News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

yensidtlaw1969

Imagineering could benefit from a little retrospective. And reread some of it's founding principals and core commandments... Or at least listen to reason, fandom and internal counter arguments. Unrelated, seems like Uni isn't having any difficulty in poaching former Imagineers. 🤔 Wonder why?

And yes, I definitely feel like Hattie's placement is a blight on the Orlando mansion. But, whatever.
Imagineering spoke up plenty about why The Endless Hallway was problematic for The HBG.

They were not driving this train.

Dranth

Imagineering could benefit from a little retrospective. And reread some of it's founding principals and core commandments... Or at least listen to reason, fandom and internal counter arguments. Unrelated, seems like Uni isn't having any difficulty in poaching former Imagineers. 🤔 Wonder why?

And yes, I definitely feel like Hattie's placement is a blight on the Orlando mansion. But, whatever.
Wasn't Universal Creative just gutted recently?

lazyboy97o

Budgets aren’t just pulled out of the air but they’re also set before a lot is known. The big risk with any project in an existing facility is that you don’t really know everything about the existing conditions and you won’t until you start doing demolition. This risk increases the older a facilities is because documentation is less detailed and less readily available.

“They’ve done it before” is not really true. Just because show set pieces were fabricated in duplicate doesn’t make the buildings the same, something readily apparent by the differences in the rides. Even if they did start off the same, a half century of being operated, maintained and updated differently is going to have an impact. Starting with the Disneyland project though remains a reasonable starting point for budgeting because estimating is done by making comparisons and it is the closest comparison available.

The HGTV remodel moment of drama where they rip open a wall and find something awful is actually very real scenario that does happen. So is the subsequent conversation about what is going to be changed, scaled back or cut in order to pay for this newfound problem.

All design projects proceed in phases. You go from the vague to the details. You start with assumptions that are not always true.

celluloid

The movie that Disney spent near 200 million on had The Hatbox as a main character and story point. Management was going to make sure that character would come in WDW that same year one way or another.

Unfortunately, we got another.

Tha Realest

Budgets aren’t just pulled out of the air but they’re also set before a lot is known. The big risk with any project in an existing facility is that you don’t really know everything about the existing conditions and you won’t until you start doing demolition. This risk increases the older a facilities is because documentation is less detailed and less readily available.

“They’ve done it before” is not really true. Just because show set pieces were fabricated in duplicate doesn’t make the buildings the same, something readily apparent by the differences in the rides. Even if they did start off the same, a half century of being operated, maintained and updated differently is going to have an impact. Starting with the Disneyland project though remains a reasonable starting point for budgeting because estimating is done by making comparisons and it is the closest comparison available.

The HGTV remodel moment of drama where they rip open a wall and find something awful is actually very real scenario that does happen. So is the subsequent conversation about what is going to be changed, scaled back or cut in order to pay for this newfound problem.

All design projects proceed in phases. You go from the vague to the details. You start with assumptions that are not always true.
Our next door neighbors were in the midst of a rehab when they found out - after they opened it - that one of the walls was not weight-bearing as they had assumed.

brettf22

Premium Member
The big risk with any project in an existing facility is that you don’t really know everything about the existing conditions and you won’t until you start doing demolition. This risk increases the older a facilities is because documentation is less detailed and less readily available.

As I am knee deep in the renovation of a 70 year old commercial building, I can, unfortunately, confirm.

To borrow a phrase, there are:
1. Lies
2. Damn Lies
3. As-Built Documentation

Indy_UK

That is disappointing to hear - based on initial observations I was hopeful that he would be a positive influence at WDW.

I don’t know for sure but I get the impression that he’s a typical bean counter who’s there to help maximise profits.

Mickey views in the past have mentioned that projects for WDW don’t even go as far as Josh as Jeff puts a stop to them

Marc Davis Fan

if all goes according to plan there should be some other nice improvements coming to the ride at DL
Hopefully the other improvements include more “show” for the Foyer… which is a true show scene in every Haunted Mansion but DL’s… But now that they’ve used the “slowly-changing portrait” effect in the load area, I’m not sure what visually-engaging element could work in the Foyer…

celluloid

Hopefully the other improvements include more “show” for the Foyer… which is a true show scene in every Haunted Mansion but DL’s… But now that they’ve used the “slowly-changing portrait” effect in the load area, I’m not sure what visually-engaging element could work in the Foyer…

I don't trust current design to be subtle. And it is a great slow reveal as it is.

Marc Davis Fan

I don't trust current design to be subtle.

That's a good point... sadly. Considering HBG's story-destroying placement in WDW's HM, maybe we should hope they don't do much.

I would've been happy with WDW's slow-changing Foyer portrait in DL's Foyer (before they added the same effect to DL's load area, of course), but on the other hand, as you say, DL's Foyer works in its own way as a slower reveal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom