying that it is a Christmas overlay, it really does fit for Halloween. The stretching room definitely doesn't feel like Christmas.
I do agree that is makes more sense for DL because of the locals visiting so frequently.

Thrill Seeker

have you experienced Haunted Mansion Holiday? It's amazing how not only they transform the regular attraction into a whole new experience but also have they weave the two storylines together (more or less) so that elements of the original attraction are still apparently with the Jack story.

It's an amazing offering and a great mixup from running the normal show 9 months out of the year. I would love to see it in Orlando and I think more guests would be happy to see such an overlay added to increase the Holiday (both Halloween and Christmas) offerings than would be upset by it.

I would most definitely like to see the Country Bear Christmas show come back as well...that's some funny stuff I don't care who you are, and a holiday overlay on the Country Bears would increase ridership at this point for the neglected attraction.

Country Bears Christmas won't return due to licencing fees related to the music it used.

Goofnut1980

Doesn't it take them shutting down the HM for a few months to complete the overlay? I would love to see it, but I know guests would be screaming that it was down.

JustInTime

have you experienced Haunted Mansion Holiday? It's amazing how not only they transform the regular attraction into a whole new experience but also have they weave the two storylines together (more or less) so that elements of the original attraction are still apparently with the Jack story.

It's an amazing offering and a great mixup from running the normal show 9 months out of the year. I would love to see it in Orlando and I think more guests would be happy to see such an overlay added to increase the Holiday (both Halloween and Christmas) offerings than would be upset by it.

I would most definitely like to see the Country Bear Christmas show come back as well...that's some funny stuff I don't care who you are, and a holiday overlay on the Country Bears would increase ridership at this point for the neglected attraction.

No, I agree that it's neat. But I don't get the idea being changing your only scary-themed ride to have a predominately Christmas theme for Halloween. It just doesn't make sense to me. I say keep it away.

PalisadesPkteer

No, I agree that it's neat. But I don't get the idea being changing your only scary-themed ride to have a predominately Christmas theme for Halloween. It just doesn't make sense to me. I say keep it away.

Have to admit I agree with this. I have been on the HM Holiday version in DL.

While it was "neat", after a few times through it lost a lot of its appeal.

The original classic version of HM is really the best.

Really do not care to have the holiday version of HM at WDW. I would really much have the Holiday / Christmas versions of CBJ and the Holiday version of It's a Small World.

TP2000

So is it truly confirmed that the Country Bear Christmas Special won't be returning to WDW again this year? That was my favorite version of the Country Bear Jamboree, with the Vacation Hoedown my least favorite.

If the Christmas Bears don't return, that leaves all of WDW with its four theme parks without any seasonal overlays at either Halloween or Christmas. That's a shame, as you would think they could find one or two attraction overlays to offer somewhere on property.

Disneyland USA Seasonal Overlays

Halloween
  • Haunted Mansion Holiday
  • Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy
Christmas
  • It's A Small World Holiday

Tokyo Disneyland Seasonal Overlays

Halloween
Christmas
  • Country Bear Christmas Special

Hong Kong Disneyland Overlays

Halloween
Christmas

Longhairbear

The holidays are the most sought after for accommodations at the various DVC resorts. The point cost is higher, and the units book up 11 months in advance. The reason is because guests want to experience WDW all dressed up for the holidays. The same is true for DLR.
That said, I think there is another reason TDO won't do a Holiday Mansion, as the guests are there for just that type of thing, and are spending more to see it. There is the whole rest of the year to see Haunted Mansion without an overlay, and the room rates are cheaper, and easier to book.

devoy1701

So is it truly confirmed that the Country Bear Christmas Special won't be returning to WDW again this year? That was my favorite version of the Country Bear Jamboree, with the Vacation Hoedown my least favorite.

If the Christmas Bears don't return, that leaves all of WDW with its four theme parks without any seasonal overlays at either Halloween or Christmas. That's a shame, as you would think they could find one or two attraction overlays to offer somewhere on property.

Disneyland USA Seasonal Overlays

Halloween
Christmas

Tokyo Disneyland Seasonal Overlays

Halloween
Christmas
  • Country Bear Christmas Special

Hong Kong Disneyland Overlays

Halloween
Christmas

Thanks for the list TP. Does Paris not have any overlays either?

Back to my question, if it's a "licensing issue" with the songs that are in CB Christmas, how come it can still be performed at Tokyo but not at WDW? Where did ThrillSeeker get the idea that it was a licensing issue?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for the list TP. Does Paris not have any overlays either?

Back to my question, if it's a "licensing issue" with the songs that are in CB Christmas, how come it can still be performed at Tokyo but not at WDW? Where did ThrillSeeker get the idea that it was a licensing issue?
Shortly after the CBJ overlay went bye-bye there was a rumor floating around that it was due to a licencing issue. The show was going to be reworked and would return the next year. I can only assume that it where ThrillSeeker got it from.

Skip

Shortly after the CBJ overlay went bye-bye there was a rumor floating around that it was due to a licencing issue. The show was going to be reworked and would return the next year. I can only assume that it where ThrillSeeker got it from.

I believe the rumor stated the licensing issue revolved around the use of the "Rudolph" song - a claim I now call shennanigans on, since the Rudolph song was sung by Mike Wazowski in "A Very Tomorrowland Christmas" a few years back...

Seems to me the Country Bears Christmas Show's departure was only caused by simple greed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom