Hate Mission: Space! Want Horizons back!

adv.bluedude

I dont hate M:S, but I dont particularly like it. In fact, I very rarely take the time to ride it. Horizons was Epcot at its best, and I miss it. I often think of Disney building a Horizons 2.0, but after seeing what Disney's new offerings have included in recent years I think the scale would be much smaller and less impressive than the original. Horizons 2.0 would likely fall way short of fan expectations. I will always have good memories of the orginal, and any recreation would likely just make me miss the original more. Time to move on. Unfortunately!

Couldnt agree more. Also, in response to the vid, I would love to see Horizons again but I think one of the main reasons the ride was closed was because it was getting outdated and Eisner didnt want to spend money to update it(something like that). Also, to your comment about air sockness bags in mission space, if i remember correctly, their also in Mickey's Fun Wheel

yeti

I tend to find my forehead hitting my keyboard.

Horizons was in desperate need of a refurb. It wasn't in shambles.

A centrifuge is innovative? Yeah, that back hall exit queue is Disney's finest theming to date. They sure do know how to paint fancy lines on a wall!

Amen! Again.

I'm just following Martin from thread to thread repeating "Amen!"

OK, it was in desperate need of a refurb, then. Whichever way
you want to put it.

Is a centrifuge innovative? No, not anymore anyway. Is a centrifuge specifically programmed to give park guests the sensation of an outer space flight, with a high resolution video screen, innovative? I don't see why not!

Yeah, the exit corridor sucks. But don't ignore the attraction's impressive facade, and the queue, though not excuisitely themed, is colorful, modernized, and gives the illusion well enough that you are in a futuristic spaceport/mission training centre/ whatever you want to call it.

maggiegrace1

Mission Space is dumb, pointless, a waste of precious space and dumb..again..:D

Horizons..was amazing, wonderful, great and amazing..again..:D

Oh, I want World of Motion back also..Thank you very much...and in place of Wonders of Life..we can put If you had Wings there..:D

Hrudey3032

I've never been on Mission Space but I loved Horizons. They have a ride vehicle up for sale on Ebay (a while ago they did anyway).

YEa they have that out at Mouse Surplus in Florida. I have a up close pic of it somewhere.Mouse Surplus BTW was a waste of time and out in the sticks :lookaroun

THEMEPARKPIONEER

They should make a horizons where there is a choice between thrill mode and calm mode when the screens come up. Thrill mode is a different screen show and the omnomover moves with it like star tours. I thought for shure after seeing the jetson looking cartoon on Spaceship Earth I would see some Horizons scenery pop up at the end of the ride. But instead we got glowing triangles and fiber optic stars during the screen show. I definitely think Wonders of Life should be ripped down to make way for Horizons. It seems the 3 out of 5 pavilions I loved the most in Future World are gone... The old ending of Spaceship Earth with Jeremy Irons, The original Journey into your Imagination and Horizons. All there is now is The Living Seas and Test Track..

mcjaco

OK, it was in desperate need of a refurb, then. Whichever way
you want to put it.

Is a centrifuge innovative? No, not anymore anyway. Is a centrifuge specifically programmed to give park guests the sensation of an outer space flight, with a high resolution video screen, innovative? I don't see why not!

Yeah, the exit corridor sucks. But don't ignore the attraction's impressive facade, and the queue, though not excuisitely themed, is colorful, modernized, and gives the illusion well enough that you are in a futuristic spaceport/mission training centre/ whatever you want to call it.

I love the fascade. It's very photogenic. The entrance queue is nice too, although I don't think as immersive as Horizons. That exit queue is just terrible. So much could have been done there. A hallway in the actual Mars base perhaps? With fake rooms and hallways shooting off to give you the feeling of being somewhere new? How hard would that have been?

Oh, I want World of Motion back also..Thank you very much...and in place of Wonders of Life..we can put If you had Wings there..:D

YES, YES, YES!

Courtney1188

I hate these threads... (yeah, I know, "then why do you post in them?" Because I'm annoyed.) Most people really like Mission: Space! I am one of those people, I love it and have never experienced the sensation M:S gives me on any other ride.

Disney HAS to change and update their attractions. It is a theme park, not a museum! There just seem to be so many people on this thread who want Disney to spend tons of money rebuilding attractions that were removed for a reason...that's not progress, that's moving backwards. The only one I agree with is Imagination, it's had some horrible refurbs. But replacing current, exciting, popular attractions with ones that use older, outdated technology that Disney already spent tons of money building the first time and then tearing it down?? Makes no sense!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I hate these threads... (yeah, I know, "then why do you post in them?" Because I'm annoyed.) Most people really like Mission: Space! I am one of those people, I love it and have never experienced the sensation M:S gives me on any other ride.

Disney HAS to change and update their attractions. It is a theme park, not a museum! There just seem to be so many people on this thread who want Disney to spend tons of money rebuilding attractions that were removed for a reason...that's not progress, that's moving backwards. The only one I agree with is Imagination, it's had some horrible refurbs. But replacing current, exciting, popular attractions with ones that use older, outdated technology that Disney already spent tons of money building the first time and then tearing it down?? Makes no sense!

Imagination and the ending of Spaceship Earth is an issue. Horizons would be good but in a totally different form. As much as I complain to I am starting to think negative thoughts I shouldn't have in the parks. Imagination sucks but spaceship earth did meet me half way this year so for that I really cant complain. It does bum me that they had the opportunity to put mission space somewhere else and keep horizons. Thats what I heard just for the record.

mcjaco

With that argument, Peter Pan, IASW, Snow White, Mad Hatter, Jungle Cruise, etc, etc, etc, should be torn out too.

It holds no water.

Grumpy Old Fool

Original Poster
With that argument, Peter Pan, IASW, Snow White, Mad Hatter, Jungle Cruise, etc, etc, etc, should be torn out too.

It holds no water.

I never intended to be taken literally. Obviously I'm not advocating that Mission: Space be torn down and Horizons be rebuilt on the same spot.

What bothered me when Mission: Space replaced Horizons is that from my point of view M:S just isn't in the same league in terms of showmanship, imagination, and scope. Mission: Space is like a really fast Tilt-a-Whirl with a TV set.

Lately it seems to me that when Disney goes to replace an e-ticket (as we've seen with JII), the level of ambition often goes down instead of up.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Only cause your
chicken.jpg

glee

I agree but we will never please every body :cry:
;)

dweezil78

What bothered me when Mission: Space replaced Horizons is that from my point of view M:S just isn't in the same league in terms of showmanship, imagination, and scope. Mission: Space is like a really fast Tilt-a-Whirl with a TV set.

Lately it seems to me that when Disney goes to replace an e-ticket (as we've seen with JII), the level of ambition often goes down instead of up.

This is my criticism as well. I'm 100% for new experiences - but when you compare what Disney did with Horizons in 1983 vs. Mission Space in 2003 it's clear that there was wayyy more thought, effort, and innovation put into the 1983 attraction. The friggin' SOUNDTRACK for Horizons probably had more love put into it than all of Mission Space!

And honestly folks, for those of you who say you've never had a similar experience to Mission Space, go for a spin on a Gravitron next time your local fair comes to town. It's not the same exact setup, I know, but you're going to get the same experience out of it. And if you're lucky, some awesome power metal from the 80s too! :)

One final thought, as it pertains to the Mission Space exit. At the end of the flight you're said to have safely landed on Mars. At no point, as far as I could tell, do they ever tell you it was just a simulation. But instead of walking out to a Mars themed exit, you're just in a sterile hallway?!? What gives???

mcjaco

I say that observation is right on.

One final thought, as it pertains to the Mission Space exit. At the end of the flight you're said to have safely landed on Mars. At no point, as far as I could tell, do they ever tell you it was just a simulation. But instead of walking out to a Mars themed exit, you're just in a sterile hallway?!? What gives???

There's a huge hole in the story in M:S. They seem to indicate that it's a training mission, but not a simulation, then it's a simulation that's a training mission. I can never ascertain what they h e double hockey sticks, is supposed to be happening. Am I on a real training mission or simply a simulation??? :confused:

imagineer boy

There's a huge hole in the story in M:S. They seem to indicate that it's a training mission, but not a simulation, then it's a simulation that's a training mission. I can never ascertain what they h e double hockey sticks, is supposed to be happening. Am I on a real training mission or simply a simulation??? :confused:

Agreed! Now I like M:S, but this always drives me crazy. They never make the story clear.

Apparently its supposed to be a simulation though. Which I don't like either because it takes a lot of the intenisty out of the experience. It's like going on the Haunted Mansion and the ghost host tells you its all fake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom