Haunted Mansion Changing Portrait Update

JohnD

I hate it. For one thing it doesn’t work half the time anyway. More importantly it’s very obvious that it’s a projected animation. The old version, although a centuries old effect, actually made people question how it was done. The ghosts had depth because they were actual physical models. The new effect by comparison is flat.

Now I know why the effect wasn't working when I went in December. They were working on an "improvement." (Cough).

Magenta Panther

I hate it. For one thing it doesn’t work half the time anyway. More importantly it’s very obvious that it’s a projected animation. The old version, although a centuries old effect, actually made people question how it was done. The ghosts had depth because they were actual physical models. The new effect by comparison is flat.

THIS.

The original effect was breathtaking. I'll never forget seeing it for the first time. Completely convincing.

The new effect, by comparison is: Oh. Animation on a screen. Like on my TV back home. Eh.

IT'S A TOTAL FAIL.

And that's another reason I freaked out over the so-called changing-portrait "upgrade". We've seen the messes TDO can make of things when it replaces old-but-still-functioning effects. I hope that this time there IS an improvement. And that someday the original Hitchhiking Ghost effect is restored. They brought back the Hatbox Ghost, after all...

yensidtlaw1969

Guys . . . to reiterate, it isn't finished yet. It's being messed with in the 3rd shift. Lots of the lighting in the Mansion is being upgraded to LED, and this is one of those. The effect hasn't been changed, they just updated some fixtures and are balancing it out.

Pretty soon everything will be back to normal. They're just not finished yet.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
The original had been barely visible for years now. Subtlety is great, but the effect barely worked and looked like it barely worked.

The new version is too bright, but not way too bright or experience ruining. Just a bit too bright. And I'd take a bit too bright over barely visible any day.

That being said, I hope this really does get adjusted more. Because I'd hate to see them fix a problem with a less bad problem over a real solution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom