Hatbox Ghost is Disney World?

seahawk7

Not yet, I'm graduating from college tomorrow and I need every dime I can earn for loans. I'm hoping to be able to go within the next two years.
My point is that there are some very special rides at DL that I think WDW should have because not everyone can afford to go to both parks and why should those customers miss out on Carsland because people want it to be unique to DL? There are other rides I could mention but the point is already made with just mentioning Carsland.

And that is why I want the Hatbox ghost at WDW. I would like to see him and I can't afford to do both parks.

Californian Elitist

My point is that there are some very special rides at DL that I think WDW should have because not everyone can afford to go to both parks and why should those customers miss out on Carsland because people want it to be unique to DL? There are other rides I could mention but the point is already made with just mentioning Carsland.

Some people can't afford many things, including trips to different places. That shouldn't mean everything should be the same. People miss out on things, that's life.

Based on this logic, Disney should build Animal Kingdom and Epcot in California, since some people won't be able to get to Florida, correct? Also, the water parks should be built in California, too.

seahawk7

Some people can't afford many things, including trips to different places. That shouldn't mean everything should be the same. People miss out on things, that's life.

Based on this logic, Disney should build Animal Kingdom and Epcot in California, since some people won't be able to get to Florida, correct? Also, the water parks should be built in California, too.
Not enough room in California isn't that why Walt acquired land in Florida?

Californian Elitist

Not enough room in California isn't that why Walt acquired land in Florida?

Walt Disney needed space for his man-made city, E.P.C.O.T., which never truly came to fruition.

You didn't answer my question. Based on your logic, Disney should have Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, and the water parks built in California, right? Or just all the special rides from those parks?

seahawk7

Walt Disney needed space for his man-made city, E.P.C.O.T., which never truly came to fruition.

You didn't answer my question. Based on your logic, Disney should have Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, and the water parks built in California, right? Or just all the special rides from those parks?
I'm not opposed to those parks being built in California. I don't understand the importance of uniqueness. I do, however understand enjoyment and if people have more opportunity to enjoy all things Disney, why do you have an argument against it?

lazyboy97o

I'm not opposed to those parks being built in California. I don't understand the importance of uniqueness. I do, however understand enjoyment and if people have more opportunity to enjoy all things Disney, why do you have an argument against it?
Uniqueness is part of a culture that strives for more.

Travel Junkie

I'd counter that uniqueness for the sake of uniqueness is not something that should be aspired for. If there is a feature that is extremly cool, it should be spread out for as many millions as possible to enjoy.

That's not to say innovation should stagnate. If there's a better way to enhance the attraction, then Disney should pursue that. If they have however reached the pinnacle of design with a certain feature (hatbox is pretty close) I say let them share.

Uniqueness is only helpful for the small few who are able to make it to both coasts. Greater attraction sharing benefits millions who may visit one in their lifetime.

One part of the uniqueness argument is that it encourages fans to visit both resorts. A common reason heard why certain people do not go to both WDW and DLR is “they are basically the same.” When Carsland debuted and became apparent it would not immediately be cloned at WDW you all of a sudden get a lot of talk on fan sites about WDW only visitors planning their first visit to DLR. Is this number in the millions? No, but you get a fair amount of people that want to see both U.S. resorts (not to mention the international resorts that are have even more differences.) If they were more unique, you would likely see even more visit both coasts. It is for this reason why I hope that each resort gets different Star Wars lands. It would be a shame if Disney theme parks were like a chain store and all looked essentially the same.

Californian Elitist

I'm not opposed to people enjoying Disney. At the same time, I like variety and honor uniqueness. I've always been that way, and that includes things in general, not just Disney parks.

I especially have no sympathy for those who do have the money to travel across the country to visit the different Disney resorts, but refuse to, simply because they don't want to, then on top of that, want all the "special attractions" to come to the resort they regularly visit, such as the OP.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because I can see no amount of explaining or reasoning will change either of our minds.

seahawk7

I appreciate that but we are talking about bringing enjoyment to families. I understand people on these forums want to discuss the specifics of each park but think of when you were a child. Would you want to see Carsland if that was your favorite movie?
Would you be stoked to see the Hatbox ghost if he was a character you saw on t-shirts?
All things Disney are meant for creating enjoyment and happiness first above everything else.

seahawk7

I'm not opposed to people enjoying Disney. At the same time, I like variety and honor uniqueness. I've always been that way, and that includes things in general, not just Disney parks.

I especially have no sympathy for those who do have the money to travel across the country to visit the different Disney resorts, but refuse to, simply because they don't want to, then on top of that, want all the "special attractions" to come to the resort they regularly visit, such as the OP.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because I can see no amount of explaining or reasoning will change either of our minds.
I can understand that.

seahawk7

One part of the uniqueness argument is that it encourages fans to visit both resorts. A common reason heard why certain people do not go to both WDW and DLR is “they are basically the same.” When Carsland debuted and became apparent it would not immediately be cloned at WDW you all of a sudden get a lot of talk on fan sites about WDW only visitors planning their first visit to DLR. Is this number in the millions? No, but you get a fair amount of people that want to see both U.S. resorts (not to mention the international resorts that are have even more differences.) If they were more unique, you would likely see even more visit both coasts. It is for this reason why I hope that each resort gets different Star Wars lands. It would be a shame if Disney theme parks were like a chain store and all looked essentially the same.
They will never look the same. DL has something that can't be replicated: Walt Disney touches. His office light on, the restaurant where he ate, the salon type restaurant where he climbed up onto the balcony seats. DL has so much of Walt Disney that WDW will never have: memories of him. What's the harm in sharing some of its rides?

lazyboy97o

I appreciate that but we are talking about bringing enjoyment to families. I understand people on these forums want to discuss the specifics of each park but think of when you were a child. Would you want to see Carsland if that was your favorite movie?
Would you be stoked to see the Hatbox ghost if he was a character you saw on t-shirts?
All things Disney are meant for creating enjoyment and happiness first above everything else.
Creating enjoyment and happiness is not at all related to any of that. The parks should be the primary experience, not a manifestation of other products such as films or merchandise.

Travel Junkie

And that is why I want the Hatbox ghost at WDW. I would like to see him and I can't afford to do both parks.

I don’t buy the can only afford to go to one resort argument for the most part. For some people I’m sure it is a big difference, but for most it is not that big of a price difference. If airfare to DLR is more expensive for example and you normally stay onsite at WDW, you stay off site at DLR and save a ton on hotels. It evens out. With LA and Orlando both being competitive airfare markets, you can usually get a good deal if you are patient.

DDLand

If you're talking about the ways Disney is unique, then you've got me. Disney has strived to be unique among other amusment parks. It basically invented the modern theme park we enjoy. Disney's uniqueness in its field is one of the most basic attributes of the company.

Or at least it should be.

However when these two parks are Sister Parks, look alike, and have found the pinnacle of designing something then cross branding is generally a good thing. There's no inherent disadvantage to these moves, in fact there are many positives. Cost sharing helps one attraction turn out better because multiple resorts foot the bill. Everyone is better off. Shunning that for the sake of a small subset of users isn't good practise. You could drop me in most any Magic Kingdom (except HKDL...they went crazy there) and I could pretty easily find my way around. There's no need to reinvent the wheel (no pun intended) of Magic Kingdom design each time.

Travel Junkie

They will never look the same. DL has something that can't be replicated: Walt Disney touches. His office light on, the restaurant where he ate, the salon type restaurant where he climbed up onto the balcony seats. DL has so much of Walt Disney that WDW will never have: memories of him. What's the harm in sharing some of its rides?

The average guest doesn't realize that though. They think they are virtually identical except that DLR has a smaller castle is something you hear a lot. It took Carsland for a lot of WDW only guests to even entertain the thought of trying DLR.

I believe technology should be shared, but used in different ways. Test Track and RSR is a great example of that. I like that both resorts have Space Mountains, but are very different. We now have several Disney resorts around the world. If we want clones or near clones I think the best business decision would be for sharing among the group of resorts. DLR and Hong Kong get the same parade. WDW got Avatar and they pushed it on Tokyo but they didn't want it, so maybe put it in Shanghai.

Californian Elitist

I don’t buy the can only afford to go to one resort argument for the most part. For some people I’m sure it is a big difference, but for most it is not that big of a price difference. If airfare to DLR is more expensive for example and you normally stay onsite at WDW, you stay off site at DLR and save a ton on hotels. It evens out. With LA and Orlando both being competitive airfare markets, you can usually get a good deal if you are patient.

Exactly. If one can drop thousands of dollars for their family to spend two WEEKS at WDW, coming up with the cash to spend a few days at the DLR shouldn't be that big of a problem.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Is this a possibility at all. I don't want to go to California to see this amazing piece of work. Does anyone believe the east coast will introduce him to our haunted mansion?
No. He was never a part of the MK Haunted Mansion lore. Only Disneyland lore.

He should be left on the West Coast, where he had (at least according to rumor) a home.

Hatty is unique to their version of Haunted Mansion, as was the lore of it (there was never fan lore that he was in the MK version, because it's quite clear he never was...).

We have the Escher stair room, they have Hatty. We have animated hitchhiking ghosts, they have two pet cemeteries (for the time being). Attractions cannot and SHOULD not be the same at every park, even if they are the same general theme.

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, I can't afford to go to both DL and WDW right now, so can they please transplant EPCOT, Liberty Square, PeopleMover and Animal Kingdom so I can ride Countdown to Extinction?

Flippin'Flounder

Some of us drive...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom