News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

peter11435

I'm old enough to remember when Hatbox Ghost just had to go where it went because it wasn't possible to put him in the attic because of top secret information (haunted mansion sits on top of a nuclear missile silo I guess). I am shocked to learn that was hogwash and it turns out they just installed Hatbox in the cheapest location possible.
Who said it wasn’t possible to put him in the attic because of anything like that?

celluloid

I'm old enough to remember when Hatbox Ghost just had to go where it went because it wasn't possible to put him in the attic because of top secret information (haunted mansion sits on top of a nuclear missile silo I guess). I am shocked to learn that was hogwash and it turns out they just installed Hatbox in the cheapest location possible.

Do you remember me being insulted by this as if I should just trust?

yensidtlaw1969

That's an incorrect assessment of the situation.

The cheapest location possible is nowhere. If they were as concerned about the money as you say they would simply have not added him.

There are places in the WDW Mansion that would have been cheaper to add him. On his own he is already an expensive figure, but due to unique features of WDW's Mansion he was additionally expensive. So adding him to The Endless Hallway was neither cheap nor the cheapest option.

There are factors in his placement that shouldn't properly be discussed online. Sorry. I know it stinks. But some of it is the kind of info where as soon as you learn it becomes evident why the public shouldn't.

haveyoumetmark

Don't wanna hazard kicking up any more dust about the hatbox ghost placement... his current spot was probably as best as they could do :)

Last edited:

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
There are factors in his placement that shouldn't properly be discussed online. Sorry. I know it stinks. But some of it is the kind of info where as soon as you learn it becomes evident why the public shouldn't.
The attic is insulated with asbestos. Most people don’t realize that’s how a third of the happy haunts died. It’s quite sad, actually.

Disney Analyst

There is a reason the Keys to the Kingdom don't go to that side.

But Tunnel juice is a matter of when, not if.

True story moment, the major renovation for Space Mt over a decade ago now included removing the asbestos from the ceiling dome.

The tour really should go that way, just so they can get the true experience. Also should go near the utildor entrance at the back / under fantasyland, walk right by a room full of… furry heads.

celluloid

The tour really should go that way, just so they can get the true experience. Also should go near the utildor entrance at the back / under fantasyland, walk right by a room full of… furry heads.
That could be abrupt to some. But if we really want to startle, traumatize and confuse, they should be forced to eat at the Mousecateria and sent on a scavenger hunt to find any labels of "Ballzac" left over.

Last edited:

cranbiz

That could be abrupt to some. But if we really want to startle, traumatize and confuse, they should be forced to eat at the Mousecateria and sent on a scavenger hunt to find any labels of "Ballzac" left over.
That's just too cruel.

Main St Bistro was just as bad however, it was a heck of a lot closer for bus cast than the Mousecateria.

celluloid

That's just too cruel.

Main St Bistro was just as bad however, it was a heck of a lot closer for bus cast than the Mousecateria.

Yeah. Wayyyyy back in the day I assisted in what middle managment called "support " and had to clean the garbage there. Hated that.

Not as much as Casey's Corner, but it was gross.

brettf22

Premium Member
The attic is insulated with asbestos. Most people don’t realize that’s how a third of the happy haunts died. It’s quite sad, actually.

…Probably the truth, honestly.
I’m not sure why asbestos would be such a show stopper. If you’re in any building that is over 50 years old, chances are pretty high it’s all around you. Abatement, while not cheap, is not prohibitively expensive, and is fairly straight forward.

Source: see my previous post about currently renovating a 70 year old commercial building.

lazyboy97o

I’m not sure why asbestos would be such a show stopper. If you’re in any building that is over 50 years old, chances are pretty high it’s all around you. Abatement, while not cheap, is not prohibitively expensive, and is fairly straight forward.

Source: see my previous post about currently renovating a 70 year old commercial building.
Asbestos was everywhere in the Magic Kingdom and the other early facilities. Disney though did undertake an extensive abatement program so it should be removed from most places where it was used.

Castle Cake Apologist

True story moment, the major renovation for Space Mt over a decade ago now included removing the asbestos from the ceiling dome.

Having worked in Tomorrowland Ops at the time, I can confirm that this is true. However, it's not really surprising or scandalous that the resort would have been built with a lot of asbestos in the early days.

Last edited:

celluloid

Having worked in Tomorrowland Ops at the time, I can confirm that this is true. However, it's not really surprising or scandalous that the resort would have been built with a lot of asbestos in the early days.
I was not trying to make it scandalous. Just stating a fact. It is done all the time it just has to be/should be done very carefully.
Pretty much every majority of public school across the US and projects they have every year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom